Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Some great updates kmac and war. Ill be playing tomorrow so I will get some good ones in with this wedge.

In a good way or bad? Do you feel like you're leaving strokes out on the course because of of it?

Sorry dude, I missed this question.

Short answer, yes. I can't get a solid feel for it yet on short chips and pitches. Yesterday gave me a few examples of this, and later in the round as I started adjusting more I was seeing better results. Still, the spin isn't there on less than half shots for the most part. I know it's not technique because I can perform these shots with my other wedges very consistently. A few examples of good and bad from the round are below.

After a totally terrible swing I came up well short on a par 3 and in a coquina waste bunker, anyone who has played in these knows you have to get sharp ball first contact to get out. Since the pin was in the center I wanted to land the ball on the front and let it release to the hole. I carried it a tad to far and landed it by the hole, it released maybe 5 feet, which is totally acceptable from where I was. Later on the back 9 I missed the green to the right on a par 3 and had a long uphill pitch to the hole. So it's a long pitch, uphill, and the ball is sitting down in some bermuda, great. I put the ball back in my stance and make an sharp chip stroke, the ball came out low and hot as it released to the hole, ran about 5' past and I was able to save par. On another par 4 came up short of the green (seeing a trend here yet?) and had to go over a bunker to a slightly sloped green. I felt the only way I could stop the ball was to just carry the bunker and land it in the fringe to kill the momentum. The ball was really nestled down in the rough around the bunker, so I need to go pretty firm at it but I didn't want to hit it too far. I opened the face up a bit and popped the ball right up and out over the bunker, landed it in the fringe and let it release to the hole. Exactly what I wanted to do, well other than hole it out of course.

After coming up short on a par 4 I was just in the fringe and had about 20 paces to the pin. It was an uphill shot into a part of the green that looked like a trough, I though "ok, just land the ball here in the trough and let it take the break and release to the hole." I struck the ball well, just clipped it off the turf, flew it to the spot I wanted and it bit hard, maybe releasing 6 inches. I had a little what the heck moment as I've not seen anything like that with the RTX so far.

Well, I was using my 588 58* wedge, in my haste to grab a club I pulled the wrong one by mistake. This is exactly I what I don't see from the RTX, that hard bite on the first or second bounce depending on the shot type. Now I'm having to use trajectory to control the ball more vs being able to throw the ball at my target and relying on the check to stop it.

One last thing, I have this weird habit of hitting a bunker shot on 18 if I haven't had one during the round. So after we played 18 I dropped a ball in the greenside bunker and had a go at getting up and down. Flawless. The club thumped the sand perfectly and popped the ball up and out while landing softly for a 4' putt. I can't ask for any more than that out of a bunker. I'm still not convinced what it is about the wedge that makes it perform so well from the sand, but it does.

Interesting thoughts Danny. I haven't noticed a lack of spin but the amazing spin that people speak of, I dont see. This performs just like a brand new wedge to me.

I do find that closing the face a tiny bit on long pitches helps stop the ball quite fast though.

This thing is great out of well manicured bunkers!

iPad tapping!

I got out for another round today and tried to put the RTX through the ringer again. There wasn't a single shot of 80 yards and in that I didn't use the 56* RTX CB. It almost felt like a single club round as I was driving the ball fairly well and my iron game was pretty good, so most of my strokes were around the green and on it. Unfortunately I didn't use the RTX to putt!!! I thought for this round I would try to think of the wedge from a few different areas, Feel, Performance, Forgiveness, Versatility, Confidence.

Feel
I think I can finally say I've got the hang of the feel with this wedge. When I'm given a shot that i may need a little finesse on this wedges feel allows me to pull it off. There were a few pitches and chips that I needed to get close for an up and down and the RTX performed beautifully for me.

Performance
I think this is the one thing that stuck out the most to me this time around. If one word could describe the wedge it truly is it performs. I was thoroughly impressed from the full shots to the most delicate chips it truly shined. The one shot that I usually fear is a shot on the fringe or first cut of rough around the green and I don't trust myself to not chunk it or skull it straight across the green. With the RTX I know I can perform when needed.

