Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Not sure what I'm heading to in 2013 if anything. I know either my current irons LOFTS will have to be bent up a couple notches or I'll have to hit the gym.

FIFY

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So two more rounds in the books for me & the 120s. I'm still struggling with consistent contact though. Starting to wonder if such a drastic change was a good idea. Found my fitting sheet from my old irons (CG16s) and it said that I was 3˚ up and plus one inch. The new i20s are .75 down and plus a half inch. Doesn't seem like much but I can't seem to find the groove with these. I'm thinking of having them bent upright a touch to at least standard...

Well struck shots with these are ridiculously sweet. I'm also finding a fair amount of forgiveness in my mis hits as well, which is a good thing!

It's 18 dollars for the adjustment (8 clubs) plus shipping to and fro. I didn't ask regarding turn around. Hope it isn't more than a couple days else I'll be playing backup irons at True Blue.

Nice! I thought it was $18 per club and I was uber-bummed! When I am swinging my best I have a hard time not hooking these. Was flag hunting on a par-3 last Friday to the right side of the green position and it was looking great with a line headed right at it...and then hooked and managed to completely miss the green to the left. *rage*

anyone got a set of these they're looking to get rid of? preferably green dot?

So two more rounds in the books for me & the 120s. I'm still struggling with consistent contact though. Starting to wonder if such a drastic change was a good idea. Found my fitting sheet from my old irons (CG16s) and it said that I was 3˚ up and plus one inch. The new i20s are .75 down and plus a half inch. Doesn't seem like much but I can't seem to find the groove with these. I'm thinking of having them bent upright a touch to at least standard...

Well struck shots with these are ridiculously sweet. I'm also finding a fair amount of forgiveness in my mis hits as well, which is a good thing!

Only thing I can say is your divots do not lie. If your 3/4 down and showing toe dig than there's an issue. I was fit to +3* and my divots are even as they can be, before I had massive toe down divots.

Only thing I can say is your divots do not lie. If your 3/4 down and showing toe dig than there's an issue. I was fit to +3* and my divots are even as they can be, before I had massive toe down divots.

Yeah. I saw a few like that. Gonna go double check them this week.

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

Yeah. I saw a few like that. Gonna go double check them this week.

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

Divot's don't lie. I know I had some serious adjustment going from stock to my first fit set.

from 3 up to .75 flat is allot. I realize standard lie angles vary but that sounds like allot. Add 1 degree for 1/2 inch length and the gross difference is 4.75 degrees Any thought oh going back for a refit? Good luck

Got out for my second round this weekend with the new irons. Struggled mightily with everything, and threw up a score that immediately wanted to forget. :bulgy-eyes: Red dot is a big change from my old irons. These are also about a full inch shorter, so it's a work in progress. Well worth it if I can have more shots like the good ones I saw this weekend.

Why did you change the length & lie? Just curious if it was a swing plane change or something else to make this kind of adjustment to your equipment.

So two more rounds in the books for me & the 120s. I'm still struggling with consistent contact though. Starting to wonder if such a drastic change was a good idea.
Found my fitting sheet from my old irons (CG16s) and it said that I was 3˚ up and plus one inch. The new i20s are .75 down and plus a half inch.Doesn't seem like much but I can't seem to find the groove with these. I'm thinking of having them bent upright a touch to at least standard...

This ^^^^^^^ is a huge change.

from 3 up to .75 flat is allot. I realize standard lie angles vary but that sounds like allot. Add 1 degree for 1/2 inch length and the gross difference is 4.75 degrees Any thought oh going back for a refit? Good luck

This is what I was told about adding length to a club, that makes it more upright?

Thanks for the responses guys. My swing is pretty different from what it was when I was originally fitted. Swing plane is definitely less upright. I'm gonna go back this wednesday and have him double check everything.

Went back to get things checked out today and ended up getting a free lesson. After watching me swing, the fitter noticed I was making an over the top move, which resulted in me standing up and getting the club too vertical. No bueno. We worked on it a bit and he gave me some drills to work on. He said that at this point, he was extremely hesitant to bend anything. He wants me to groove the proper swing first and then if they still need adjusted, we'll take care of it. The main drill is a half swing where I exaggerate the club path from the inside. Nice because it's something I can practice at home. I went and hit some balls doing this after to try and engrain it. Went pretty well, but time will tell.

