Shaft advice for new club.

diddums

Reaction score
Handicap
In getting a TM R1 for Christmas and I'm not sure what kind of shaft to get. I asked the guy in the shop and he said that unless I'm using a 7 or higher at the 150yard mark then I only need reg flex. I haven't learnt my club distances again yet but my last game I was hitting a PW about 110-115 with a clean hit.
What kind of shaft do you think I should get. I don't wanna get the wrong one and then end up spending more $ later.
Thanks.

Almost impossible to tell without basic numbers like swing speed, etc.
Here is a question for you. Based on other posts, you said you were struggling with your golf game.
Have you thought about getting some instruction before buying the new driver? The reason I ask is while I think people should buy anything they want, if you are working on improvement, your swing could change drastically and thus need something different.

Yeah defiantly need to go to and get your numbers on your swing. Once you get that you will be in good shape. Some places if you buy a new driver from them they will give you a fitting for free or a discount. But some good advice as I have gotten is spend money on lessons and not on your clubs. Yes new clubs can help some but lessons will help big time.
In getting a TM R1 for Christmas and I'm not sure what kind of shaft to get. I asked the guy in the shop and he said that unless I'm using a 7 or higher at the 150yard mark then I only need reg flex. I haven't learnt my club distances again yet but my last game I was hitting a PW about 110-115 with a clean hit.
What kind of shaft do you think I should get. I don't wanna get the wrong one and then end up spending more $ later.
Thanks.

Welcome to THP.

The guy in the shop is trying to approximate your swing speed by determining the distances you hit certain irons. That is not an uncommon approach but I'd say it is incomplete, especially considering the technologies available to us these days.

As JB says, you may want to consider working on your swing between now and then and making the purchase decision based on your more refined swing. And when you get to that point I'd want the guy at the shop to do a fitting, watching me hit the driver and evaluating the numbers before deciding on the shaft.

+1 on what JB said. Buy the clubs used and spend the rest on lessons and green fees. I hated this game until someone taught me how to play it.

I agree that lessons are always a good idea/suggestion to help a struggling golf game and as for the R1, I strongly recommend getting fitted. The R1 is the only club in my bag that is stiff flex and I was fitted into it, so I wouldn't put much weight behind the guy telling you regular flex based on your 7i distance. And a fitter gives you the best chance of finding the correct shaft for you.

Thanks for the replies.
I've wanted to get some lessons for a while and I think I will. Cause I really enjoy this game and I want to be able to play consistently.

And as for getting fitted there is a big golf store not far away that has the hitting nets, I'll go there and see what they say. Only thing is they charge more for the clubs.

Any reason that you've decided on the R1?

Um, cause it looks cool.

Lol, just joking. I'm a bit of a TM fan for some reason. And I do like the tech and idea behind the club and figured that as I'm still learning, it can be adjusted to suit me better. Rather than buying a club to find that later down the track it's not really suited anymore.
If that makes sense or I'm just been stupid.

I'd look at some others. I liked the R1 quite a bit and played it for a chunk of the season, but I don't think it's for everybody. The tech is helpful, but I think you can find something that works in terms of adjustments elsewhere as well. Not to say it might not be the right one, but don't pigeon hole yourself man. Get out there and hit some drivers! No use wasting a good Christmas present on something that may or may not fit you.

As for buying to 'grow into it', I don't believe in that. Either find what works for you now and rock it, or save the money and find something that works for you later.

Hi, I would not recommend a big box store. Find a good Pro that will do both, instruct and fit. You will find, that as your game and your swing improves, the need of your golf equipment will also change. Different stroke for different folks, and different clubs for different strokes.

Um, cause it looks cool.

Lol, just joking. I'm a bit of a TM fan for some reason. And I do like the tech and idea behind the club and figured that as I'm still learning, it can be adjusted to suit me better. Rather than buying a club to find that later down the track it's not really suited anymore.
If that makes sense or I'm just been stupid.

I'd go get fitted if I was you. I tried every driver made over the past 2 years and based on stock shaft options the cobra amp cell was the best as far as numbers. I wanted the callaway opti-force sooooo bad but I just couldn't hit it well. I even took them both out to the course and the cobra was just it.

Well I've booked a lesson, the first of many, with the coach at my local range. And he can check my current set up and I think in the near future I'll go to a TM demo day if I can't get my hands on one with the coach.

Back