THP TV - KBS Talks C-Taper Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV caught up with Kim from KBS to talk about C-Taper shafts. Where they came from, who they are made for and what people can expect with them.

I like that he compared it to the original PX shafts. I think there are lots of stories and talk about these shafts out there and some of it is misleading. I think by comparing it to the PX line is a wise move because those have been out there for a while now. Self admittedly I always thought of these as a very low launching shaft that would give me nothing but low liners. However I gamed them in the Adams CMB irons for 2 rounds last summer and I absolutely enjoyed the ball flight and performance I was getting out of them. Wouldn't mind them being a touch lighter, but I bet that will happen down the road. Stock wise, they are a great looking shaft with a beautiful finish on them.

I really want to take a more in depth look at C-Taper shafts this year. I have enjoyed them in the past and really think they would suit my game well.

Not a fan of the 5-10% argument, because it ends up falling into that 'forged blade' category, but I actually really like the idea of lower spin, lower launch iron shafts.

Really enjoyed this video. It has some good information that I was wanting to know about. The C taper is a very interesting shaft that many have talked about, but I have been curious to learn more.

great interview... love my C Tapers.... but they are only good on the internet! hahaha

That was an extremely informative interview.

I really want to take a more in depth look at C-Taper shafts this year. I have enjoyed them in the past and really think they would suit my game well.

Not a fan of the 5-10% argument, because it ends up falling into that 'forged blade' category, but I actually really like the idea of lower spin, lower launch iron shafts.

thats why you should get fit...... shafts can make such a huge difference. in my R11s they brought my ball flight way down. and much more penetrating but i was sending balls to the moon for a while with the KBS 90s.

THP TV caught up with Kim from KBS to talk about C-Taper shafts. Where they came from, who they are made for and what people can expect with them.

Good stuff JB...

I would encourage you to hit them. When I went through the Mizuno Optimizer in Nov '12 (not sure if they had updated the optimizer b/c it never gave me the C-Taper option), the optimizer gave me the KBS Tour X SS. Plugged that shaft in an went to the launch monitor with a 6-iron MP 63. Launch was 20*, spin was 6800 distance was 179. Plugged in the C-taper S, launch was 18*, spin was 5900 and distance was 188. Both swings were 88 mph.

So, now I've got the C-Taper S and couldn't be happier. Launch is perfect, spin is great, extra distance is awesome and feel is sublime with the Mizuno MP 63s.

I've always been intrigued by these shafts but haven't ever had the opportunity to try them!

Good stuff JB...

I would encourage you to hit them. When I went through the Mizuno Optimizer in Nov '12 (not sure if they had updated the optimizer b/c it never gave me the C-Taper option), the optimizer gave me the KBS Tour X SS. Plugged that shaft in an went to the launch monitor with a 6-iron MP 63. Launch was 20*, spin was 6800 distance was 179. Plugged in the C-taper S, launch was 18*, spin was 5900 and distance was 188. Both swings were 88 mph.

So, now I've got the C-Taper S and couldn't be happier. Launch is perfect, spin is great, extra distance is awesome and feel is sublime with the Mizuno MP 63s.

I've done the great KBS fitter and it suggested I play the C-Taper S+ but I've yet to come across a fitter with that shaft available. Hoping to get into one sometime early this year.

I had the c-tapers in my Titleist 712 last year and got them again in my Cobra Amp irons this year, really love the feel of the shaft and flight it gives.

Great video, I definitely want to give these a shot this year. I haven't seen anywhere that I can try them out, but based on some recommendations of some other THPers at the MC I think these would be a good shaft for me and I hope to try them out somewhere this summer.

I've done the great KBS fitter and it suggested I play the C-Taper S+ but I've yet to come across a fitter with that shaft available. Hoping to get into one sometime early this year.

If you're referring to the online fitter, I did the same thing and was given the exact same shaft. When I went for a fitting at my local Nevada Bob's they had both the shafts and the C-Taper S gave me the best results. I tend to play an iron shaft just a bit under what the results from static appraisals fit me for. I had Project X 6.0s in my irons previously vs 6.5s for the same reason.

This was a great interview that hopefully eliminates some of the common misnomers regarding the C-Taper shaft. 5% lower trajectory is not really all that much IMO.

Great interview JB. I didn't know it was for such a low % of players. This is what I play in my clubs and love them. I haven't notices a club longer in my setup but they have amazing feel.

When I had done the KBS fitting before it recommended the C-taper R+. If these are available for the Morgan Cup I may give them a try.

This was a great interview that hopefully eliminates some of the common misnomers regarding the C-Taper shaft. 5% lower trajectory is not really all that much IMO.

When I had done the KBS fitting before it recommended the C-taper R+. If these are available for the Morgan Cup I may give them a try.

I played the R+ C tapers and compared to the S300 the ball fligh was almost identical. Main difference was the C-tapers didnt have an as steep angle of decent compared to the S300's. It was more of a flatter decent which is where I think the added distance came in. And the Ctaper feel was much better than the S300.

Tapping away on my S3

I wonder where the 5% is from? Cause my ball flight is way lower than 5% from where it was. Maybe 5% from their Xflex tour shafts which should be next in line from their shaft line.

I wonder where the 5% is from? Cause my ball flight is way lower than 5% from where it was. Maybe 5% from their Xflex tour shafts which should be next in line from their shaft line.

On the KBS website it appears they are saying the 5% is compared to DG using a robot. I assume they are comparing them to X-100, but the website does not elaborate.

I first posted the following on the KBS thread, but it seems more appropriate here.

Recently, I was fitted for and purchased a new set of irons (see below). The Mizuno shaft fitting system recommended either the Project X or KBS tours (among others) in a stiff flex. I tried these options in the models I liked and had similar results in terms of ball flight that I have experienced for several years. That being a sort of a "moon shot" throughout the bag when it comes to trajectory. Couple this with my normal worse swing tendency, which is a pulled draw (from being too quick in tempo), has caused me to miss targets from left to well left. I have always wanted to figure out a way to lower my ball flight slightly and try to correct my tendency to pull the ball. So I tried the C-Taper (stiff) during fitting trials. The launch monitor showed similar carries but at a slightly lower trajectory, and mostly straight. So I decided to give these a try. The launch monitor does not do justice to the remarkable change in ball flight I experienced hitting outdoors on grass. The best way I can explain it is like when you see the camera view of a pro hitting a long iron shot from behind and the result is this low piercing bullet shot that does not leave the initial target line. That is ball flight I am seeing from my 4-6 irons. I have never in many, many years of golfing been able to achieve that ball flight no matter what I tried. The 7-PW are a little higher in initial trajectory but no where near the towering shots I was hitting previously. Now, I almost cannot overdraw the ball no matter how hard I go at it. I know there is supposed to be a question in here somewhere, but I simply wanted to thank the folks at KBS for helping me revolutionize how I hit the golf ball. There have been many times recently where I have stood on the practice tee after a shot and have literaly said "WOW" outloud. I attribute this dramatic improvement primarily to the C-taper shaft, but realize that the minimal club head offset and other equipment factors have helped make this possible. Thanks again..I am a reformed believer in KBS!

I really want to give some C-Tapers a roll in my next set. I've played a constant taper/stepless shaft since the late 90's and love it.

Back