The Anchoring Ban

I don't know how I feel about this. I never could get past about three strokes with an anchored putter before I realized I didn't like it, so I can't speak to the fact that it is an advantage or not; it is not for me, anyway.
But, if they're out there, and available to everyone, is it really an advantage?

I agree with Thainer21 it is a spirt and tradition of the game thing for me. Putting is difficult and the anchoring makes it easier in my opinion.

This is the way I lean. The long putters are available for use. But not everyone can use them effectively, for some reason or another. But, on the flip side, say there's a driver that goes straight every time if you swing it right, but you don't have that swing...what then? The ones who are able to use them have an advantage.

In the end, I guess I'm just 50/50 on it and don't really care. I think it's a tradition thing they are trying to keep.

Will be interesting to see before and after putting stats for those that have to go back.

I think everyone seen this coming? Or at least you should have. Heck they been talking about it a long time.. I say,whatever.

I don't mind the rule change personally, however waiting years before making a decision is embarrasing and makes little to no sense.

Putting is the hardest skill to master in the game and I think it should be kept as a skill and you should not be allowed to anchor. On saying that I still feel there are some grey areas and you are going to find players manufacturing new ways to hold the club and they will then need to re-think the rules so i'd have made it simple and said the club can only touch your hands whether its the classic grip or the claw but none of this Kuchar style or pinning your elbows to your body. If your going to make a rule then make it straight forward with no if's but's or maybe's as you'll confuse everyone.

Just dumb. But whatever. Hopefully I don't get a bad back when I get older. I'd hate to be limited on my putter options during competition in my retirement years. Oh well, until then, I use a normal sized putter.

That was a great graphic explaining what's acceptable under the new rule and what's not. I forgot though, does Els anchor his belly putter, or does he still keep it off his body?

The worst part of this is that now that the idiots have banned this 'concept,' what are they going to ban next? I don't think they could justify their jobs unless they were after some product or some golf method to ban. Better start stocking up on golf balls.

~Rock

I never saw any issue with anchoring. This was something the PGA and other professional tours should have addressed, not the USGA and R&A.

Yep. Chamblee is making a great point about amateur vs professional sport and that the divide should be there in golf. It's going to hurt the game recreationally.

So can I design a pivot point into the bill of my cap and have the putter swing from there? Or is my hat considered part of my body?

Yep. Chamblee is making a great point about amateur vs professional sport and that the divide should be there in golf. It's going to hurt the game recreationally.
I agree with this to a point... However how many guys that play once a week give a crap about what the PGA rules say about putting or anything else for that matter??

Too late. I had already put a ban on mine yesterday for non performance type activity. It will be on the disabled list indefinitely. My old standby putter, Voodoo Daddy, is back in the bag ready for action at 11:30 a.m. this morning.

I agree with this to a point... However how many guys that play once a week give a crap about what the PGA rules say about putting or anything else for that matter??

But they do with every other rule that's enforced, i think you'll see nearly everybody change because they will be self-conscious about what their playing partners will think "they are cheating"

Agreed. To all those thinking saying that this will drive people away from the game, I don't see it. Those that will leave the game are the ones that refuse to change back to a short putter and follow the rules very strictly while playing (hardcore amateurs). Otherwise, I don't see people caring.

I'm sure using a foot wedge or dropping your ball at the entry point of an o.b. stake is a MUCH bigger happening, but those people are still widely playing the game.

No he isnt. There is NO divide between Amateur and Professional in golf.

So can Amateurs win majors with belly putters? What now?

Agreed. To all those thinking saying that this will drive people away from the game, I don't see it. Those that will leave the game are the ones that refuse to change back to a short putter and follow the rules very strictly while playing (hardcore amateurs). Otherwise, I don't see people caring.

I'm sure using a foot wedge or dropping your ball at the entry point of an o.b. stake is a MUCH bigger happening, but those people are still widely playing the game.
Exactly! Do you think the guy that uses the foot wedge 5 times a round really cares about anchoring his putter???

No he isnt. There is NO divide between Amateur and Professional in golf.

So can Amateurs win majors with belly putters? What now?

What he is saying is that there should be divide, like in every other sport.

The proposed rule change is heading into effect in 2016.

http://bit.ly/UbLPDo

I just don't get it. There are so many more components to putting that make the entire stroke. Things like focus, judging ball speed, ability to read the green, aiming, GETTING TO THE GREEN and etc. I just don't agree the putter itself doesn't make the game easier. How does something that counts as such a small part of a making a shot be considered a violation? I agree with what someone said before about scaling back the driver. Had there not been as many majors won this year with the belly putter i'm sure this would not be considered a problem. Too many whiny professionals out there who feel they should be winners. It takes a whole lot more of the golf game besides a belly putter to win a tournament.

I think if people leave the game because of this they probably should, It's a game of adversity and integrity. If you hit a bad shot you shake it off and hit again trying to overcome the poor shot you just hit, it's not for the weak minded or the timid. Just grab a new style of putting, or try some new putters and find something that works. Life's constantly changing, there's no need to quit it. If I'm a marketing guy I'm licking my chops right now.

What he is saying is that there should be divide, like in every other sport.

This! Less than 1% off all golfers got upset they were beat by something by something they didn't use. So the remaining 99% has to suffer. It's bullshat in my opinion. I am going to find a way to anchor a driver effectively. Just to stick it to those crybabies.

So...is Marius Filmalter's coreputting now banned? Because you effectively anchor the elbows to your sides and rotate.

I am not personally sold on whether this particular rule should be applied to only the PGA tour. While I agree that some things (like lateral drops instead of OB) should be more lax for amateurs, I don't see this as being one of them.

If they are going to limit the use of the belly putter, I'm glad they finally did so. The biggest problem for me with this entire process, is simply how long it took for them to decide that these should be banned in some fashion. It's not like people just started doing it.

And what Im saying is that there cant be. Amateurs play in professional golf events.

Sure there can be. To play in a professional event, you must abide by rules of professional play.

And what Im saying is that there cant be. Amateurs play in professional golf events.

Then they get to play by the professional's rules. I've said it often. Let the PGA Tour decide what they want the pros to use. Don't rely on the USGA to do the heavy lifting.

Odyssey's statement on the ruling.

Regarding the USGA and R&A proposal today, Odyssey has long held the belief that confidence with the putter is good for the game, particularly regarding player retention and growth potential. But one of the beauties of putting is that there are so many ways to do it.

Notwithstanding the final ruling in 2013, it is Odyssey's pledge to ensure golfers have the same level of confidence when they line up a putt with one of our products – regardless of the putting technique. We have anticipated this proposal for some time now and have been busy exploring several alternative options.

It should be noted that Odyssey will continue to offer belly and long putters in the short term for golfers who want to continue using them recreationally.

We'd like golfers everywhere to know that Odyssey has an optimistic approach to the proposal regardless of the outcome. As the #1 Putter in Golf, we have more tour players around the world playing and winning with Odyssey putters than any other company, and we will continue to work with those players to innovate new products and new, alternative methods to putt at the highest level.

Back