Forgiveness
I have never had a wedge forgive as much as the RTX on Full, 3/4 and half shots. It's nice to know even if I don't make great contact it doesn't go off line that much. We have decent size greens and even when contact was a little off I was able to keep it on the green, it might have been a bit longer than I wanted but at least it was still a putt. I didn't' notice the forgiveness as much on the shorter shots, but certainly on the longer ones.

Versatility
I've never had a wedge that I felt like I could play from many different lies, I always used different lofted clubs instead of changing one to fit. The RTX really can handle multiple shots with only a few minor adjustments. The one thing I haven't been able to narrow down yet is the low skidder, which in the end isn't horrible as I normally want the ball to get up and the RTX does that. But when I do need to keep it down, under the wind I need to try and figure that out better.

Confidence
My short game has mostly been the bane of my golf game and continues to be. So confidence is huge when it comes to any shot from 100 yards and in, especially around the greens when I know I need to get the ball up and down for at least a bogey save. The RTX really helps that mental part of the game for me and gives me confidence that I can do what I need to do to get the ball in the hole. It's great to have a club that not only performs when it connects with the ball but also gives me a great mental state that I know I can put a good swing on the ball and even if I don't it'll help me out.

I have a question for you all, the one thing I'm trying to figure out more is how the sole and turf interact, I find the bounce to be pretty pronounced and help most of the time, especially out of bunkers. But when I need a more piercing leading edge to cut through I don't seem to be able to get that type of outcome. Any tips on how to get more of a cut through the turf instead of a bounce?

Good freaking write up Icey.

To your question, have you tried leaning the shaft forward to promote a sharper downward strike into the ball?

Forgiveness
I have never had a wedge forgive as much as the RTX on Full, 3/4 and half shots. It's nice to know even if I don't make great contact it doesn't go off line that much. We have decent size greens and even when contact was a little off I was able to keep it on the green, it might have been a bit longer than I wanted but at least it was still a putt. I didn't' notice the forgiveness as much on the shorter shots, but certainly on the longer ones.

Versatility
I've never had a wedge that I felt like I could play from many different lies, I always used different lofted clubs instead of changing one to fit. The RTX really can handle multiple shots with only a few minor adjustments. The one thing I haven't been able to narrow down yet is the low skidder, which in the end isn't horrible as I normally want the ball to get up and the RTX does that. But when I do need to keep it down, under the wind I need to try and figure that out better.

I have a question for you all, the one thing I'm trying to figure out more is how the sole and turf interact, I find the bounce to be pretty pronounced and help most of the time, especially out of bunkers. But when I need a more piercing leading edge to cut through I don't seem to be able to get that type of outcome. Any tips on how to get more of a cut through the turf instead of a bounce?

I am listening for answers to that last question.

Good freaking write up Icey.

To your question, have you tried leaning the shaft forward to promote a sharper downward strike into the ball?

Thanks man. I have but I probably don't work on it enough. My short game sessions are going to be long. I've got a ton to work on!!!

Tapatalking on my iPhone!

Thanks man. I have but I probably don't work on it enough. My short game sessions are going to be long. I've got a ton to work on!!!

Tapatalking on my iPhone!

Do you take divots with your irons? If you're more of a picker then you won't see a ton of turf interaction which is perfectly fine. I tend to see more interaction when I try and hit a knockdown, or lower trajectory shot, a nice compact divot everytime.

I received an 588 RTX CB about the same time as these guys. So here are my initial thoughts after my first adventure with the Cleveland stunner.
It is clear to me that the bounce(14*) is sooo much more than I am used to. The leading edge looks so rounded, like a bumper!
The black finish is amazing. This club looks great; even better with my name on the hosel(totally unexpected).

I took mine to the range today for the first time. I started out just chipping, using ProV1x. My normal shots with my Nike VRPro 57*/10* will check and rollout 4 feet or so on this green. I struggled to get going with the ROTEX. I tried to open the face a bit, but was unable to on most of the thinner/tighter lies around here. I had so many close to the toe. When 50% of the contact is off the scoring lines, I was excited to see it stop at all!
A8CbZSwCAAIY3P4.jpg:large

The bunker was soaked to near concrete, but I tried a few anyway. I managed a few decent shots by blasting this heavy rascal deeper than I would my current sand wedge. It created smooth channels where it pounded across/through. Most shots came out fairly high & soft, considering the starting point.

