TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I predict that you end up loving that 4 iron just like Jake does. Still annoyed I forgot to bring it, but I sort of rushed to the course. It was a surprise trip.

I predict that you end up loving that 4 iron just like Jake does. Still annoyed I forgot to bring it, but I sort of rushed to the course. It was a surprise trip.
I do love my long irons, that is a fact. I'm still just hung up on how much better they look in hand. Broken record I know, but they really do.

Few questions

How are the rocket fuel shafts for those who have em. Do any of you wish you went with a different shaft to keep flight down. Will these hurt you in the wind?

Heres the money question that I tough to answer but I am curious. So far, if faced with the option to buy burner 2.0 or RBz irons for half price, would these irons be worth the extra coin?

I was very surprised. For what they are, they have a very nice look. I'm a fan of the chrome and the satin/brushed face is a great touch. They are a departure from their previous distance irons. I don't feel like I should be younger and cooler than I am with them in the bag.

Few questions

How are the rocket fuel shafts for those who have em. Do any of you wish you went with a different shaft to keep flight down. Will these hurt you in the wind?

Heres the money question that I tough to answer but I am curious. So far, if faced with the option to buy burner 2.0 or RBz irons for half price, would these irons be worth the extra coin?

Can't answer the RocketFuel question as I have Tour 90's. They are a free upgrade, fwiw. Also can't answer the second question for you. To be honest, I wouldn't buy either of the other irons at half the price to begin with, so I may be the wrong guy to ask.

How can they Taylor made even begin to call these blades?????

The name is definitely different. They are not blade-like at all.

Few questions

If I went through a fitting, I would venture to say that I would end up with the KBS Tour shaft again. Plus I prefer the feel of them.
As to the 2nd question, I am not sure I can answer that. A lot of that has to do with a personal side of money and what people like to spend their money on. I did not love the Burners. I found the RBZs good at what they were, but not for me. This set I could put in the bag tomorrow with few issues so far.

More testing is needed for me though to give a full review.

Check out the THP Radio show on the home page on these. We asked TaylorMade that question.

I did spend limited time with the 5 iron as well. Seemed like my percentage of good vs bad was definitely lower than with the 7 iron, which isn't a surprise. Didn't take an average or even record any numbers, but I do remember the carry number on my best shot - 177 yards. May seem small to some, but that's a great number for me. Something I plan on practicing as often as possible. I'd like to have that as a reliable distance.

Wow Hawk that is a stout 5i.

Few questions

The Rocket Fuel shafts seem pretty good. Sure I think there are better shafts to help keep the ball flight down but I've been able to keep the flight in check a lot better with these than I ever did with the Burner 2.0s. I'm still seeing a high ball flight, but if needed I've been able to keep it down. I have to say they seem like a very good fit for these irons.

That's a good question. Burner 2.0s at half price or these. I'd probably lean toward these to be honest, the minute you were to buy the 2.0s you'd already know you're playing older technology than what's out there. To me if you're going to invest in a new set of irons you might as well get the latest and greatest out there because you'll know you're not going to go into them already feeling like you're settling. Now that being said I think the Burner 2.0 are great irons, my dad LOVES his. I feel like the RocketBladez are a significant step forward myself.

Wow Hawk that is a stout 5i.

That's LM numbers, Chunky, so take it for what it is. Plus, the speed slot is supposed to be more effective in the longer irons. I did hit one in that range off a tee on the course today though. Not something I can do every time for sure :|

Me neither dude. Usually its about 170 or about 50 lol.

Me neither dude. Usually its about 170 or about 50 lol.

It held it's own vs my M5, which makes me wonder a little bit about keeping it in the bag. Need to see if it's as consistent for me first though.

I just cant hit a long iron with any sort of consistancy. Much better with a hybrid

Me too normally man. Only way to tell is to see how it works long term. I've been happy with the M5.

Posted via tapatalk.

I just cant hit a long iron with any sort of consistancy. Much better with a hybrid

Me too, the longest I can hit is a 5 iron. I can do 4 but it's rare. I hope these irons really change that

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I love the way the A wedge looks compared to the rest of the set, awesome!

