Short Irons vs Longer Clubs - different backswing?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
One issue I'm working on in my swing is a tendency to pull the club (heavily) inside on the backswing. Thanks to some help from THPers, I've found a good way to work on it and feel I'm making improvements. It's feeling more now like I'm getting my left shoulder underneath my chin on the backswing, which I've never felt before, but at least right now it seems hard to do that same thing with the shorter irons. 6 iron and longer I can really get that feeling of pulling the club back straighter, and pulling my left shoulder under my chin. But when I try to do the same thing with a shorter iron where I'm standing closer to the ball, it feels much different. I'm wondering if my swing with shorter irons should be a little different in some way.

I personally try to swing the same with my 9 iron as I do with my 3 iron. One thing to think about is that it doesn't really matter what club you are using as you swing with your body, not the club. What I mean by this is that on full swings; your shoulders, arms, hips, etc. are all going to be moving the same distance throughout the swing regardless of what club is in your hands.

Also, while the ball might be a little further away from you with the longer shaft, you should always have your arms/hands the same distance away from your body on every shot. At least that's what I've always been taught.

I try to keep my swing as uniform as possible. Doesn't mean that's what happens.

I have been taught and am working on perfecting the same swing for every club. This from driver to 60* with no variation.

Also, while the ball might be a little further away from you with the longer shaft, you should always have your arms/hands the same distance away from your body on every shot. At least that's what I've always been taught.

This is something I always try to keep in mind - I have a tendency to get too close to the ball with short irons/wedges sometimes, which can cause the occasional hosel rocket.

It only took me 35 years to learn to swing the driver at the same tempo as my wedge.:act-up: Or maybe it's middle age and my body is just slower. If you want a good example of an older guy that bombs it with an even tempo, check out Kenny Perry's swing.

It only took me 35 years to learn to swing the driver at the same tempo as my wedge.:act-up: Or maybe it's middle age and my body is just slower. If you want a good example of an older guy that bombs it with an even tempo, check out Kenny Perry's swing.

Kenny's is good, but I personally prefer Freddie Couples. Same exact swing with every club in his bag.

Kenny's is good, but I personally prefer Freddie Couples. Same exact swing with every club in his bag.

You are dead on - Freddie's swing is certainly prettier and more powerful. Kenny just gets so much from a strange, slow, back swing that it is impressive.

I'm not kidding about taking me 35 years to slow my driver/3wood/long iron swing down. This is the first year I've been able to do it and I'm hitting it straighter and longer. Makes me feel foolish for not slowing things down sooner.

If you can't get the left shoulder under your chin with every club you are not making a shoulder turn. You are lifting the club with your arms. It's should be more difficult with longer clubs than shorter. If you setup is consistent and you make a complete shoulder turn (different range for everyone) then the club will take the same line no matter what club. The arc just get longer as you move from the wedge to the driver

Back