Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

this driver has me going hmmmm. If it really does have a larger face then I may just need this.

Great looking driver you have got there!

Sleek driver but not as nice as my ft-iq.

So today I spent some time on the range with this driver and this driver only. I warmed up by hitting about 20 balls with my PW and then it was only this driver. I had our VectorX launch monitor with me and was able to get some numbers on both Black Tie and Aldila shaft options and learned quite a bit from both shafts during this.

First off, the driver. The more I hit it, the more I really like what I am seeing, feeling and hearing. It offers great impact zone feel and gives you a look and performance that just makes you want to keep swinging.

The Black Tie was first up (although I did alternate shots on the range). What I found is that it was just too low spin and too low launch for me to get what I needed out of it. Have you ever wanted to know if shaft matters? How about that I hit the Black Tie 27 yards shorter in carry distance on average than the Aldila version with this. Now this was based on 14 balls with each shaft and eliminating the 2 highs and 2 lows so that I had 10 ball average with each. The launch I was seeing was in the neighborhood of 9 and the spin was averaging about 1600. Carry distances for the 10 balls were 226.8 off of my swing speed of 103.

Now switch that up to the Aldila and I am looking at 2985 spin and a launch of around 13.8 and my carry distance was averaging nearly 253 (252.9) on the 10 golf balls.

So after this range session it has me thinking more and more about this driver. I was wearing a jacket today and did not get a ton of work in before hand, so I am beginning to think that in normal conditions, I will take this out again and work on a true fitting for myself with multiple shafts, but right out of the box seeing that out of the Aldila has me pretty excited.

I shot some video today of the process and while the screen on the monitor does not come out all that well due to the sunlight, me and a few of the guys that were at the range had a good time with it and you could tell as one gentleman was calling out the numbers as they came up when I was hitting them. These guys had never thought much of a shaft difference outside R or S, so that was fun as well.

More to come soon. The video will be put up as soon as I can figure one thing out.

Great info JB, may I ask is this your favorite driver so far out of all the drivers you tested?

So today I spent some time on the range with this driver and this driver only. I warmed up by hitting about 20 balls with my PW and then it was only this driver. I had our VectorX launch monitor with me and was able to get some numbers on both Black Tie and Aldila shaft options and learned quite a bit from both shafts during this.

First off, the driver. The more I hit it, the more I really like what I am seeing, feeling and hearing. It offers great impact zone feel and gives you a look and performance that just makes you want to keep swinging.

The Black Tie was first up (although I did alternate shots on the range). What I found is that it was just too low spin and too low launch for me to get what I needed out of it. Have you ever wanted to know if shaft matters? How about that I hit the Black Tie 27 yards shorter in carry distance on average than the Aldila version with this. Now this was based on 14 balls with each shaft and eliminating the 2 highs and 2 lows so that I had 10 ball average with each. The launch I was seeing was in the neighborhood of 9 and the spin was averaging about 1600. Carry distances for the 10 balls were 226.8 off of my swing speed of 103.

Now switch that up to the Aldila and I am looking at 2985 spin and a launch of around 13.8 and my carry distance was averaging nearly 253 (252.9) on the 10 golf balls.

So after this range session it has me thinking more and more about this driver. I was wearing a jacket today and did not get a ton of work in before hand, so I am beginning to think that in normal conditions, I will take this out again and work on a true fitting for myself with multiple shafts, but right out of the box seeing that out of the Aldila has me pretty excited.

I shot some video today of the process and while the screen on the monitor does not come out all that well due to the sunlight, me and a few of the guys that were at the range had a good time with it and you could tell as one gentleman was calling out the numbers as they came up when I was hitting them. These guys had never thought much of a shaft difference outside R or S, so that was fun as well.

More to come soon. The video will be put up as soon as I can figure one thing out.

holy crap I guess shaft definitely do matter 27 yards difference is huge hopefully anybody that's ever consider doing a fitting but haven't done so yet can take a look at this as a prime example as to why you should

Great info JB, may I ask is this your favorite driver so far out of all the drivers you tested?

I dont think I can quantify that one right now. Last year during the Morgan Cup I played the current Cleveland Classic and it was fit for me and was one of the best drivers (still is) that I have ever played. As of right now, this driver is doing well and we will continue to review it accordingly.

holy crap I guess shaft definitely do matter 27 yards difference is huge hopefully anybody that's ever consider doing a fitting but haven't done so yet can take a look at this as a prime example as to why you should

Carry distance. On a range, I do not like to use total distance as a measurement since roll is so different depending on certain factors.

WOW, 27 yards carry difference...that is HUGE! That is some ridiculously low spin numbers with the Black Tie...so with a low launch, and no spin the ball was starting low and never really climbing.

The numbers on that Aldila shaft were pretty dang close to optimum for you aren't they?

Cant wait to see the video and hear more about this driver....very intrigued

WOW, 27 yards carry difference...that is HUGE! That is some ridiculously low spin numbers with the Black Tie...so with a low launch, and no spin the ball was starting low and never really climbing.

The numbers on that Aldila shaft were pretty dang close to optimum for you aren't they?

Cant wait to see the video and hear more about this driver....very intrigued

They were close TBT. I would want more time with it in ideal situations to continue towards a fitting.

Amazing difference in distance with the two shafts. The numbers with the Black Tie were (obviously) incredibly low. That is the stiff, low flight stock option, correct?

What has the shot dispersion looked like so far with the driver -- is it pretty consistent?

