Just saw this on my town's website. It's from the mayor of my town to Governor Christie:

Dear Governor Christie:

First I would like to thank you for how prepared I feel the first responders, municipalities and citizens of New Jersey were in advance of the arrival of Hurricane Sandy. This preparation is, without a doubt, due to the leadership you have brought to the State of New Jersey since you took the office of Governor. I have said publicly before that the communication from Trenton to us in individual municipalities before, during and after emergencies such as this was non-existent prior to your administration. The daily conference calls are a tremendous assistance to us and I can not begin to tell you how much I personally appreciate them as both mayor and municipal OEM coordinator.

I do have to let you know however, that I am quite displeased with response of our power companies, and quite frankly with the direction from the state. I understand there may be no direct pressure that can be put on the power company by you regarding how they do their day to day repair operations. However, that being said, this area and Lincoln Park in particular has been the site of many natural disasters over the last few years. There are many residents and businesses in town that have yet to rebuild and recover from Hurricane Irene and are now once again devastated.

I understand that we may not be any worse off than other parts of the state, but we most certainly have been hit worse nearly every year for the last few years. I appreciate your stating that you and your neighbors in your town are without power, but quite frankly Governor, you and your neighbors have not experienced the flooding, damage and loss that my town has almost annually for the last several years.

Why the message to the power companies from you and the state wasn’t to do everything possible to treat this area as a priority given the extent and number of disasters we have been through is unthinkable. Especially with this being the first time we escaped major flooding, it would seem all that more important that you and the state be concerned with getting this area up and back to normal as soon as possible in light of the devastation this area has been and continues to go through.

As you have requested, I have tried the normal chain of command and channels to get our needs met. However, after day 8 without power to almost ALL of Lincoln Park (with the exception of a small area that came on after Chilton Hospital in neighboring Pequannock was energized), I find it necessary to bring this to your attention. As much as I appreciate your leadership, I have to tell you that I am now beginning to feel like much of the town is…in the dark.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and listen to the concerns about the residents of Lincoln Park. Thank you for your leadership during this emergency. And thank you for anything that you can do to help get us accurate information and more importantly…POWER in Lincoln Park.

Sincerely,

David A. Runfeldt, Mayor
Office of Emergency Management Coordinator

KickA** letter, I didn't know you were the mayor, JK. I'm glad he sent that letter, the Govna needs to do something about this now.
stay safe man
Just saw this on my town's website. It's from the mayor of my town to Governor Christie:

Dear Governor Christie:

First I would like to thank you for how prepared I feel the first responders, municipalities and citizens of New Jersey were in advance of the arrival of Hurricane Sandy. This preparation is, without a doubt, due to the leadership you have brought to the State of New Jersey since you took the office of Governor. I have said publicly before that the communication from Trenton to us in individual municipalities before, during and after emergencies such as this was non-existent prior to your administration. The daily conference calls are a tremendous assistance to us and I can not begin to tell you how much I personally appreciate them as both mayor and municipal OEM coordinator.

I do have to let you know however, that I am quite displeased with response of our power companies, and quite frankly with the direction from the state. I understand there may be no direct pressure that can be put on the power company by you regarding how they do their day to day repair operations. However, that being said, this area and Lincoln Park in particular has been the site of many natural disasters over the last few years. There are many residents and businesses in town that have yet to rebuild and recover from Hurricane Irene and are now once again devastated.

I understand that we may not be any worse off than other parts of the state, but we most certainly have been hit worse nearly every year for the last few years. I appreciate your stating that you and your neighbors in your town are without power, but quite frankly Governor, you and your neighbors have not experienced the flooding, damage and loss that my town has almost annually for the last several years.

Why the message to the power companies from you and the state wasn’t to do everything possible to treat this area as a priority given the extent and number of disasters we have been through is unthinkable. Especially with this being the first time we escaped major flooding, it would seem all that more important that you and the state be concerned with getting this area up and back to normal as soon as possible in light of the devastation this area has been and continues to go through.

As you have requested, I have tried the normal chain of command and channels to get our needs met. However, after day 8 without power to almost ALL of Lincoln Park (with the exception of a small area that came on after Chilton Hospital in neighboring Pequannock was energized), I find it necessary to bring this to your attention. As much as I appreciate your leadership, I have to tell you that I am now beginning to feel like much of the town is…in the dark.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and listen to the concerns about the residents of Lincoln Park. Thank you for your leadership during this emergency. And thank you for anything that you can do to help get us accurate information and more importantly…POWER in Lincoln Park.

