How you may chose to play a given situation "but" based on what it means at the time

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
How you may chose to play a given situation "but" based on what it means at the time

You have a choice on a shot and I thought it be fun and interesting to see how your thoughts change when deciding how to play in two different yet very significant scoring situations .

I'll put you in a "second shot" scenario on one of my local muni p5 holes which pops up alot in my casual rounds of golf. The yardage will be made relevant for each individual. The hole will be #18. The shot itself will be a scenario where you need to make a decision to go for it or not. Pretty simple right? But I wanted to see how the strategy changes due to just what it means scoring wise at the time.

The shot scenario =
Wind not a factor
After a good drive you are on your second shot of a p5 #18.
Elevated green is reachable with your longest club but it is all carry due to water in front.
(sorry edited post to add) the drop zone is about 70yrds out
The choice is to go or not but....

The scoring situations
1st scenario = Par ties and birdie wins
2nd scenario = Bird ties and eagle wins

Last edited:
I would lay up in both scenarios. Going for a par 5 guarded by water with my longest club isn't something that I would ever do at this point. I would much rather trust my putter in both of these scenarios. In the second scenario an eagle wins but a double bogey probably isn't going to help you very much which is probably what I would end up with.

Laying up both. Not even a question for me.

I'm also in the camp of laying-up for both.

Longest club gets there? No thanks, I don't trust my 3w to carry that far. Layup every time in that sense

Yep, my longest club is my 3w, and since it won't hold greens on the fly, it would be useless in that scenario.

Layup, try to get up and down for bird.

My 3w can be hit or miss and water in front just too dangerous. If I could get there with a 5w or hybrid I'd likely go for it in scenario 2.

Longest club being 3W, lay up in both. I think there's more of a decision to make if it's your second longest club.

I think just about everybody is going to say lay up. Take the water out and we have a different story.

Nice try, Roy McAvoy.

tin%20cup.jpg

Longest club being 3W, lay up in both. I think there's more of a decision to make if it's your second longest club.

I think just about everybody is going to say lay up. Take the water out and we have a different story.

Yes I agree second longest club would be different for some of us. The water is there and what makes it hard to chose. I would lay up myself for both but i thought from other scenarios layed out and what i've seen people do on the course (although casually) lead me to believe some may feel differently about weather to outright go for the win, vs loss, or draw.

Water + last hole competition pressure = 99% chance of choking
Lay up every time for me, take 2nd place, shake the winners hand, figure out how to score better on preceding holes.

Now sudden death play off, different story with different variables...

I would go for it in both scenarios. I would rather lose trying than to tie by playing it safe.

For what it's worth, I'd also go for the touchdown on a 4th and goal with 10 seconds left and only being down by 3.

Lay up for both. I'm with the rest, make that 2nd shot a 2H and I'd go for it in the 2nd scenario.
This is competition, as well. Make it a regular round, and the 3w comes out. Make it eagle for a personal best, and the 3w comes out.

But in competition, I just HATE giving it away. Got to play the percentages there.

Lay up every time for me, take 2nd place, shake the winners hand, figure out how to score better on preceding holes.

Just curious why would it be different? You can still take second and shake hands too.

Lay up,wedge to the green, three putt for the loss.:banghead:

Just curious why would it be different? You can still take second and shake hands too.

More head to head, you can see what the other guy has done and might even see how his second was, I was making assumptions about the original that I wouldn't be playing with leading opponent as I knew the score I needed already.

But you know what they say about assuming... :D

I'm laying up for sure. Why? because I can place myself for a shot to the green and have a full wedge in to stick it close.

That way even with adrenalin pumping I can hit a nice full shot to the green and get close whereas with my longest club there is no hope of being close unless its an accident.

It's a par 5 where birdie either wins it or takes you to a playoff. Not necessarily second place yet!

I would go for it in both scenarios. I would rather lose trying than to tie by playing it safe.

For what it's worth, I'd also go for the touchdown on a 4th and goal with 10 seconds left and only being down by 3.

Absolutely. Nobody wants to hear about how I laid up at the water cooler on Monday.

It's a par 5 where birdie either wins it or takes you to a playoff. Not necessarily second place yet!

D'oh! Ability to read/comprehend would be beneficial!

I still think the same, water means pratically no chance of play off, safe and you've got a shot at it, by then you've sealed 2nd so can go for it depending the circumstances of the opposition in the play off. (He goes first and oob, I'm playing 3 x 6i :D )

I would like to know how long my shot is going to be into the green if I decide to lay up. If its less than 125 I would lay up in both situations. If that third shot gets to be any longer I might consider going for it in the second scenario, not the first. I feel very confident with my wedges and inside of 125 is green lit to attack.

My approach would also be dependent on where the pin is placed on the green. If its back and there is more room to get my 4w to settle down once clearing the water, then I might have a go.

Back