Sposey549

Golfaholic
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
What loft are you playing? I have always heard that the slower you swing the higher your loft should be while the faster the lower. Myself I do not believe in this. I have a swing speed in the low 90's and use a higher loft. I have also read that Lee Westwood has went to a 12*. So what's everyone's take on this?

What loft are you playing? I have always heard that the slower you swing the higher your loft should be while the faster the lower. Myself I do not believe in this. I have a swing speed in the low 90's and use a higher loft. I have also read that Lee Westwood has went to a 12*. So what's everyone's take on this?

That's not true as anymore. Through fittings we are now seeing high swing speed players get great results with higher lofted drivers.

Dont fear loft. Embrace it.

I'm at 12.5 with mine. I find it gives me less sidespin and with softer and shaggier fairways I get more distance with the added carry the higher loft gives me.

This past weekend, the ideal set up for me with the SLDR was set to 7.5* loft paired with a Di7 shaft. Low spin/low launch head with a stiff, low spin/launch shaft. This is with 109 mph swing speed. There are a ton of factors in play to determine the ideal set up, not just swing speeds.

That's not true as anymore. Through fittings we are now seeing high swing speed players get great results with higher lofted drivers.

Absolutely true. I used to play a 9.5* driver and now I am at 11.5. My driver swing speed ranges from 103-108. I can't see myself going back to a lower loft.

11.5 for me with around 100mph swing.

Static loft doesn't matter, it's the dynamic loft numbers at impact that matter. I deliver the club to the ball with less dynamic loft than most people who hit 9.5* drivers, so a higher lofted driver works great for me.

I have a 95-97 mph swing speed, right about where regular and stiff flex shafts get a lovely grey area. I get great distance with 9.5* and stiff shaft, but it's highly unforgiving. On the other hand, 10.5 or even 11.5 find fairways with far more consistency. Some of that has to do with the forgiveness inherent on the club itself, the shaft, the swingweight, and how the club handles the load of the swing. While loft plays a part, there are so many moving and static pieces that make up the swing, especially when you're going for max distance and proper direction, for it to be as simple as less loft = more distance.

11.5 for me with around 100mph swing.

Static loft doesn't matter, it's the dynamic loft numbers at impact that matter. I deliver the club to the ball with less dynamic loft than most people who hit 9.5* drivers, so a higher lofted driver works great for me.

Is that an '01 Bullitt in your av? Love the smoked out headlamps. If my 'Stang didn't already have very new headlamps and foglights I'd seriously consider getting a similar set.

Is that an '01 Bullitt in your av? Love the smoked out headlamps. If my 'Stang didn't already have very new headlamps and foglights I'd seriously consider getting a similar set.

Yeah, that's my toy.

I play anywhere from 10.5 to 12 (depending on the driver I have in play) with a 112 swing speed. Swing speed is not the only determining factor in deciding what the best loft for a player is.

I play anywhere from 10.5 to 12 (depending on the driver I have in play) with a 112 swing speed. Swing speed is not the only determining factor in deciding what the best loft for a player is.

Same here man. You have to take into account everything that is involved in the swing: you, the shaft, and the club head. I had been playing a 9.5* in a mid spin driver/shaft combo. In a low spin combo of the SLDR this weekend, I could go anywhere from 11.5*-12.5*. It's all about optimizing launch, distance and accuracy.

I think it depends on lots of stuff including the driver model and shaft. I have a swing speed of about 85 mph. Most fitters would push me into a high lofted driver. I have a Callaway Razr Fit 10.5 regular shaft that goes way too high and drops out of the sky with no role. Moved to a Ping G25 9.5 regular shaft that goes lower and runs farther. I gained 20 + yards. So, I think it depends on lots of stuff.

I alternate between 2 2012 Cleveland Classic drivers. A 9* with a high launch Miyazaki White 61S shaft and the other a 10.5* with a low launch Miyazaki Black 61S. Hiit the 9* slightly lower and get a little more roll out. More carry distance with the 10.5* but about the same total distance. For me, these are pretty much interchangeable because of the differences in the shafts. My average swing speed is about 95.

I guess it also depends on many things like how high one tees the ball and where it is in the stance and how much up the arc when we make contact. I have 9.5 but raised it 3/4* so its at 10 to 10n1/2. But without actually measuring those manufacturer specs it can be off some according to my fitter and others I've heard from. That's one thing (if true) that I cant understand with todays pricey, high tech, drivers that are the best ever made with all the marketing and professionalism etc. Yet they cant get the loft spec to be precise without tolerance? I hope that not true.

8.5 for me with a low launch low spin shaft with SS around 105.

Lots of factors go into loft and shaft combo, attack angle, swing tempo, swing speed, design and properties of said club head so its not as easy as high loft=low SS or low loft=High SS

Currently gaming my R1 at 11.25˚. Lowest I've ever gone consistently is 10.5.

Loft is your friend. I am playing at 11.5. And it's a blast.

Currently got 9.5 but thinking about going back to 10.5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I have my R11S set to 11.25 and wouldn't go down any. I hit the ball so much better with the added loft from my old 9.5 driver.

Swing speed definitely isn't the only thing that determines loft. I'm somewhere between 101 and 104 mph, I'm playing 10.5. I played with a guy on Friday that owns a golf shop, so he has access to basically any club and shaft that he wants. He's currently playing a 913D2 with 12 degrees of loft paired with a Diamana ahina X-flex shaft. It's an odd setup, but he feels like that's what gives him the best launch conditions.

I play my R11 right at 12*, open face and cut down to 44.5". My SS is 93-95 and its pretty much a fairway finder.

Currently gaming 913 d3 10.5 set to c1. So I believe actual static loft is 11.25 and 1.5* open. Getting great launch and spin numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I've got my R1 set at 10.5* and Neutral. Haven't played around with the loft much but you guys are inspiring me to go higher on the loft and see what works well for me.

For those with an adjustable driver like the R1 or the SLDR...do you make changes to the club during a round or pretty much leave it alone once it's set up?

I was changing mine mid round so I could see the flight using my game ball. I decided on 9.5 and the face setting in neutral.

My Razr Fit is 9.5° but I might just bring out the old Cleveland 12°. Just for comparison.

Back