Suggest Wedge Set

Dynasty

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone,

New guy here. I'm starting to take my golf game more serious and believe having quality wedges will help me out. Right now, my bag currently has a PW and a SW. Both are fairly old clubs from my father with worn out club faces. My scores average in the low 90's so I still have a long ways to go in order to be considered a strong player. Would a set of 52, 56, and 60 be what I need? I'm open to all suggestions and would like to find good quality, proven, bang for buck wedges to add to my bag.

Thanks for your time and help.

Welcome to THP. What irons are you playing?

Welcome! Do you want to keep your PW? If so, might help to think of lofts based off of it. Or based off your 9I loft if you get rid of your PW..

I also plan to upgrade my irons. So I will use the wedges that come with the set, most likely a PW and SW.

As you probably already know, what works for one golfer doesn't always work for another. It's really all about what will compliment your game, what shape head looks good to you (teardrop, round, etc), what weighting to you like (heavy or light), what type of shots you are trying to add to your bag, what distances you are looking to hit each one. That's the stuff only you can determine. For example, I have Titleist Vokey wedges in 50, 54, and 58. I've tried hitting 60's, 56's and 52's and it just doesn't suit my game. My regular golf partner swears by his 52 and 56. As for brands, I am partial to Titleist and Mizuno. I know that doesn't really help you narrow down the options, but wedges are critical to scoring and should be well thought out to suit your needs.

Hey everyone,

New guy here. I'm starting to take my golf game more serious and believe having quality wedges will help me out. Right now, my bag currently has a PW and a SW. Both are fairly old clubs from my father with worn out club faces. My scores average in the low 90's so I still have a long ways to go in order to be considered a strong player. Would a set of 52, 56, and 60 be what I need? I'm open to all suggestions and would like to find good quality, proven, bang for buck wedges to add to my bag.

I'd say find a set of irons that works for you and then focus on wedges. It'll really depend on your pitching wedge and how you hit it. In reality, some folks only need a PW and SW. Some throw in a 60 or gap wedge. Just really depends on your distances. I'd focuse on a quality set of irons first.

I also plan to upgrade my irons. So I will use the wedges that come with the set, most likely a PW and SW.

Oh if you're getting new irons, I would worry about getting a set that works for you. Then determine your wedges. Some sets come with a gap wedge, some come only to PW. So it may depend on the iron set for you.

For example, my set came with PW (45°),.and GW (50°). I like the GW it came with, so I only had to get 2 wedges. Ended up with a 54° and 58°.

You can get some semi-used, non-CC Vokeys on eBay for about $50 a pop. Not a bad deal.

If you decide to get a 60* wedge keep on thing in mind. Leave it in the bag untill you get quite a bit of pratice with it. That thing will cause you soooooo much grief just trying to jump right out on the course with it. I am speaking from first had knowledge her lol. As far as wedges go pretty much all of the brand names have good stuff out now.

just start off on the right foot and get yourself a bunch of Hopkins :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey everyone,

Based on your other post, it sounds like you're also planning on shopping for an iron set. I am a proponent of a 4 wedge set up. PW, GW, SW, LW. For me, that means lofts of 45/46, 50, 54, and 58. Most modern game improvement iron sets have a PW with loft of 44/45. If you go with a 52 GW, that would leave a larger gap - for my game, that additional gap is a no-no (others might have a different opinion).

Based on your other post, it sounds like you're also planning on shopping for an iron set. I am a proponent of a 4 wedge set up. PW, GW, SW, LW. For me, that means lofts of 45/46, 50, 54, and 58. Most modern game improvement iron sets have a PW with loft of 44/45. If you go with a 52 GW, that would leave a larger gap - for my game, that additional gap is a no-no (others might have a different opinion).

this!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I consider the Cleveland 588's to be the best wedge ever made, but after I got the Trusty Rustys I've played them only once, the Cobra TR is easy and trustworthy, and I don't loose any control with them either.

I have really enjoyed the Scors that I have.

Back