#TheGrandaddy Recap Thread & Special Announcement

Good afternoon #ZooCrew and #dreamteamers. The Hideaway officially misses all of you. Hope everyone got home safe. We are all talking about the last few days as much as you are. What a blast. looking forward to seeing the #ZooCrew soon and any of the rest of you at some point down the line.

Keep it in the short grass,

Matt

Big public thank you to Matt and his team at The Hideaway. When we first discussed this (a long time ago), this is the place I told Harry we had to do it and Matt and the entire team were great to work with the entire time and we could not have been happier with how it all worked out. Matt is a part of Team Callaway and lived up to everything we could have ever imagined. Seeing his excitement and passion for it grow as it got closer and I first shared the thread with him made it that much better.

Thanks Matt

Jason, it is no surprise that Matt is team callaway. He followed all 3 (okay there were like 7 or 8) of Harry's rules to a 'T'

I'll let Kevin tell the story when he's ready, but I think some of you guys are missing just how much respect each team had for one another and how the #zoocrew and #DreamTeam came out of the #grandaddy as one team.
Right now in out with my family having dinner and enjoying pint night. But it will be one of the sections of the recap

Jason, it is no surprise that Matt is team callaway. He followed all 3 (okay there were like 7 or 8) of Harry's rules to a 'T'

Someone get to the recaps with the rules so I'll know what the heck you are all talking about! :alien:

I'll let Kevin tell the story when he's ready, but I think some of you guys are missing just how much respect each team had for one another and how the #zoocrew and #DreamTeam came out of the #grandaddy as one team.

You could easily see that yall became one big group of friends and just how much respect there was, just by looking at the pictures.

Man, the #Zoocrew is brutal. Giving a participation trophy to THP. More fuel to the fire for next year.

Ha! If it were looked at a participation trophy by any of us we obviously missed the boat. I for one look at it as a piece that I will be able to look at and just smile. It was just that awesome

Someone get to the recaps with the rules so I'll know what the heck you are all talking about! :alien:

There were a bunch of rules in Harry's Michael Scott-like speech, but the 3 basic rules

1) Team above all
2) Hustle
3) Have fun.... and don't be a d**K

There were a bunch of rules in Harry's Michael Scott-like speech, but the 3 basic rules

1) Team above all
2) Hustle
3) Have fun.... and don't be a d**K

Thanks, seem like some good rules to live by.

Have to say all the Callaway guys have been a class act through and through. This event was so amazing to follow along with. So awesome to follow all the pictures and comments. Some really great golf played out there.

#DreamTeam, I am proud of you guys, as I know we all are around here. #ZooCrew, congrats on the win...Just know that THP will be bringing it big time next year under the leadership of JMan.

Thank you Callaway and THP for putting this one on. Could never have imagined it being this awesome just to follow along, let alone imagine how it was for the lucky guys that got to come along for the ride.

I just want to take a moment and say thanks to Callaway for such an amazing experience they provided to the #DreamTeam. Thank you to the #DreamTeam JB and GG for all over the coverage they provided during #TheGranddaddy. I didn't post during the updates because it was simply breath taking seeing all the pictures and wanted to take it all in. I cannot freaking wait to see the recaps from everyone. Jman, congrats dude you will absolutely rock this event as a Capt.

Good afternoon #ZooCrew and #dreamteamers. The Hideaway officially misses all of you. Hope everyone got home safe. We are all talking about the last few days as much as you are. What a blast. looking forward to seeing the #ZooCrew soon and any of the rest of you at some point down the line.

Keep it in the short grass,

Matt
Welcome Buddy! Glad you jumped in. I'm pretty certain you know exactly how I feel about the entire experience at Hideaway! I had a blast playing golf with you both days! Thanks for the swing tip buddy, it was a huge turning point on the day

After literally nodding off mid-sentence about 12 times yesterday I am finally rested a bit. That was a tiring week.

Best week ever. Truly. Recaps incoming!

I'm just going to do this recap thing as it comes to me and in snippets. It might be out of order in terms of timelines, but I don't care. Just sharing it how I remember it.

The Results

Man, I hate to lose. Not in the sore loser way. I just don't like it and try to do everything I can to avoid it. Didn't work this time though!

Goes without saying that I'm sorry I couldn't do whatever it would have taken to help our team bring home the belt. I don't need 'you don't need to apologize' posts either :) I know I don't, but looking back I think there were some missed opportunities on my part and I'd take advantage of them if I could do it again. Working in a handicapped event is very different than anything we've done here at THP, and I think I could have done a better job building groups and matchups. There is just a different level of strategy involved there. Only one way to learn though, so I'll be dumping all that info on Jman for next year.