On to the mats, using range rocks: 80% shots, I got a crispy 85yd shot. Not stopping them, but they were landing on hard ground. The accuracy was great! The heavier feel of this club must play a part in that. I found that full swings were pretty darn good, too. 100-110 on tap, probably due to shutting the leading edge down. I typically play my 57* about 80yds easily & 95 if I jump on it. Hitting from the mats is not great, but was all that was available for me today.

There are 5 yardage markers with metal boxes to target shorter shots(45yds, 55yds, 60yds, and 2 @ 85yds.). I split fifty balls equally among these to see what results I got. I hit 5 balls at a time; one to each target. The 45 yd target was the most difficult. The high bounce forced me to hit shots I would not normally choose. Direction was good, distance was good. Stopping the ball, not good. The low shots, while leaving plenty of white marks on the ROTEX clubface, had very little chance of slowing down. With this club I would expect a bit more loft on the shot, it was more bump & run which is not my style from this distance.

55yds & 60 yds were better. Still great accuracy, for me, with most shots landing with in 10 feet. A few even in the "box," which rings alerting the entire range to my skill!
Shutting the leading edge down for these was a bit more comfortable. Great shots to stay under the wind, which did not exist today.

The 85 yard shots were as good as I could ask for. Accuracy was excellent, even better than on the shorter yardages.

I look forward to playing this club on grass & in during an actual round. I play a 54*/12* & a 57*/10*, so this club is a bit odd for me. It will take some practice & I look forward to having it in my bag soon.

Very nice Dance Biz! Looking forward to your throughts when you are able to get them in in play and on grass.

I got out for another round today and tried to put the RTX through the ringer again. There wasn't a single shot of 80 yards and in that I didn't use the 56* RTX CB. It almost felt like a single club round as I was driving the ball fairly well and my iron game was pretty good, so most of my strokes were around the green and on it. Unfortunately I didn't use the RTX to putt!!! I thought for this round I would try to think of the wedge from a few different areas, Feel, Performance, Forgiveness, Versatility, Confidence.

Feel
I think I can finally say I've got the hang of the feel with this wedge. When I'm given a shot that i may need a little finesse on this wedges feel allows me to pull it off. There were a few pitches and chips that I needed to get close for an up and down and the RTX performed beautifully for me.

Performance
I think this is the one thing that stuck out the most to me this time around. If one word could describe the wedge it truly is it performs. I was thoroughly impressed from the full shots to the most delicate chips it truly shined. The one shot that I usually fear is a shot on the fringe or first cut of rough around the green and I don't trust myself to not chunk it or skull it straight across the green. With the RTX I know I can perform when needed.

Forgiveness

Versatility

Confidence
My short game has mostly been the bane of my golf game and continues to be. So confidence is huge when it comes to any shot from 100 yards and in, especially around the greens when I know I need to get the ball up and down for at least a bogey save. The RTX really helps that mental part of the game for me and gives me confidence that I can do what I need to do to get the ball in the hole. It's great to have a club that not only performs when it connects with the ball but also gives me a great mental state that I know I can put a good swing on the ball and even if I don't it'll help me out.

Icey that's a solid write up man. I'm with you on the versatility of this wedge. We seem to struggle with the same type of shot with this though, that low ball.

PREVIOUS POSTS

Like I said earlier, I turned in a truly dreadful round on Saturday, but this wedge and I were able to find some more common ground. When I was able to get out of it's way, the wedge performed quite admirably. I chunked a number of shots, but that was not limited to my wedge. I even managed to dropkick a handful of putts... :at-wits-end: The good news though is that the thins I was seeing before were no where to be found. Anyways, moving on!

Chipping continues to be a strong point for me with this wedge. I'm not the worlds best short game player, but I've found this wedge to be pretty consistent for me and have been able to control distance pretty well. Not really a whole lot more I can say about this.

