JamesA

Reaction score
Handicap
So I went through a stage of hitting my driver fairly consistently and then one day all my tee shots just roll along the grass, I get no height at all, my irons are consistent and I only have consistency problems with my 5 iron. So what could I be doing wrong? I know it's hard without a video but I will be at the range tomorrow and will upload a video then. But I'd just like some drills to work through at the range tomorrow

My first two initial thoughts are, your either seriously de-lofting the club through impact, or striking the ball really low on the face.

Any advice on some drills?

So I went through a stage of hitting my driver fairly consistently and then one day all my tee shots just roll along the grass, I get no height at all, my irons are consistent and I only have consistency problems with my 5 iron. So what could I be doing wrong? I know it's hard without a video but I will be at the range tomorrow and will upload a video then. But I'd just like some drills to work through at the range tomorrow

If you can post some video of the swing, Im sure Freddie and others can chime in with things they may be seeing

When I fought this two things were happening 1) delofting the club at impact 2) trying to help the ball in the air by hitting off of my right foot. Remember to start your swing with your lower body and swing into your left (front) side.

Any advice on some drills?

If its a de-lofting issue I would start by trying to strengthen your grip a little. Meaning put a little more cup in your left wrist. Just a thought though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, like I said I'll try and get a video up tomorrow because my inability to hit a decent tee shot is killing my game

Check your setup and ball position.

I've got just the opposite problem, so I'll be interested in hearing what you have to change to correct your ball flight. Perhaps doing the opposite will work for me.

I've got just the opposite problem, so I'll be interested in hearing what you have to change to correct your ball flight. Perhaps doing the opposite will work for me.

What's your ball flight? Where does it start and where does it go. For example, starts left goes right/

How low is low? How much carry are you getting?

Low as in rolling across the ground, from the tea ball goes to the deck and rolls, these drives arent even 100 yards

Low as in rolling across the ground, from the tea ball goes to the deck and rolls, these drives arent even 100 yards
Ok so you are topping your drives. You're opening your shoulders way early and as a result releasing high or above the equator of the ball. Be sure you keep your chest moving through the hitting zone. As long as the chest moves though the zone the shoulders will follow and your club fact will make contact in the center.

Had an issue with this yesterday, was hitting everything good, then with 3w and D I was hitting SCUD missiles about head high that would kill geese. Read your tip Freddie and that sounds about right. I figured I was just coming out of the swing too early, which is essentially opening up the shoulders. My swing thought to fix it was to stay down through the shot, and it seemed to help - started hitting them solid and closed my session with the best drive of the day.

Keeping this in mind next day out, thanks.

Ok so you are topping your drives. You're opening your shoulders way early and as a result releasing high or above the equator of the ball. Be sure you keep your chest moving through the hitting zone. As long as the chest moves though the zone the shoulders will follow and your club fact will make contact in the center.

I do this with the 3W every once in awhile when I try to get after one. Great advice.

Speaking only for me, if I try to hang back and hit up with the driver, I usually hit low shots. I I get a good weight shift, height isn't a problem. For me anyways.

Back