As for how these guys played, they played their hearts out - wins or losses. Personally, I had one rotten round and two good ones (for me). Neither of the good rounds resulted in wins, but both were close. That's golf. I was just glad to have given my best shot at it. No regrets there.

I was immensely proud of the way the #DreamTeam handled themselves on the golf course. I saw guys come back from the grips of defeat to tie or win matches. Guys were able to hang in there and stay good natured even when the cards were stacked against them. One guy (can't remember his name) shot a 75 I guess. One guy that had battled a terrible case of the shanks for over a month leading up to the event didn't hit one the entire weekend. Another dealt with his father being ill and still brought us home a couple points. Guts. They all had lots of guts and did everything they could have to win it.

In the end, #zoocrew was the team that got it done! Congratulations to those guys. I couldn't have picked a better group to lose to and the joy the #dreamteam felt for those 9 was real.

Johnny Rodriguez wearing the championship belt. One of my favorite people ever right here. He's an awesome guy and a deserving champion.

4e4usutu.jpg

Being a handicapped event makes it much different then what we are used to. I bet that takes strategizing to a new level. Hawk, don't doubt your strategies for picking matches, you guys just hit the wrong freight train at the wrong time.

I'm going to do this in sections. It will get long if I don't. And I will be adding little thoughts along the way.

THE LEAD UP
I can remember the day I was selected to the Team, the final member. The texts, the calls, texts, tweets and congrats on the forum were amazing. I remember like it was yesterday, I was working up on a roof on one of the jobs we were doing. It was a struggle to get down safely and attempt to get a video out. I wanted to harness the raw emotions and share them with my THP Family. As poor of quality as the video was, it was raw and it was real.
The next couple months went flying by, I worked hard on getting my game into shape, took some lessons with GolfTec, played a lot of golf, trying to simulate what was ahead, I felt like I was making all the right moves to ready myself of the golf portion of the #grandaddy.
Initially I started texting little tid bits about strategies, and weather and anything else I could think about to help get us to grow closer. As time went on the texting became a big part of growing us as a Team. It seemed to really help all of us get to know each other a little more.
As time went on there was a ton of speculation about equipment, what we may or may not get. And admittedly those distractions were more and more frequent the closer we got. The entire time I knew that there were a ton of possiblities, but I also knew that if we were to fall into the focus of that end of it, we would miss out on the biggest and best part of it all. The Team, the bonds, and really making the experience about us, a brotherhood, THE PLANKOWNERS of THE GRANDADDY OR THEM ALL!
I used the short period of time leading up I went out to meet some of the guys I didn’t know Tyler and Joe. I drove over to Ohio played a little golf with him, and GregDan at the Ohio Gathering. While there I played a round with them. I drove up to New Jersey to meet Joe. I really wanted to drive that Team feeling for me.
The Support from the forum was excellent. Several people really seemed to stand behind us, and give us a ton of support. I'm not going to mention names, you know who you were. If I were to miss someone I don't want to offend anyone. The support in the grandaddy thread was pretty awesome, as we got closer to the event that thread became more and more active, the nature of the beast I suppose. It was cool to see the guys from the Zoo Crew step in and add to the banter. It really showed us that these guys were the real deal. We knew we had a formidable task ahead, and we all believed we had what it was to get down to business. It just wasn't in the cards this year.

Great thoughts Hawk and Kev. Looking forward to reliving this experience through you guys!

Excellent start to the recaps, I can't wait to read every word from all of you, such an amazing experience, I'm sure it is oh so difficult to put it all into words!

Great stuff gents. What an awesome week!

Great start with the recaps Hawk and Kev!

Love the recaps coming in. Even more awesome to me is that this event was so special to these guys that there is literally no way possible for them to put it in to words how much it meant to them.

If I could ask the guys one question: In all of the amazing things you were able to do out there, and the comraderie you were able to form with your brothers on the Dream team and then with the Zoo crew, what was the ONE moment when it REALLY hit you how fortunate your were to have this life experience? I could be on the practice range one early morning or late night being the only one there, walking/riding up a certain hole, or seeing something special at the Callaway HQ. I'm always intrigued by those "A-HA" moments in life... so what was yours?

Thanks

I am going to do mine in sections as well. hopefully get the first one out tonight. It may take some time, it is a lot to take in, and honestly it is hard to think about it without getting emotional

Mine you be when Harry and Jason came out to meet us when we arrived at ECPC. I was just like "Wow, here we are and it's time to soak it all in." But there were lots of those moments throughout the week.

Going to post my recap all at once - either tomorrow or Sunday

Hawk, Kevin, you two make me smile. You're both awesome, its a fact.

Back