Wedge Finishes - Your Preference

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We had an older thread on this, but I thought it would be time for a new one. Wedges come in all shapes and styles, but one of the most talked about aspects is the finish. We have

Raw
Black
Copper (Oil)
Chrome
Satin
And countless others.

What finish do you like and why?

I like Chrome because it doesn't rust and looks new for a long time. But I do like the raw finish. Just so it does rust a little and shows some character.

Satin. It's very classic.

Raw all day long. My second choice is black.

Raw. Give me rust all day every day.

Second for me is actually the smoke chrome Cally is using on their MD2's, it could actually convert me. Looks so good.

I prefer satin, doesn't cause as much glare as chrome and resistant to rusting.

Ive never owned an oil can wedge so I cant speak to the raw/rust finish. Hear good things.

I'm really not picky there. I like them all except one - shiny chrome. Too bright for me with that high lofted face starting right back up at you.

Oil can or satin. I did LOVE my old Mizuno Black Ox though. Matte black face, glossy black back and chrome sole. She was a beaut. Kind of like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back.

I like satin, dark chrome, and black.

Black. Love my invitational wedges.

I'm really not picky there. I like them all except one - shiny chrome. Too bright for me with that high lofted face starting right back up at you.

I agree entirely here. I'd rather not go blind from glare on a scoring shot, but thats just me. Its why I like the muted smoke chrome on the MD2's so much.

The satin is probably my favorite. A differant finish wouldn't be a deal breaker though.

I've typically liked the black wedges. However, the Milky Chrome (satin) finish of the Mack Daddy 2's has converted me. Whatever my next set of wedges may be, if they have a satin finish, that's likely what I'll be buying.

Always prefer satin; low glare, classic finish and easy to maintain. I do like the old Black Nickel finish from Mizuno though...

I agree entirely here. I'd rather not go blind from glare on a scoring shot, but thats just me. Its why I like the muted smoke chrome on the MD2's so much.

Not wedges, but that was maybe the one big negative about the Tour V2 irons. They didn't put a satin strip on the top line and it would get me any time the sun was out. Brutal.

Typically I like chromed out to match my set, but recently I've grown to love the Oil Can/Raw wedge. Mine are both raw, and they just are good contrast to the other wedges.

Give me satin wedges or the smoke grey like the new MD2. I like the way chrome looks in form but in function they can be blinding especially if you play most rounds in late afternoon like I do.

I have always been a chrome guy but been intrigued by the darker finishes. I absolutely love the finish on my new MD2

I really really like looking down at a black finish on my wedge, but I hate that it wears down.

Satin is a great look, but it's very bland. I can't wait to take a closer look at the new smoke chrome MD2.

Raw all day long. My second choice is black.
Same here, I love the way the rust looks after time, but if not black, both help diminish glare!

I like all of the finishes in my bag right now: Raw (Hopkins), Chrome (RTX), and the sort of darker satin (MD2). As long as it doesn't glare, I'm game!

I'm a big fan of black nickel, finish on my wedges. It's dark enough that I don't get glare in my eyes all the time, and it still retains a 'metal' look. Really, its just a subjective thing to me.

~Rock

I absolutely love the copper finish.

Either rust or a well scuffed black one. I like my wedges to look like they've been in a battle.

Typically black (see J40 with slow rust or RTX) but recently venturing into raw.

Will be interested to see how I take to the raw.

Not a fan of the chrome.....just meh.

Back