Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I have thought about that many times, buying the headcover solo. The driver and me just did not get along which is why it has been banished to Minnesota.

I like the oldschool look and how easy it is to get on and off.

Heading to Golf Town today to FINALLY try out the classic!! I feel like a little kid awaiting my birthday party after all I've read about this thing!

Anser vs classic 9 hole battle today, tied 1-1 so far

Played 9 holes today with a 10.5* classic with the kusala blue shaft.

Wins were about 10 mph for most of the day, and due to my time constraints I had no time to warmup.

It also happened that they put me on the 9 with tons of doglegs, so my focus on those holes were to just hit it straight off the tee.

I also hit my ping anser on every hole as well to compare the differences between the 2. I will followup with the drive specifics when I get back in town but I will say I really hit this thing rather well as the day went on.

First few seemed too high and I think that was due to teeing it up too high. As the round went on, I started hitting it better. And while I still had some misses, the dispersion was much better than the anser.

I had time to hit the range after, hit about 30 balls. Went back and forth between the 2 clubs til my last 10 balls.

I focused on going after the shot on these and really trying to hammer it. First few were good, thought it would be short lived but I kid you not I hit 10 balls in a row dead straight, all either hit at or in front of the 250 sign and the dispersion was unreal. Couldn't have been more than 7-8 yards off center on just a few. 10 of 10 fairways easily.

I'm now looking forward to trying this setup against a 12* with a indigo shaft and see how they fare.

I'll get the specifics of the round in a few days, but was so excited about how today went, I couldn't wait to post.

Played 9 holes today with a 10.5* classic with the kusala blue shaft.

Wins were about 10 mph for most of the day, and due to my time constraints I had no time to warmup.

It also happened that they put me on the 9 with tons of doglegs, so my focus on those holes were to just hit it straight off the tee.

I also hit my ping anser on every hole as well to compare the differences between the 2. I will followup with the drive specifics when I get back in town but I will say I really hit this thing rather well as the day went on.

First few seemed too high and I think that was due to teeing it up too high. As the round went on, I started hitting it better. And while I still had some misses, the dispersion was much better than the anser.

I had time to hit the range after, hit about 30 balls. Went back and forth between the 2 clubs til my last 10 balls.

I focused on going after the shot on these and really trying to hammer it. First few were good, thought it would be short lived but I kid you not I hit 10 balls in a row dead straight, all either hit at or in front of the 250 sign and the dispersion was unreal. Couldn't have been more than 7-8 yards off center on just a few. 10 of 10 fairways easily.

I'm now looking forward to trying this setup against a 12* with a indigo shaft and see how they fare.

I'll get the specifics of the round in a few days, but was so excited about how today went, I couldn't wait to post.

Very exciting Mike, confidence off the tee is something I long for. My 8.5 will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I am hoping to find golf with this dig. Looking forward to hearing as you continue to play around with your newest toy

Very exciting Mike, confidence off the tee is something I long for. My 8.5 will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I am hoping to find golf with this dig. Looking forward to hearing as you continue to play around with your newest toy

Yeah mad at myself for waiting this long to try it out.
And yes the confidence on the tee is huge, and had my short game and putting been at least mediocre I would have been real low today.

Good luck with urs when you get it, never tried the 8.5 might be something worth a ponder

Had another good day with my Classic as well this weekend. Other than a small disagreement in the middle of the round, I was pounding this thing all day. Hit a lot of wedges and was consistently one of the deepest drives in the group. Contended with my big hitting friend all day, which was nice. My miss lately has been on the toe with this driver. I will say though that those misses are not that penalizing. I've found them to be a little shorter, but they do roll a good ways as the result is almost always a draw. Right now, I see no reason for me to ponder a driver. I may ponder a new shaft, but will likely wait and see what next years offering looks like before going crazy.

Good to hear it, Mike and Jon!

I had another good weekend with El Classico as well. Hit a few stinkers to left city, but also ripped a few. I can't begin to tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to hit a driver with some consistent distance. Just game changing for me, especially since we played from a distance well out of my wheelhouse. Actually had a viable shot at getting to 1/3 par 5's in two, which never happens for me either. Most of that is swing related, but I do think this is a good set-up for me as well. Ball height is right where I like it and I see some pretty good forgiveness off-center, which is appreciated.

Good to hear it, Mike and Jon!

I had another good weekend with El Classico as well. Hit a few stinkers to left city, but also ripped a few. I can't begin to tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to hit a driver with some consistent distance. Just game changing for me, especially since we played from a distance well out of my wheelhouse. Actually had a viable shot at getting to 1/3 par 5's in two, which never happens for me either. Most of that is swing related, but I do think this is a good set-up for me as well. Ball height is right where I like it and I see some pretty good forgiveness off-center, which is appreciated.

El Classico FTW. Glad to hear you are still hitting this well. Thanks for bumping the thread, I forgot I owe an update to this oen and the ping anser, will get to that tonight for sure

3 swings today. 3 fairways. I miss hit the first one a little and lost some distance but it was still dead straight. I was happy with the other 2. I think it was actually 4 but the dark stole my last shot. Couldn't see it at all and just abandoned the round.