Sincerely,

David A. Runfeldt, Mayor

Mayor just said that there is a work order to START working in town tomorrow. With that said, the electric company also said they would not be working during the storm. Looks like it will be going into next week before we get power.

Mayor just said that there is a work order to START working in town tomorrow. With that said, the electric company also said they would not be working during the storm. Looks like it will be going into next week before we get power.

Lawsuit anyone? That's insane man, stay safe

So here I sit freezing and in the dark. Can see my breath in my bedroom when I breathe. Supposed to be in the low 40's here over the next 2 days. Praying for no snow and that the pipes dont freeze. Friday - Sunday its supposed to be in the high 50's and 60's just need to make it through the next 2 days.

how are you charging all your electronics? at work?

how are you charging all your electronics? at work?

In my car and at work. My wife ended up buying a generator before she came home from Albany just so we could run the electric fireplace and keep the baby warm. I can't sleep in the living room because there is nowhere to sleep so I am banished to the cold bedroom. We put a sheet up to keep the living room and keep the hot air in. It hasnt been fun but the weather is going to warm up Friday. Just hoping and praying that this storm isnt as bad as they think it might be.

Dear Governor Christie:

Sincerely,

David A. Runfeldt, Mayor

My heart goes out to areas that are prone to anual flooding and I can certainly understand the feeling of frustration with constantly living with such stresses many times over. I certainly wouldnt want that nor would I wish that on anyone. I know if it were my decision I would try to take care of those people sooner simply due to compassion for their situation.

But at the same time and with all due respect this does not necessarily mean they are any more important than anyone else who is flooded or without power. One may even argue that people in that situation whom are prone to this stuff are tougher, more resiliant, more knowledgable, and better prepared to cope both mentally and physically for such. Where as others who are not accustomed to such things are totally lost, dumbfounded and confused about what to do and how to respond. No right or wrong here but ust another way to look at a bad situation for everyone. The truth is none of us are happy till we ourselves have power and a home.

Perhaps in prone areas the bigger pictire is the things that can be done to prevent such constant situations. This is where the real focus, money and efforts should be spent. Things like (for straters) controling reservior levels and or expanding them or creating new ones. Water walls and levys. Major things can be done to land areas far greater than most people can imagine in order to prevent such things. If you've ever watched "Modern Marvels" , "Discovery" , "History" or alot of documentry television you would be amazed what man can build. We can literally move mountains and dig canyons. We can engineer enormous things. Its been done before.

This however takes alot of money and also may mean relocation for percentage of some homes but the nead of many outway the nead of a few. But I believe these things can be done. If american tax dollars can give the banks 700 billion dollars for screwing up the economy, (and I still cant figure how no one has ever gone to jail for the things that were done but thats another discussion) But if we can pay for that then we can certainly spend some billions to help those areas where people live in constant threat.

Other things of less cost that can help would be like when people in those areas rebuild. Dont rebuild another house on the ground in same spot the same way. I know moving may not be an option for people but this time put the house up on pilings so when the water comes the house is still saved. This is done in tons of areas (like beachfront areas) but for some reason even in the areas where its done there are still people who insist to build on the ground right next door only to be flooded again. I know this is not always the practicle or the possible thing to do in all casses but it can be done in many.

We can go on about a million things but my point is that i believe while we cant prevent everything we can certainly make it all so much better for so many people and prevent most of it. Its a matter of money, engineering, and determination by our government to do such things.

Just an FYI, I didnt write the letter. That was from the mayor of my town to Governor Christie.

Let's hope for warmer weather.

In my car and at work. My wife ended up buying a generator before she came home from Albany just so we could run the electric fireplace and keep the baby warm. I can't sleep in the living room because there is nowhere to sleep so I am banished to the cold bedroom. We put a sheet up to keep the living room and keep the hot air in. It hasnt been fun but the weather is going to warm up Friday. Just hoping and praying that this storm isnt as bad as they think it might be.
man i feel for you so much bro... i wish i could take a trip up there and drop off a bunch of supplies cuz we got an extra air mattress you could put by the fireplace and some camping type gear

man i feel for you so much bro... i wish i could take a trip up there and drop off a bunch of supplies cuz we got an extra air mattress you could put by the fireplace and some camping type gear

It's fine man. There just isnt any room for me to sleep in there. It's not a big deal. Trust me when I tell you that there are people WAY worse off than me. I appreciate the well wishes from everyone though.

