A Slicer's Journey Part 4 - Getting Better (Video)

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
Thanks to all the advice I've been getting. Here's my latest video from the range, where I focus extensively on trying to bring my club back straighter. I was pulling it way inside in most cases, and I'm trying to do that less in an attempt to cure my over the top tendencies. I got some great drills that helped me here, like the 2 ball drill where I put a ball right behind and focus on rolling it straight back in my backswing. That really helped me understand how much I was pulling the club inside. It still definitely needs work, but I think you'll see improvement in this video. I'm really feeling more comfortable with everything, and feeling like I'm getting the club back much straighter.

Thanks everyone for the help, and I'll continue to post video as I improve. I'm so glad my range has conveniently placed benches where I can easily set up my phone. :)

Splendorlex! Look at you man! Your swing is definitely looking better and better. Good to see the improvement. Good job, keep it up!

Working on that backswing helped me understand the issues I was having better. For the first time ever I really feel more like my left shoulder is coming up under my chin in the backswing. I still need to work on the downswing and slotting the right arm in properly, but if I can keep moving in this direction I think I'll be able to do that. I'm in St Louis this weekend and now I'm wishing I had brought my clubs. :)

The backswing looks a lot better, but here's the key question: is your ballflight improved with these changes?

The next thing for you to work on: starting the downswing with your lower body instead of your first downswing move being moving the arms towards the ball. Here's an example of a drill to help you do that.

Working on that backswing helped me understand the issues I was having better. For the first time ever I really feel more like my left shoulder is coming up under my chin in the backswing. I still need to work on the downswing and slotting the right arm in properly, but if I can keep moving in this direction I think I'll be able to do that. I'm in St Louis this weekend and now I'm wishing I had brought my clubs. :)

What are you doing in my neck of the woods?

What are you doing in my neck of the woods?

On a long weekend mini-vacation with the family. We live in N IL, close to the Wisconsin border, and wanted to go somewhere new that was within a day's drive. We're going to Six Flags today, and the Zoo tomorrow.

The backswing looks a lot better, but here's the key question: is your ballflight improved with these changes?

The short answer is yes, it has improved. But it still needs help. My ball flight overall just seems "weak" to me. A good 6 Iron goes about 150, but it seems to not get the height I'd like or just general flight. Getting my backswing better in the video I posted did help to straighten it out significantly. I do believe I need to work on just what you suggest, and thanks for the tip video. I've tried a few things to get the body moving first but don't have it quite yet. I also picked up a Golf Flex Trainer (Orange Whip knockoff) recently to try to get some lag in my swing. If nothing else, it does help me get loosened up really well!

Back