Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an interesting email exchange with someone yesterday about Jarvis Jones and how ready he is for the NFL. Apparently according to most, he is the most ready player in this draft (should he come out) and is the #1 rated player on more than half the scouting boards right now. The irony here is that the other UGA LB (inside) is getting a ton of buzz as well and one person was quoted as saying "with these two guys, something must be wrong, because their defense is not very good". Jones possesses that unique combination of natural gifts and the mind to make plays. His game against UF was "as special as a OLB can be on the field" and he very well could be an immediate impact on Sundays.

He has all of the tools to make an impact and while this season has been a little lackluster in terms of week in and week out, should he come out, there are teams salivating for him. He is best suited for a 3-4 defense where he can use his skills as a pass rusher. This was one of the reasons he transferred from Kiffin's Cover 2, 4 down system to UGA. He has a non-stop motor that wills him around the field and never takes plays off.

He has two areas that must improve. First, his pass coverage. There are teams that in the 3-4 drop 2 of the LBs into coverage and he shows a small weakness making the quick adjustment, especially in zone coverage. Second, if the OL gets a hold of him, he can struggle to break free and get to the QB or running back. He has great agility and footwork, but has to get better at slapping the OL hands away. Something that can definitely be taught and coached.

Should be an interesting finish to the season to see if he comes out and where his stock rises and falls.

A lot of people seem quick to compare him to Clay Matthews, and I can see how they have a similar playing style. It's hard to compare College to NFL, but IMO Jones seems to have a lot more upside at this point.

A lot of people seem quick to compare him to Clay Matthews, and I can see how they have a similar playing style. It's hard to compare College to NFL, but IMO Jones seems to have a lot more upside at this point.

Hard to say. Clay won defensive player of the year and is a marquee player right now, so its hard to say "more" upside, but Jones and Matthews have very similar motors and coming out, they had very similar "drawbacks". It will be interesting to see where he falls in line on Sundays.

Hard to say. Clay won defensive player of the year and is a marquee player right now, so its hard to say "more" upside, but Jones and Matthews have very similar motors and coming out, they had very similar "drawbacks". It will be interesting to see where he falls in line on Sundays.

Defensive POY?

Edit: Oh, for college?

Defensive POY?

Edit: Oh, for college?

NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 (not NFL related, given by committee)
Sporting News Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
Butkus Award in College.

NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 2010.

Gotcha. I was thinking overall and didn't think he had won it.

I love all the new rumors circling around Bo Pelini, I've heard Auburn and Arkansas thrown around. There is part of me that says if they want him, take him!!!

I love all the new rumors circling around Bo Pelini, I've heard Auburn and Arkansas thrown around. There is part of me that says if they want him, take him!!!
It wont happen.

Arky, maybe but he won't be in Auburn. Auburn will try and make a splash, Pelini isn't a splash.

ND will lose to USC, Kstate will lose. Oregon in the national title game
And for that to happen it would have to be Baylor and/or Texas. Just don't see that happening as much as I would love to see UT upset the wildcats.

I agree Nate, Texas has shown nothing on the defensive side that would make me think they could stop KSU. Of course it being the last game of the season they could be playing for pride, assuming pride is still worth something.

Arky, maybe but he won't be in Auburn. Auburn will try and make a splash, Pelini isn't a splash.

No way I would have thought Chizik ends up in Auburn last time around, never underestimate the ability of the Jay's to make you go WTF.

That being said I hope that doesn't happen. I'm no War Eagle, I don't know who we will hire but I have high hopes, and Pelini certainly doesn't live up to those hopes.

It wont happen.
I'm actually happy about that, he may rock the boat from time to time, but he's success numbers speak for themselves overall.
I would think Auburn would want a splash as well, was Chizik really a splash???

I would think Auburn would want a splash as well, was Chizik really a splash???

And we see where that got them. A national championship clouded (by some) in mystery over Newton and just two years later they're struggling in the cellar. Hence, they make a splash.

