Caddy Racing Banned

MaryC

Lady of Leisure
Reaction score
Handicap
Back9 Beer
Kip Henley and Brian Gay both just tweeted that the PGA Tour has officially banned the famous or infamous, depending on your point of view, caddy races that happen at the WM Phoenix Open on the 16th.

Apparently the tour considers them a distraction and conduct unbecoming of the caddies.

Kip (Brian Gay's caddy) and his brother Brent (Robert Garrigus' caddy) participated in one of the all time best caddy races last year. I'd post a youtube video if Tapatalk would let me (sure someone will in this thread).

Phoenixisn't the only stop that features caddy races. During practice rounds at the Crowne Plaza and the Deutsche Bank they have a caddy race on select par 3's. Player bets at all three events get split between winning caddy and charity.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the races as they highlight the other half of the player team and think the PGA Tour has other things it should deal with like idiots screaming stupid things at the tee boxes and slow-pokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here you go, Mary!

Normally, I would agree with the banning. But not at this tournament, on this hole.

Here you go, Mary!

Thanks Smalls! Does anyone else find the irony or hypocracy that this clip was posted by the PGA Tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I've always enjoyed the races as they highlight the other half of the player team and think the PGA Tour has other things it should deal with like idiots screaming stupid things at the tee boxes and slow-pokes.

Creating the "party atmosphere" at some events, Phoenix in particular, is at least partially responsible for the more casual attitude of the fans and thus, the yelling.

Personally, I think the tour should basically put out the message that Phoenix is the one-and-only "party" event. They should allow caddie races, throwing trinkets to the crowds, etc at that event, but not anywhere else.

That's a pretty lame thing for the Tour to do, IMO. It's one event and it's already embraced a rowdier atmosphere, so why draw the line there? Golf is admittedly in a position where it needs to loosen up and attract new participants/fans. So taking away something that might actually interest the average sports fan who isn't a golf fan makes tons of sense. :banghead:

Sweet, the PGA Tour furthering the image of the average golfer as being a stuffy old man.

I understand we don't want widespread caddie races as that would be excessive, cheap, and lame. However, taking it away from WM Phoenix Open is a terrible call. That hole is unlike any other in golf and the races is part of the charm there. That one should have been left alone.

I was working to caddy in this event for that sole reason of being in a race...This is so stupid to not allow it.

That's a pretty lame thing for the Tour to do, IMO. It's one event and it's already embraced a rowdier atmosphere, so why draw the line there? Golf is admittedly in a position where it needs to loosen up and attract new participants/fans. So taking away something that might actually interest the average sports fan who isn't a golf fan makes tons of sense. :banghead:
+1 agree 100%

Sometimes it feels like the governing bodies are working in an alternate universe, worried about fixing things in the game that are of zero consequence to the average golfer and missing all the stuff that really needs improving.

I agree with the banning! Golf is a prestigious sport, and should be held to a certain level of decorum! I have stopped going to tournaments because of the excessive drinking and rowdiness!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I dont agree with this in any aspect. I love watching them at the WM Phoenix Open and watching them in person at the Crowne Plaza. Golf is fun, let it be so!!

Sweet, the PGA Tour furthering the image of the average golfer as being a stuffy old man.

+1
I heard some ladies laughing on the course I was playing tonight and they absolutely disrupted my golf game. There should not be any fun allowed on course at all! Happiness ought to be left in the parking lot. #sarcasm

Last edited:
Amazing. The PGA is completely powerless to do anything about mental midgets shouting random crap after tee shots, but allowing caddy racing to continue is just too much.

PGA tour.....you failed on this one.

Hard fail!

PGA, really!?!? What's next? No skipping balls across the pond on 16 at Augusta.... Surely there are other issues that could use you attention.

Man that sucks! I liked the caddie races. I guess the PGA didn't want to be left out of taking some fun away from golf.

Count me as another vote for keeping them going at Phoenix.

How lame.

They should ban the skip shot at augusta while theyre at it. Its a major, and its an elegant golf course.

Theres no room for shenanigans.

Perhaps a rules concern? What if during the race they throw the bag down, the bag falls off, they fall and a club breaks, is it considered the normal course of play & can be replaced? Perhaps the potential damage to the course, since they are running towards & up near the green...

This is lame. I enjoy the caddie races!

Back