I really nailed a couple and boy did it feel nice to do that again. There's something different about these shafts that I'm having trouble putting my finger on. I like them, no doubt. Just different than the ones I played for the last couple of years.

I have an over the top move that I will work on forever but will never eliminate totally I'm sure. It is why I need more upright clubs. Good Luck, glad you are making progress

Yeah, I have changed as much as 4 degrees in some clubs when I made a major swing change. Always good to have an instructor who understands that this game is not a one style fits all and willing to work with you where you are today. I share this only out of my personal experience and not as something that will help everyone, but my biggest epiphany was with the impact bag work. Learning to clear the left side and not dump leverage has flattened out my swing and given me a much better compression on the ball. working the 9-3 going from impact bag to ball seemed to open my eyes to possibility of decent compression. As always, the issue now is taking it to the course and consistency... what a fun game!

I have a few rounds under my belt now and spent a lot of time on the range with my new irons today.

I have to be honest and say I was a little worried as to how I would perform with these after playing big chunky SGI irons for so long. They were definitely different in the beginning but I'm feeling so confident with them now. I had a lesson on Friday and my instructor kept hitting them and talking about how he wants to get some of them. It was kind of funny that they were getting so much attention even though I only have four of them right now.

I'm still trying to figure out my yardages but I seem to be so much more accurate with these than my last clubs. I think having a fitting really helps in that respect. I actually opted to go with a ladies flex on these after playing senior flex for years. I could have gone either way but with all my health ailments the ladies flex just felt so much easier to hit. I asked my fitter if he had ever put ladies flex in these and he told me he had actually done that for a 16 year old player who also played a regular flex driver but just performed better with that flex in her irons. My driver and FWs are all regular flex and I do fine with those.

Looking forward to adding to my set, probably a 6i and a UW before long. :)

Got these irons out to the range today. Felt much better this time out. Feel like I'm really grooving the inside to out swing. Looking forward to gaming these in Myrtle next weekend!

Glad you are enjoying these Kelly!

Great news KB, keep hitting them well!

Well I finally jumped on the band wagon. Picked up a 4-UW, LW with KBS Tour shafts. So stoked, I just had to go for it. I won't use the LW, but I figure I'll just sell it to help pay for some Lamkins.

Well I finally jumped on the band wagon. Picked up a 4-UW, LW with KBS Tour shafts. So stoked, I just had to go for it. I won't use the LW, but I figure I'll just sell it to help pay for some Lamkins.

Dude, this makes me smile!

VERY nice pickup, and that could be a great combo for you. I can safely say after playing the Tours again in the Rocketbladez testing, I'm tempted to put a set into my i20's.

Dude, this makes me smile!

VERY nice pickup, and that could be a great combo for you. I can safely say after playing the Tours again in the Rocketbladez testing, I'm tempted to put a set into my i20's.

Dude, I loved the feel of yours. I will see how the Tours play and go from there, possibly put the old C-Tapers in later. The guy I bought them off is located a half hour from my work so I plan on picking them up tomorrow.

Dude, I loved the feel of yours. I will see how the Tours play and go from there, possibly put the old C-Tapers in later. The guy I bought them off is located a half hour from my work so I plan on picking them up tomorrow.

Very cool, I can't wait to hear your thoughts after getting them on the course.

Very cool, I can't wait to hear your thoughts after getting them on the course.

Hopefully the rain tales off for a bit tomorrow that way I can get a monster full bag range session in!!

I have a few rounds under my belt now and spent a lot of time on the range with my new irons today.

I have to be honest and say I was a little worried as to how I would perform with these after playing big chunky SGI irons for so long. They were definitely different in the beginning but I'm feeling so confident with them now. I had a lesson on Friday and my instructor kept hitting them and talking about how he wants to get some of them. It was kind of funny that they were getting so much attention even though I only have four of them right now.

I'm still trying to figure out my yardages but I seem to be so much more accurate with these than my last clubs. I think having a fitting really helps in that respect. I actually opted to go with a ladies flex on these after playing senior flex for years. I could have gone either way but with all my health ailments the ladies flex just felt so much easier to hit. I asked my fitter if he had ever put ladies flex in these and he told me he had actually done that for a 16 year old player who also played a regular flex driver but just performed better with that flex in her irons. My driver and FWs are all regular flex and I do fine with those.

Congrats on the new sticks, KB. Good for you, hit'em straight!

woohooo! new sticks are always fun!

Back