Chizik did create some buzz, just ask those folks that greeted him at the airport on his arrival.

I'd be ecstatic if I was A&M knowing I'm going to have him for a little while.

Technically, he could leave for the NFL after next season. Three years out of high school is the rule.

But, redshirt sophomore QBs rarely leave for the NFL. I remember that Andrew Luck thought about it (when speculation was that he could have been #1 in the draft that season), but you rarely see it.

And we see where that got them. A national championship clouded (by some) in mystery over Newton and just two years later they're struggling in the cellar. Hence, they make a splash.

Chizik did create some buzz, just ask those folks that greeted him at the airport on his arrival.

I hear ya, I'm also intrigued by the difference between Big12/Big10 and the SEC, it's a whole new ball game down south!!!

Pelini wasn't a hug splash when Nebraska hired him, but he certainly has consistently produced, it just hasn't been as high as Nebraska fan's had hoped. Seeing Chizik go from Iowa State to Auburn was certainly a surprise to me as an outsider! And a championship is always a nice icing on the cake.

Technically, he could leave for the NFL after next season. Three years out of high school is the rule.

But, redshirt sophomore QBs rarely leave for the NFL. I remember that Andrew Luck thought about it (when speculation was that he could have been #1 in the draft that season), but you rarely see it.

Yeah, and actually having Luck have success and be the #1 pick when he finally did go probably helps a school's case to keep someone a little longer.

Had an interesting email exchange with someone yesterday about Jarvis Jones and how ready he is for the NFL. Apparently according to most, he is the most ready player in this draft (should he come out) and is the #1 rated player on more than half the scouting boards right now. The irony here is that the other UGA LB (inside) is getting a ton of buzz as well and one person was quoted as saying "with these two guys, something must be wrong, because their defense is not very good". Jones possesses that unique combination of natural gifts and the mind to make plays. His game against UF was "as special as a OLB can be on the field" and he very well could be an immediate impact on Sundays.

He has all of the tools to make an impact and while this season has been a little lackluster in terms of week in and week out, should he come out, there are teams salivating for him. He is best suited for a 3-4 defense where he can use his skills as a pass rusher. This was one of the reasons he transferred from Kiffin's Cover 2, 4 down system to UGA. He has a non-stop motor that wills him around the field and never takes plays off.

He has two areas that must improve. First, his pass coverage. There are teams that in the 3-4 drop 2 of the LBs into coverage and he shows a small weakness making the quick adjustment, especially in zone coverage. Second, if the OL gets a hold of him, he can struggle to break free and get to the QB or running back. He has great agility and footwork, but has to get better at slapping the OL hands away. Something that can definitely be taught and coached.

Should be an interesting finish to the season to see if he comes out and where his stock rises and falls.

Jarvis is going for the draft in all probability, Here is another article saying pretty much the same thing. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...letter&utm_campaign=georgia-bulldogs-football

I have seen some bowl projections that have Texas and A&M Playing in the Cotton bowl. That would be epic

I have seen some bowl projections that have Texas and A&M Playing in the Cotton bowl. That would be epic

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions
Has Nebraska v ND in the rose, I'd love to see that. It would be epic if Nebraska could end their undefeated streak!!!

http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html
Has Nebraska in the Capital One bowl v Georgia, would be a great game to watch.

It's amazing how many options are out there for teams and how many of those options change if undefeated teams lose or even your own team loses out!

UGA beats Bama and plays for the NC.

I think that happens if Texas goes 1-1 the next 2. I think TCU will be close but they pull it out in the end. All the cards are stacked against them in Wildcat territory but they will lay it all on the line in order to try and knock the cats out of the National Championship game. We'll see how far pride takes them in that game.

th_9ea80605.gif

To be fair, it was only 1 dude at the airport.
I actually can see that happening.

Me too. That's sad.

If only we would run the damn ball more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back