New Mizuno Line of Putters - Line 90 Series

Fourwiggle

Reaction score
Handicap
< 5
I happened upon the Mizuno Europe website because the good-'ole USA website doesn't list/sell the Mizuno line of putters but apparently Mizuno has released a new line of putters called the "Line 90" series. Looks pretty interesting even though we may never see them in the States...

Complete Specs

Mizuno Europe Website

K.jpg
M.jpg
S.jpg
T.jpg
V.jpg

They also have some nice looking Winn Grips as well...

winn-mizuno-avs.jpg

As of now, you are correct, they will not be sold in N. America market.

Honestly not "wow'ed" at all, face makes them look cheapish IMHO.

But, like any putter, I'd love to roll one and see.

+1 for me here, too.

I like the Winn grips, but that's not why you buy a new putter. ha

I am with you. I thought their last line, MP I think looked good but I am not impressed here.

That far left head shape looks as if it could be used as a weapon. Not too "wowed" with this bunch as well.

Yeah, the face is reminiscent of a Nike Method a bit...

I did however like the K-02 putter as it reminds me of my new infatuation with the Odyssey #7.

Yeah, the face is reminiscent of a Nike Method a bit...

I did however like the K-02 putter as it reminds me of my new infatuation with the Odyssey #7.

I was a long time user of that model. Is there a reason not to just go that route? Seems easier right?

I was a long time user of that model. Is there a reason not to just go that route? Seems easier right?

Definitely, gaming it now actually and really like the Versa 7.

I agree though, no reason to go the Mizuno route when these are readily available. This was more of an FYI than anything else...

Definitely, gaming it now actually and really like the Versa 7.

I agree though, no reason to go the Mizuno route when these are readily available. This was more of an FYI than anything else...

Totally understand. I would like to see them drop the flat stick line into the N. America market, but with that market so slow right now for any company not named Odyssey, I understand it. Especially considering how their last foray into the market went. Time will tell however.

S 02 doesn't look bad. But the #7 clone looks awful, it looks similar but it looks like its slightly longer, really throws off the whole shape imo.

Totally understand. I would like to see them drop the flat stick line into the N. America market, but with that market so slow right now for any company not named Odyssey, I understand it. Especially considering how their last foray into the market went. Time will tell however.

Yes I think they definitely need a presence in North America. It seems a bit short-sighted to omit an entire region when incremental sales could potentially be gained. I've only owned one Mizuno putter ever and it was an old T.P. Mills version. I liked it okay enough but was never "wowed" by it. I think if Mizuno could create a mystique around a putter line as they seemingly have with their irons, they could get a share of pie. It has become an increasingly crowded market though...

Yes I think they definitely need a presence in North America. It seems a bit short-sighted to omit an entire region when incremental sales could potentially be gained. I've only owned one Mizuno putter ever and it was an old T.P. Mills version. I liked it okay enough but was never "wowed" by it. I think if Mizuno could create a mystique around a putter line as they seemingly have with their irons, they could get a share of pie. It has become an increasingly crowded market though...

Yeah, I think that was their thoughts when they brought in Bob Bettinardi. Unfortunately that did not end all that well.

Yeah, I think that was their thoughts when they brought in Bob Bettinardi. Unfortunately that did not end all that well.

LOL!! Understatement Alert!! :D

Probably why they've avoided a comeback. It may take a generation or two for everyone to "mis-remember"...

Love my Mizuno irons but will stick with my SeeMores on the green...

Question for you JB. With the brand recognition they have and a putter market, which seems to be controlled by a few companies, what would it take to be successful here? Do they need to have a couple of guys on tour put it in the bag? Or maybe some gimmick (likely the wrong word here but it gets my point across) or marketing angle? Just curious on what you think it would take for a company with a decent reputation and set in and do well.

Question for you JB. With the brand recognition they have and a putter market, which seems to be controlled by a few companies, what would it take to be successful here? Do they need to have a couple of guys on tour put it in the bag? Or maybe some gimmick (likely the wrong word here but it gets my point across) or marketing angle? Just curious on what you think it would take for a company with a decent reputation and set in and do well.

Million dollar question. For me it would come down to marketing. Mizuno as a brand does not do a lot of progressive marketing, but rather rests on its laurels as an iron brand that also sells a full line. They could make great strides in any metal woods, but the general public would have to hear it from reviews, etc. because Mizuno does not say a lot about it.

But if the budget is limited, one must pick their spots, so in that aspect I understand not trying to spend there or jump in there. But my views are the same on wedges and a few other things, and they do not have an issue jumping in that area despite low marketshare.

To me they made the jump with Bettinardi...It was a terrible failure in my opinion and has soured them. Plus its an area that is dominated by a select few brands.

What do you think?

This made me lol.... I would say they have "fabricated" a mystique. If they could somehow get that same marketing intelligence on board with putters, look out. And honestly, I think they would be better served with the standby shapes. No reason to go overboard.

Million dollar question. For me it would come down to marketing. Mizuno as a brand does not do a lot of progressive marketing, but rather rests on its laurels as an iron brand that also sells a full line. They could make great strides in any metal woods, but the general public would have to hear it from reviews, etc. because Mizuno does not say a lot about it.

But if the budget is limited, one must pick their spots, so in that aspect I understand not trying to spend there or jump in there. But my views are the same on wedges and a few other things, and they do not have an issue jumping in that area despite low marketshare.

To me they made the jump with Bettinardi...It was a terrible failure in my opinion and has soured them. Plus its an area that is dominated by a select few brands.

What do you think?

I think it would be a good time to make move into the N. American Market. They already make the putters and have a fairly loyal following. It is not as if they need to create a distribution network. I agree they need to try to follow Callaway's lead and change up their marketing. Maybe take a good idea when it is pitched and not try to call it your own. :wink:

I really like looks and headshapes in the last MP line and I am guessing they have another version of the MP line that will be released in Europe soon as well. I like the idea that they would have a value line and a premium line much like SeeMore. I guess I have trouble seeing how it would hurt them to dip their toe in the water and take a shot.

Interesting thoughts. I tend to agree. Although at the same time I understand not getting into the crowded market. But in a sense, you are right, they are not developing molds or starting from scratch, the product is designed.

Mizuno is into a LOT of different sports. I'd be curious to know what % of sales come from golf equipment.

They almost look like something you would get in a full bag kit for $199. Just from the pictures they look very gimmicky and cheap.

Ugly.

Especially the one that looks like a pumpkin carve out job.

This made me lol.... I would say they have "fabricated" a mystique. If they could somehow get that same marketing intelligence on board with putters, look out. And honestly, I think they would be better served with the standby shapes. No reason to go overboard.

Perhaps I should have said "if they could FORGE a mystique"... :D

Either way, therein lies a mystique or a cult following of sorts and I think they could break into the market. I do agree they should stick with more traditional shapes though. These seem like some kind of Japanese anime or something but I'm sure there are some that like those type of putters...

Ugly.

Especially the one that looks like a pumpkin carve out job.

They look like they fell off Batman's utility hook. I don't know whether to put with them or use them to climb walls.

Back