Rolltide2012

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys and gals, I am new to golf and looking for my first set of clubs. Currently I am looking at 2 used sets. The TM tour burners from 2008 and the titlelist 822os.
Both have the stiff flex shafts and are about the same price. Which one of the 2 do you all recommend for a beginner? Thanks in advance and glad to be here

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum!! I wuold suggest something cheap. My first set were Taylormade 200 steels and would suggest them to anyone starting out. Also I might consider going with a regular shaft at first also.

First Welcome to THP.

Second, I would suggest going to a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore or something like that if you have one in your area and tell them you are interested in some clubs....let them get you on the simulator or track man and get your swing speed and measure you for length and lie angle...trying to hit a shaft that's too stiff or too short for you can do more harm than good when starting out.

Thanks for the advise guys! The two sets are for sale locally through craiglist. Both in great shape. Tour burners for 140.00 and the titlelist for 135.00

Thanks for the advise guys! The two sets are for sale locally through craiglist. Both in great shape. Tour burners for 140.00 and the titlelist for 135.00

Those are some decent irons, but if they don't fit you properly they aren't going to perform well. What TripleBogieTim was trying to say was to get measured for irons and then see if the ones you are looking at match that. That way you can get the most from the irons.

Ok I see, thanks. I may swing by a local golf shop and see what they tell me. I have been told by some friends to try and stick to a club with good cavity back. What exactly does a higher cavity do to help beginner golfers?

Ok I see, thanks. I may swing by a local golf shop and see what they tell me. I have been told by some friends to try and stick to a club with good cavity back. What exactly does a higher cavity do to help beginner golfers?

Perimeter weights the clubhead so that when you don't hit the ball in the sweet spot of the iron, the mishit won't be as bad.

I have a set of tour burners that I no longer use but they were very good clubs, not much different from the R 11s that I replaced them with. The Titleist irons? I don't know. As suggested above, check the golf stores as well, they have lots of used sets of irons and don't mind you hitting them in the simulators. There is no way we can tell you which set is better for you, just tell you how they perform for us.

Those are some decent irons, but if they don't fit you properly they aren't going to perform well. What TripleBogieTim was trying to say was to get measured for irons and then see if the ones you are looking at match that. That way you can get the most from the irons.

Exactly...guess I didn't get that point across.

My main concern is shaft flex and lenth.....if you are a beginner a stiff shaft maybe too much for you to handle and will cause alot more trouble in the long run....same with length...if you are above average height you dont want to be bent way over trying to hit wedges.

Most golf stores will measure that stuff free...then see is either of those sets fit your needs.

Thanks again guys great info

Update! Well a friend of mine gave me his old set of taylormade r7 draw irons and a practically new taylormade rocket ballz driver 9.5. All this at no charge! I will try out this equipment and keep you guys posted.

Back