After a couple round with these irons in the bag they've really grown on me. A couple things really stand out. First I see a bit lower ball flight when compared to my i20's. Specially in the longer irons like the 6 and 5. And Ive started to hit a lot more draw, draw hooks and straight nasty hooks. When I played on Thursday I went back to a par 3 I skipped because of slow play. Put down my ball Id used all day and promptly hit a hooker into the pond to the left. But put another down and made sure I didnt come too far to the inside and hit a nice draw that landed two feet to the right just before the hole and stopped about 5 feet pin high or so. Im not really sure I see anything different or special from the clubs with the speed slot thing in them but the sound seems to be different. As far as the shafts and feel these fall right in line with what I like. Not too heavy and not too light. They work for my swing. The PW and I are getting along rather nicely but the AW has given my fits. I have to be very careful that I dont get too steep or I chunk the crap out of it. I do think it looks much better then the ATV but it seems to perform exactly the same. Up to this point I have not seen any nuked balls that go way further then Id expect. Distance seems to be in line with what I expect it to be.

What kind of sound are you hearing KMAC? What are your distances with your other irons? Try to get a sense of distance the ROcketbladez are producing. Is it hard to keep your slot clean?

After a couple round with these irons in the bag they've really grown on me. A couple things really stand out. First I see a bit lower ball flight when compared to my i20's. Specially in the longer irons like the 6 and 5. And Ive started to hit a lot more draw, draw hooks and straight nasty hooks. When I played on Thursday I went back to a par 3 I skipped because of slow play. Put down my ball Id used all day and promptly hit a hooker into the pond to the left. But put another down and made sure I didnt come too far to the inside and hit a nice draw that landed two feet to the right just before the hole and stopped about 5 feet pin high or so. Im not really sure I see anything different or special from the clubs with the speed slot thing in them but the sound seems to be different. As far as the shafts and feel these fall right in line with what I like. Not too heavy and not too light. They work for my swing. The PW and I are getting along rather nicely but the AW has given my fits. I have to be very careful that I dont get too steep or I chunk the crap out of it. I do think it looks much better then the ATV but it seems to perform exactly the same. Up to this point I have not seen any nuked balls that go way further then Id expect. Distance seems to be in line with what I expect it to be.

Nice Kmac! Don't count that first shot. Are you preferring the lower flight or do you wish it were higher?

What kind of sound are you hearing KMAC? What are your distances with your other irons? Try to get a sense of distance the ROcketbladez are producing. Is it hard to keep your slot clean?

Its hard to describe but almost a hallow type sound? It might be from just missing the sweet spot too which Ive been known to do a few times. Trying to think of holes where I got exact distances and then what iron I hit. I know the times Ive hit the 4 iron for me that club seems to be about 190 give or take a few. I hit the 5 iron on a 180 yard par 3 with too much draw and that went a little far. The other par 3 that I went back to play and hit the first in the water, that one is 180 on the card but to the stick was a tad less and a 6 iron was the club.

No the slot does not seem to be an issue at all. I use the towel and my frogger brush on them when necessary and so far it hasnt been an issue.

Nice Kmac! Don't count that first shot. Are you preferring the lower flight or do you wish it were higher?

So far I like what Im seeing. I hit a high ball already so what Im seeing is pretty ideal for me. A miss is a miss. My miss is now more an over cooked draw probably from my swing getting too flat and then the longer shafts making it even worse.

Is it hard to keep your slot clean?

The slot has rubber/polymer in it Freddie, no fear of dirt there IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks folks for your replies to my questions on page 19. Tough to argue many points stated. Yet, I was thinking about this last night. How revlutionary can these irons be? This would depend on the user, but for the most part. I am feeling as though the marketing stuff is filtering through. Not to say this is a bad thing, just that I sense these are more gimmicky than originally thought. These thoughts are rather small minded have you as I have yet to hit them. Obvisouly they have a lot of my interest. I like to be able to smoke a 240 yard 4 iron, thats rad. Just to me and perhaps some others, there is 400 dollars that could be sitting on the table with a set of 2.0. Than you have looks, feel, and stuff, etc... factored into the equation (P4B made a great reference to newness).
Thanks for your thoughts folks, once again THP is the only place to see what all the fuss about equipment is. I look forward to more testing!

Spent a few hours yesterday trying these irons and comparing them to some mizuno's on the launch monitor.

On the good side, the sounds at impact was nice. It is a lower sound than usual - which I personally like. Hitting through the ball also feels nice, it felt pretty smooth.

On the negative side was the lack of distance control. I was hoping the marketing was not a lie, but it seems to be. I will go back again later for another session. Just to give a sense of the lack of control, I was hitting the 6 iron anywhere between 222 to 186 yard with a club head speed between 93 and 88 mph.

The distance was a bit longer than the blade I was comparing them too, the MP69. But only by a few yard max (5 maybe). The blade felt more consistent though in terms of distance control.

Ill try another session or two to confirm the result.

Back