Those results just reinforce one of the biggest pieces of information an average golfer (non-THP reader) needs to know but may not...it is SO important to get fit to a shaft proper for your swing and numbers. That Black Tie sounds stout!!

As you are spending more time with the Aldila Trinity, any thoughts on what other shafts you've hit that it is comparable to launch and stiffness-wise (particularly since there is so little published spec information out there)?

Amazing difference in distance with the two shafts. The numbers with the Black Tie were (obviously) incredibly low. That is the stiff, low flight stock option, correct?

What has the shot dispersion looked like so far with the driver -- is it pretty consistent?

It was just one of those things that felt like I could never get the shaft to load and unload or something thereabout. It reminded me of the steel shafted drivers I grew up playing. STOUT. Just low missiles that were straight which was great, but did not carry like I prefer.

So far shot dispersion is quite good.

Those results just reinforce one of the biggest pieces of information an average golfer (non-THP reader) needs to know but may not...it is SO important to get fit to a shaft proper for your swing and numbers. That Black Tie sounds stout!!

As you are spending more time with the Aldila Trinity, any thoughts on what other shafts you've hit that it is comparable to launch and stiffness-wise (particularly since there is so little published spec information out there)?

I can't yet AD. Next time out I am going to bring a handful of shafts I really like with me all tipped with the RAZR adapter and go to down and get some of those comparisons for you.

I can't yet AD. Next time out I am going to bring a handful of shafts I really like with me all tipped with the RAZR adapter and go to down and get some of those comparisons for you.

If you get a chance since the tips are identical, could you also compare the new head to the original Razr Fit head with the same shaft on the monitors? Would be real interesting to see the difference between the heads.

If you get a chance since the tips are identical, could you also compare the new head to the original Razr Fit head with the same shaft on the monitors? Would be real interesting to see the difference between the heads.

Did that one today buddy. I will have some interesting info on that very soon.

Did that one today buddy. I will have some interesting info on that very soon.

Very cool...this thing has me so intrigued.

That is very interesting to see the difference in launch between the two shafts. Let me ask - would you consider say going up to 12* loft driver head and using the Black Tie? Would this get you high launch lower spin than the Aldila, with even more increased distance. And the added benefit of 12* being easier to hit? Just curious.

That is very interesting to see the difference in launch between the two shafts. Let me ask - would you consider say going up to 12* loft driver head and using the Black Tie? Would this get you high launch lower spin than the Aldila, with even more increased distance. And the added benefit of 12* being easier to hit? Just curious.

No. While I am all for more loft on a driver, that spin is far too low for my comfort zone. I am also of the belief that one should use a shaft that is the most flex the swing can handle. It was the way I was taught for precise fitting and will always go towards that in my own fitting.

Wow. ~30 yards difference in carry distance. I wouldn't have expected that. Great comparison.

No. While I am all for more loft on a driver, that spin is far too low for my comfort zone. I am also of the belief that one should use a shaft that is the most flex the swing can handle. It was the way I was taught for precise fitting and will always go towards that in my own fitting.

Thanks JB. I was under the impression that say going from 9* to 12* head would in and of itself add about 900 RPM backspin. So I was thinking you would be in the 12 - 13* launch range at 2500 RPM. But if the shaft is not easy/fun to swing, then no reason even pursuing (although I would be interested in seeing the numbers if you were able to experiment).

Thanks JB. I was under the impression that say going from 9* to 12* head would in and of itself add about 900 RPM backspin. So I was thinking you would be in the 12 - 13* launch range at 2500 RPM. But if the shaft is not easy/fun to swing, then no reason even pursuing (although I would be interested in seeing the numbers if you were able to experiment).

Depending on the person swinging it, it could would add a definite amount of spin, however for my game, I still would prefer being closer to that 2900 mark for myself. However in my opinion, there is more to shaft stiffness than just creating/reducing spin, one must be able to use the shaft to its full potential. Otherwise, every golfer would play as stiff as possible with as much loft as possible.

Thanks for the data, certainly enlightening. I'm not surprised by the Black Tie, that's a seriously stout shaft. The Trinity is downright impressive though.

You have a Blue with a tip correct? Since you enjoy that shaft so much I think that'll be a tell tell test shaft.

That's some great info and I can't wait to read the rest of the data from today's test. 27 yards more carry with the Alidla is very impressive and goes to show people how important fittings are. I'm eager to see how the Extreme head compares to last year's Fit. I really can't wait to hit this driver. Thanks for the info.

I'm very excited about this driver. Kinda disappointed, though, that you have to go above 10.5* to get the 460 cc head. But, maybe that will turn out to be a good thing.

Depending on the person swinging it, it could would add a definite amount of spin, however for my game, I still would prefer being closer to that 2900 mark for myself. However in my opinion, there is more to shaft stiffness than just creating/reducing spin, one must be able to use the shaft to its full potential. Otherwise, every golfer would play as stiff as possible with as much loft as possible.

I see what you are saying. I recently had a Bridgestone ball fitting and saw some amazing discrepancies in numbers between two different driver head/shaft combos. This is what got me asking my questions of you earlier.

The beauty is that with this driver and options, I am going to be able to test some serious extremes (low loft, high spin shaft in various flexes and high loft, low spin shaft in various flexes). I have always liked Callaway drivers, and was impressed with the Razr Fit. I kind of liked the stock shaft, but it doesn't quite hold up enough to my more aggressive swings. I never pulled the trigger because I didn't want to spend the extra $200-$300 on an upgraded shaft. With the Fit Extreme, there is the possibility I can get fit nicely for the stock retail price, which is a bonus. I can't wait for this to be released in Jan.

Back