Really love this club. So nice to have a driver I can hit.

2more long days till the classic arrives... Come on drive that truck faster

Classic did well today for me after a long period away. Nice, predictable fades. Hit plenty of FWs today with this en route to 12 pars on the round.

Took a 10.5* Kusala Blue Classic out on Friday for a few swings.

3 of 7 fairways, 2 of them I blew through doglegs right down the middle off of the tee so I can live with that.

Avg distance was only 233 cause I had a few fugly's. Long drive for me was 261.

The dispersion for me was great as even my misses were in the vicinity of the fairways. Took awhile to get used to the muted sound and feel compared to the Anser I have been testing. Felt also during the round that maybe Im getting too high of a launch which this time of year is leading to little to no roll, something I can look into over the winter in a launch monitor.

The real fun was afterwards on the range. After messing around with tee height and going back and forth between this driver and the Anser, I started to really go after it on the last 10-12 balls. Best 5 minutes of hitting a golf ball EVER. Every single one was dead straight right at the 250 sign I was aiming at. Some landed short, some went past, but all were dead straight. The dispersion could not have been more than 5-8 yards in any direction. It was a great feeling that has me really excited about the possibilities with this club. Still didnt look like I was getting a ton of roll and not sure what the final distances were, but they were substantially longer than what I experienced on the course.

Thanks to VA VINCE I have a 12* with an Indigo shaft to tinker around with as well. Hopefully there are a few more good days on the weekends to get some swings in

That's good to hear, Mike. Sounds like you are able to get some pretty good results by putting a little more into it. That's sometimes hard to do on the course if you're staring down trouble, but it might be worth a shot.

3 of 7 fairways, 2 of them I blew through doglegs right down the middle off of the tee so I can live with that.

The dispersion for me was great as even my misses were in the vicinity of the fairways. Took awhile to get used to the muted sound and feel compared to the Anser I have been testing. Felt also during the round that maybe Im getting too high of a launch which this time of year is leading to little to no roll, something I can look into over the winter in a launch monitor.

The real fun was afterwards on the range. After messing around with tee height and going back and forth between this driver and the Anser, I started to really go after it on the last 10-12 balls. Best 5 minutes of hitting a golf ball EVER. Every single one was dead straight right at the 250 sign I was aiming at. Some landed short, some went past, but all were dead straight. The dispersion could not have been more than 5-8 yards in any direction. It was a great feeling that has me really excited about the possibilities with this club. Still didnt look like I was getting a ton of roll and not sure what the final distances were, but they were substantially longer than what I experienced on the course.

Thanks to VA VINCE I have a 12* with an Indigo shaft to tinker around with as well. Hopefully there are a few more good days on the weekends to get some swings in
Interested to hear your thoughts on the 12*/Indigo setup. Especially comparing them directly to the 10.5*/Black setup that you really seemed to like.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the 12*/Indigo setup. Especially comparing them directly to the 10.5*/Black setup that you really seemed to like.

Yeah should be interesting, hoping to get both some range time and on the course comparisons, Id love to hit 2 balls each hole but might be tough if it was as busy as it was last friday. And FYI its the 10.5* Blue setup, not sure Ive hit the black before.

Good luck with that 12* offering....that loft certianly isn't for everyone

Yeah should be interesting, hoping to get both some range time and on the course comparisons, Id love to hit 2 balls each hole but might be tough if it was as busy as it was last friday. And FYI its the 10.5* Blue setup, not sure Ive hit the black before.
Not sure why I thought it was the Black? I like the Blue better anyway. :act-up:

Good luck with that 12* offering....that loft certianly isn't for everyone

yeah I already have a high flight, so this loft/shaft combo will make things interesting. VA Vince sent it to me on a loaner so as long as I dont break it, no harm done lol

Not sure why I thought it was the Black? I like the Blue better anyway. :act-up:

Im hoping to repeat last week's ball striking with it, I'll take 250 into wind down the middle all day long! Will just hve to get that out from the range onto the course...

yeah I already have a high flight, so this loft/shaft combo will make things interesting. VA Vince sent it to me on a loaner so as long as I dont break it, no harm done lol

No worries dude, it's only a $250 shaft. I really think the indigo will produce a lower flight but you never know as most peoples swings are different. I hit some stingers with that setup.

No worries dude, it's only a $250 shaft. I really think the indigo will produce a lower flight but you never know as most peoples swings are different. I hit some stingers with that setup.

Yeah, tomorrow should be the day I get to try it out. Going to take both out at the same time hopefully and see what happens

Well yoo should clear most hazards at least with that combo haha

Im hoping to repeat last week's ball striking with it, I'll take 250 into wind down the middle all day long! Will just hve to get that out from the range onto the course...

Cleveland Classic Plus 588 wedge equals early birdie

Hit 2 classics today

290 with kusala blue was money, 10 of 14 fairways and 2 misses were a few feet. Decent distance for not getting any roll, some in 230s and a few in 250 and one 260.

270 with 12* head and indigo shaft didn't work, skied a few and the closed face was no bueno for me.

Pondering what a 9.5 head with the kusala blue could do.

Man I love this driver, and would be estatic if chosen to represent them in the mc

Back