Pitching is definitely moving in the right direction for me as well. I've found that I really need to focus on hitting down on the ball to keep getting good contact. Had some really pretty pitches. Unfortunately, I was usually aimed too far right or left! :banghead: I'm not really seeing any spin increase on these shots, but I never put that much on pitches to begin with.

Only had a few, but partial and full shots were much better this time around as well. This is the area where I saw probably the best improvement over the first round. Again not seeing a ton of spin, but it's early going still, so no real judgement there.

Sand. Oh beautiful sand. Another 180 here for me from the first round. The bunkers at the local track aren't normally good and this Saturday was no different. Hard sand, soft sand, Lake Erie, you never quite know what you'll get. The only consistency was that it was all damp to some degree. Only found the bunker a few times. Didn't respect the first one and bounced the club off the sand, resulting in a flown green and a sizable pitch to get back to the pin (which went quite well). After that I committed to really being aggressive and forcing the club through the sand. Was rewarded handsomely on my other two shots. Spin wasn't really there either, but i never seem to get a ton of check out of the bunkers there. I was really concerned about the sand as everyone else was seeing such good results, and was relieved to have some success here.

So after filtering out all of the garbage that I added to the equation in the form of bad swings, I'm happy with the performance compared to my first time out with this wedge. I'm not seeing any crazy spin, but I'm definitely seeing what I'm used to. I'm sure with a urethane ball, I could probably see a bit more, but so far it's worked ok for me since that's what I'm used to. Going to try and sneak in a range session here this week and have two rounds scheduled for the holiday weekend. So plenty more to follow.

Glad to hear you're making some strides Jon. Next time out could you drop a few urethane balls down just for giggles? I'm curious if you won't see a bit more action from them on those pitches.

Last night I was bored and the football game wasn't holding my attention so I grabbed my wedges and gave them a bath, as I was doing this I compared the leading edges of my 588 with that of the RTX. From my use around the practice area and on the course I have always thought the 588 sets up more flush, or more level with the ground than the RTX. My 588 is a 58/12 the RTX is a 56/14 so the bounce isn't hugely different, but the leading edges are subtly different and I really am starting to think that is the reason I'm seeing less spin on the short chips and pitches. With the 588 I can get a sharp descending blow on the ball whereas with the RTX I'm having to be a little more careful as it can dig a little too much or conversely bounce into the ball.

Dean had mentioned something earlier in this thread about the ball feeling like it was running up the face, with that in mind I went home today for lunch and hit some shots around the yard. I noticed when I got into the ball with a swing that picked the club a little quicker I didn't get that running up the face feeling, instead it was more of a pushing the ball away feel. This probably makes no sense to anyone other than me, but I'm spitballing and trying different things to get this wedge fully figured out.

Last edited:
Pity I did not sign up for the pre-release wedges, oh well. Great looking wedge and thread by the way.

May I ask how are these compared to the callaway forged wedges?

Today I played with Kmac and had a great round but a mixed day with this wedge.

Full Shots
On full shots this was a gem today. Many times I got to swing it with a full shot I was on the green and 3/4 I was within 10 ft. It's a real point and shoot wedge and the weight helps you find your target line in the practice swings. It's a nice wedge with a nice hefty feel and some solid sound.

Half Shots & Pitches
Half shots and knockdowns I have struggled immensely with being able to leave myself short of the hole. Every time I am long. For whatever reason I can't get a shot to stay below the hole. I've blown over greens because the ball comes off the fact rather quickly. But I am coming around with it.

Chips and Flops
Here is one of the things that I am struggling with the most. My short game is built on a foundation of being able to push the limits of design and being able to manipulate the face as I see fit. This wedge is designed to be played square and straight up. You play the face square and choose wedges based on the height you need. This wouldn't bode well for people who like to play a 1 wedge system, but is good for people who play 1swing and choose wedges based on the scenario.

Bunkers
This club is a sure out, every time. Regardless of the scenario, this club will get you out on the very first shot.

******Notes

Opening the face causes a blade, every time.
Keeping the face square is the best way for height out of this wedge.
Spin is better from the front foot for chipping, but mid-back foot on full swings.

Thanks SW. I'll have to see if I have any at the house. I've been thinking about having another go round with the B330-RX though, so maybe this is a good excuse to get started!

