Yonex XP Irons - THP Review Thread

These look really nice. I remember when I started playing Yonex was pretty big here. This one looks like a hit for sure. Only downpart I see is a much lower lofts. 44 degree pw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty normal for irons now. Plus, its all about the LAUNCH and not the loft, that's how companies put the numbers on the clubs. If its lower lofted but launches just as high, that's a win for us amateurs.

Pretty normal for irons now. Plus, its all about the loft, not the launch, that's how companies put the numbers on the clubs. If its lower lofted but launches just as high, that's a win for us amateurs.

Pretty sure this needs an edit James.

Pretty sure this needs an edit James.

Yup. I'm losing my mind. Think one thing and type another.

LAUNCH is the key, not LOFT.

These look pretty similar to TaylorMade HP Burner 2.0's, especially the aesthetics with the polished chrome and matte across the top line. The chrome with the 2.0's is no issue at all in the sun, at least for me.

Very true, I've seen most sets the pw is 47 -43 is one set. Guess it all depends on launch and or cog.

Very true, I've seen most sets the pw is 47 -43 is one set. Guess it all depends on launch and or cog.

Eh, they're all over the place now throughout all the companies 44, 45, 46, 47, its all about the launch.

The counterbalancing and weights/plugs sound very intriguing. I'll be curious to see how that effects feel during the swing.

These are in the bag and ready to go tomorrow! Just need the rain to hold off!

These are in the bag and ready to go tomorrow! Just need the rain to hold off!

Taking the driver? BB driver too?

I have never really been around many Yonex clubs. I like the look.

Taking the driver? BB driver too?

Yep, driver has been out twice pre snow for round and a couple range sessions. Need one more round on it to shore up a couple thoughts. Bertha will be out there as well.

Last edited:
Didn't expect for them to be so large compared to the s55. I do like the look though. The cavity reminds of the zstarrs from a few years back.

Pretty sexy looking irons

Its only 41 with 16 MPH winds....but I still want to go put these to work. Hmmmmm....

Those sure are pretty. I like the counter-weighting aspect of these as well. Loved the counter-weighting with the Jumbo Max grips that I tested, especially with the shorter irons. Really interested in this review.

Sadly the weather kept me off course yesterday and today. supposed to be near 60 Monday through Thursday though so there will be a lot of time put into these.

Sadly the weather kept me off course yesterday and today. supposed to be near 60 Monday through Thursday though so there will be a lot of time put into these.

Atlanta is about the same, I called the club to ask if we were open, the response was "You aren't serious, are you?"

These Yonex look very interesting, look forward to your review.

Atlanta is about the same, I called the club to ask if we were open, the response was "You aren't serious, are you?"

These Yonex look very interesting, look forward to your review.

I just keep staring at them....and swinging the 8i inside when the wife isn't looking. So excited to hit some graphite irons again, plus, Yonex intrigues me, always such solid perfomring clubs.

I'll be doing a homepage review on the Yonex EZONE XP irons as well, only difference being that the set I'll be reviewing are equiped with the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH steel shaft. As Jman pointed out the XP irons are the Yonex answser to a raw power iron specializing in distance and accuracy. The EZONE XP Irons feature a 4g heavier head and Double Cut Cavity that increases the size of the sweet spot to maximize power, distance and forgiveness. The steel shaft option I'll be testing uses an original rubber grip, not the counter balanced grip featured in the EZONE XP with the graphite shaft. It will be fun to join in with Jman and discuss some differences that we see from the 2 sets of irons. I'll be getting these in play on an indoor launch monitor simulator right away tomorrow and will provide some feedback for you.

A little more info on the shaft:

*Smooth shaft flex creating optimum trajectories. Responsive and resilient, expect greater distances from this shaft. As the ideal solution for consistent ball flight, impact and distance control, the N.S.PRO 950GH has specs suited for every need.
*Lightweight steel shaft with incomparable stability.
*Tight, solid feel on impact helps cut missed shots to a minimum and makes getting out of the rough easier than ever. These shafts help minimize ballooning, reduces extreme side spin and inconsistent distances.
*With a middle kick point, the ball lifts off easily and carries well for controlled mid-trajectory, unaffected by wind.

Here are some pics:

Jman and I will be here to answer any and all questions, Jman, let's rock this thing!!

I'm SOOOOO eager to see what similarities and differences we see here.

I'm SOOOOO eager to see what similarities and differences we see here.
I think we can both agree that they are some goregous looking irons. I expected a nice look but in person they are much nicer than I expected. Not an obnoxiously large top line, a good looking iron at address if you ask me.

You two are going to rock this review! Quick question, in the pics that Jman posted, on the drip there is a white colored ring near the butt end of the grip. In your hands can you feel that?

I think we can both agree that they are some goregous looking irons. I expected a nice look but in person they are much nicer than I expected. Not an obnoxiously large top line, a good looking iron at address if you ask me.

Way better looking in hand that I anticipated coming into this. Toplines are definitely smaller than a lot of irons in this GI class for sure.

You two are going to rock this review! Quick question, in the pics that Jman posted, on the drip there is a white colored ring near the butt end of the grip. In your hands can you feel that?

That signifies where the backweighting is in the club/grip, in hand I cant really notice it and I don't play with a glove anymore so that's a good thing.

Way better looking in hand that I anticipated coming into this. Toplines are definitely smaller than a lot of irons in this GI class for sure.

That signifies where the backweighting is in the club/grip, in hand I cant really notice it and I don't play with a glove anymore so that's a good thing.

Is the tungsten powder weight set standard to 20g throughout the set? Are there options for less or more weigh based on fitting results? It seems that Jakes set has a bit of a thinner top line, but that could be in the photos?

Is the tungsten powder weight set standard to 20g throughout the set? Are there options for less or more weigh based on fitting results? It seems that Jakes set has a bit of a thinner top line, but that could be in the photos?
From what I can tell both sets of iron heads should be identical. It's probably just a slight difference in the angles I'd bet.

Back