Just an FYI, I didnt write the letter. That was from the mayor of my town to Governor Christie.

I knew that. And imo there was nothing wrong with the letter. I think it was great that he wrote it for the poeple in your area and thats what he is supose to do. I totaly understand it and do not disagree with it. Please dont misunderstand my intent in what i posted. I also felt (as posted) that I would certainly feel to help those who are always in constant stress but just played a bit devil advicate on different ways to view things and not knowing which would be right or wrong.

I hope we all get power and back to normalcy quickly as possible.

I knew that. And imo there was nothing wrong with the letter. I think it was great that he wrote it for the poeple in your area and thats what he is supose to do. I totaly understand it and do not disagree with it. Please dont misunderstand my intent in what i posted. I also felt (as posted) that I would certainly feel to help those who are always in constant stress but just played a bit devil advicate on different ways to view things and not knowing which would be right or wrong.

I hope we all get power and back to normalcy quickly as possible.

No no no, there was nothing wrong with your post. I agree with you. I just wanted to make sure you knew I didnt write the letter. That was way to nice for it to have been from me..haha

this no'easter isnt too bad down here but it will eventually make its way up there... hopefully it wont affect you guys at all

well thankfully its supose to get back up into the low 50's for friday through the weekend. Although still to be cold nights it will be a touch warmer. 40 is better than 33. It sucks but I'm glad its not mid january or something and in the 20's or teens. They havnt even started to remove or repair the downed pole/tree in my block and also there is bad t/former not touched ither plus another pole that is standing but cracked.

Not expecting much work to be done through this storm for the next day. I just hope it dont knock out any more or make any existsting damage worse. It would realy suck if the storm causes any backwards steps. I'm sure it will cause at least some.

Got a generator past few days and running necesities for few hours each day and night. Hooked up my furnace so I am able to warm up the house prior to bed before turning it off. We can also wacth some tv/news while I run it. Thankfully the cable is on, I was surprised. Really helps but getting fuel for the gen is a pain although thankfully that is getting bit easier to do in my area. But its also killing me with the cost of gasoline. Just gets much too expensive to run this thing anything more than necessary.

Overall I just cant believe what this storm did. I cant imagine if it were a cat 3 or 4 storm with the same (almost perfect storm) tital situations as "Sandy" but with heavier rains and heavier winds. It would of wiped out at least twice as much. Thannkfully wasnt the case.

So here I sit freezing and in the dark. Can see my breath in my bedroom when I breathe. Supposed to be in the low 40's here over the next 2 days. Praying for no snow and that the pipes dont freeze. Friday - Sunday its supposed to be in the high 50's and 60's just need to make it through the next 2 days.

dang bro, that sucks I hope you are ok, and that your girls are safe too.

I thought you wrote it too until I read the name at the bottom that's why I thought you were the mayor haha

Snowing like a mofo here. Just exactly what we needed. Crews in town working. We actually have stop lights in town again so thats a plus. Doesnt look like they even touched the wires down at the end of the street so it looks like another night on generator. Booooo.

7epe5u9e.jpg

From my drive home

Yeah the snow has been falling steadily all day and now that the sun has set, things will get very dangerous. Everyone who is out driving in this BE CAREFUL.

Just had to go out and get dinner for me and my wife. Thanks to Canadan, I went the Chipotle route. Anyway, the roads are really really bad. Anyone in the NY/NJ area just stay off the roads.

Its still snowing. At least 6 inches outside. This is really too much. I at my breaking point.

Its still snowing. At least 6 inches outside. This is really too much. I at my breaking point.

It's stopped down here, has it finally stopped up your way? Whatever I can do Dev...text me.

I am so lucky. I have electricity, heat and tv. I have had friends come over for hot meals and showers. I tell them it's a package deal. In order to get the hot meal, you MUST take a shower!!! LOL.

It took me over 2 1/2 hrs. to get home last night from work. Accidents everywhere.

Still have many friends without power.

Back