Interesting about the leading edge. What was the difference? I'm finding that I do take some healthy divots with this wedge.

Good info Thain.

******Notes

Spin is better from the front foot for chipping, but mid-back foot on full swings.

These are some really good observation and I'm seeing the same things. I can still flop it out of the rough, but opening the face for pitches is now out of the question. However, if you square the face and make good contact it gets up higher than you expect. How far back are you moving the ball on full swings? I've moved it back pretty darn close to center.

Good info Thain.

These are some really good observation and I'm seeing the same things. I can still flop it out of the rough, but opening the face for pitches is now out of the question. However, if you square the face and make good contact it gets up higher than you expect. How far back are you moving the ball on full swings? I've moved it back pretty darn close to center.
I've seen this as well, it has actually surprised me several times. Its something I'm trying to wrap my mind around that I don't necessarily have to open it up like I used to do with previous wedges, not always.

I've gotten away from being a flopper though as to me its just more trouble than its worth. Much more straight forward on my short game now and so far for me this have been a straight forward wedge. Looking forward to another go around today though.

Today I played with Kmac and had a great round but a mixed day with this wedge.

Full Shots
On full shots this was a gem today. Many times I got to swing it with a full shot I was on the green and 3/4 I was within 10 ft. It's a real point and shoot wedge and the weight helps you find your target line in the practice swings. It's a nice wedge with a nice hefty feel and some solid sound.

Half Shots & Pitches
Half shots and knockdowns I have struggled immensely with being able to leave myself short of the hole. Every time I am long. For whatever reason I can't get a shot to stay below the hole. I've blown over greens because the ball comes off the fact rather quickly. But I am coming around with it.

Chips and Flops
Here is one of the things that I am struggling with the most. My short game is built on a foundation of being able to push the limits of design and being able to manipulate the face as I see fit. This wedge is designed to be played square and straight up. You play the face square and choose wedges based on the height you need. This wouldn't bode well for people who like to play a 1 wedge system, but is good for people who play 1swing and choose wedges based on the scenario.

Bunkers
This club is a sure out, every time. Regardless of the scenario, this club will get you out on the very first shot.

******Notes

Interesting, I would actually go directly opposite of that. I've played this wedge almost exclusively (except for one mistake) since it's arrival and haven't had any issues opening it up to gain some height on shots. That goes to show how different we all play around the greens.

Thanks SW. I'll have to see if I have any at the house. I've been thinking about having another go round with the B330-RX though, so maybe this is a good excuse to get started!

Interesting about the leading edge. What was the difference? I'm finding that I do take some healthy divots with this wedge.

The 588 is more blunted then goes flush for lack of a better description. The RTX has a touch more edge then rounds off. It's not a huge difference but when you get so comfortable with one it isn't a quick adjustment to the other. I don't think I could play a combo set of the two, that would be a nightmare for me just based on what I've seen so far. One or the other and I would be fine, which is why I've stopped playing the 588 for this testing, if I could just remember to take them out of the bag lol.

I've seen this as well, it has actually surprised me several times. Its something I'm trying to wrap my mind around that I don't necessarily have to open it up like I used to do with previous wedges, not always.

I've gotten away from being a flopper though as to me its just more trouble than its worth. Much more straight forward on my short game now and so far for me this have been a straight forward wedge. Looking forward to another go around today though.

Yeah, I used to open up my J40 all the time for pitches. I use the flop very sparingly these days and only when a bad one will be no worse than the alternative. I usually hit a few during my pre-round practice (if I get any) just because.

******Notes

Did not notice the blading comment when using Danny's wedge on Saturday. I should get mine next week via golfsmith so I'll double check then.

Grabbed my short game bible today to brush up on my setup. I was pretty far out of wack, especially on pitch shots. Made some adjustments and practiced a bit. Was able to open the face up a little too. Hope it will translate to the course. I definitely feel more confident now though so that can't hurt.

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

Remember Danny, your ground hasn't hardened for the season like ours has. Plus NE turf is usually harder than southern anyways.

Regardless, I feel like my short game is pretty good and I've never bladed this many shots in my life.

Back