Where to aim range finder?

Texas Hacker

Reaction score
Handicap
I am wondering when using a range finder to find how far from the pin you are
is it better to aim at the flag or as low down on the pin as you can or does it even
matter?

TH, I don' think it really matters a whole lot but it is easier to hit the flag with it than the pin itself atleast that is what I do!

I am wondering when using a range finder to find how far from the pin you are
is it better to aim at the flag or as low down on the pin as you can or does it even
matter?

I use the flag because it is easier to hit. Also, it's roughly at the same height as the rangefinder so it gives the most accurate reading.

I use the flag as it's an easier target. Many courses have reflectors on the top of flags as well to help

I have an older model that doesn't have Pinseeker on it. So I set it on SCAN, and aim at something beyond the greenn, and go back and forth at the pin, and when I get a lower number, I know that is the pin.

That is when I can't lock on the pin for whatever reason.

I aim for the flag, easiest to hit.

When I was younger I played with a guy who had a rangefinder. I thought you had to aim for the hole when you used it, and if you aimed for the flag you had to subtract yards from the reading because of some mathematical trigonometrical belief I had that was way wrong lol.

I always aim at the flag on the pin using my pin seeker technology on my bushnell. This gives me an accurate distance and depending on how I want the shot to play i'll pull a club or aim at a certain point. I also use my range finder to point at bunkers and other hazards, so I know what clubs not to
Aim

The pin seeker Technology really zeros the flag and my game Play has improved

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I always aim at the flag on the pin using my pin seeker technology on my bushnell. This gives me an accurate distance and depending on how I want the shot to play i'll pull a club or aim at a certain point. I also use my range finder to point at bunkers and other hazards, so I know what clubs not to
Aim

The pin seeker Technology really zeros the flag and my game Play has improved
I want to get a new model with Pinseeker on it. Only problem is that I bought a Bushnell and the thing won't die.

I always aim for the flag. I have a Bushnell 1600 Slope Edition and when I went to their website all their videos had the person aiming at the flag. So I figured if that's what they show on the website then it's probably the most accurate way to get a reading.

I want to get a new model with Pinseeker on it. Only problem is that I bought a Bushnell and the thing won't die.

Lol, well I hope you win the Z6 this month, that way you won't have to justify a few hundred bucks for a new one.

Those bushnells are so durable, heck my brother in law used a bunch of bushnell optics while he was in Iraq 3 times, if bushnell equipment can hold up
To the rough war conditions, yours won't be dying any time soon haha

Lol, well I hope you win the Z6 this month, that way you won't have to justify a few hundred bucks for a new one.

Those bushnells are so durable, heck my brother in law used a bunch of bushnell optics while he was in Iraq 3 times, if bushnell equipment can hold up
To the rough war conditions, yours won't be dying any time soon haha
It's about 12 or 13 years old! It doesn't use much battery power either. (9 volt)

It's about 12 or 13 years old! It doesn't use much battery power either. (9 volt)

Wow that's insane! Time to give it away to the thrift shop lol

I just bought a new Bushnell V2... I am really looking forward to putting it into play next week.

Wow that's insane! Time to give it away to the thrift shop lol
This is what it looks like, and the next picture gives you a good idea of how big it is:

BH201000R.jpg

1311_01.jpg

Wow smalls that's crazy. It looks like you're about to call in an air strike haha...does it have any pin seeking features?

I aim for the flag, easiest to hit.

When I was younger I played with a guy who had a rangefinder. I thought you had to aim for the hole when you used it, and if you aimed for the flag you had to subtract yards from the reading because of some mathematical trigonometrical belief I had that was way wrong lol.

Realize you're joking here but this comes up often enough that I think some folks actually believe it. For a 150yd level shot, you would have to lay on the ground and shoot a prism on top of a 21 foot tall flagstick before the error generated by "height of eye" would exceed the minimum tolerance of most laser range finders (0.1 yds).

Realize you're joking here but this comes up often enough that I think some folks actually believe it. For a 150yd level shot, you would have to lay on the ground and shoot a prism on top of a 21 foot tall flagstick before the error generated by "height of eye" would exceed the minimum tolerance of most laser range finders (0.1 yds).

Yeah, do you think slope edition range finders correct for that?

Wow smalls that's crazy. It looks like you're about to call in an air strike haha...does it have any pin seeking features?
Nope, I set it on SCAN, and aim beyond the pin and move it back and forth over the pin until the number drops. (I will aim it at the hill beyond the green, and get a reading of 174 yards, then move it back and forth a couple of times until the reading goes down to 158, or whatever, then I know I hit the flag.)

I don't always have to do that, usually I can get a good reading on the pin, but if it's windy, and the farther away it is, it's harder to hit the pin.

Nope, I set it on SCAN, and aim beyond the pin and move it back and forth over the pin until the number drops. (I will aim it at the hill beyond the green, and get a reading of 174 yards, then move it back and forth a couple of times until the reading goes down to 158, or whatever, then I know I hit the flag.)

I don't always have to do that, usually I can get a good reading on the pin, but if it's windy, and the farther away it is, it's harder to hit the pin.

Wow that's crazy, sell some of your old equipment you don't use and get a new one haha, if for some reason I get lucky
And win the Z6, I'll send you my tour V2

How are you going to win the Z6 when I am going to win it?

I always aim it at the trees in the back. Then take off 30 yards

I aim for the flag unless the course has prizms. They are awesome, locks on real quick.

I aim for the flag, but for some reason my rangefinder gets finicky some days, and has a better chance of picking up the pin itself..

Back