Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about some of the sweeping changes being made over the past year by Club Companies and it really got me wondering which is most improved.

The obvious quick answer for me was Callaway, with their incredible drive to be on the laptop and cell phone of every single golfer through social media, not to mention an awesome line of equipment they released between the X Hot line, Fit Xtreme, and now OptiForce. Buuuut then I got thinking..

TaylorMade seems to be on a consistent path of successful equipment, unleashing new drivers in the Stage 2, returning the black head roots with the second R1 release, as well as their latest (and my arguably greatest) SLDR driver.

Ping seems to remain on a very even keel. I don't see crazy competitive commercials, just a little bit of Bubba/Hunter/Westy talking about their new line. I'm eager to see how they rebound from what seemed like a very successful i20 release.

Nike has done a nice job moving forward in the club world, but I felt like the original Covert release wasn't terribly successful around me. The combination of the Kuro Kage was solid in S, but I found it pretty boardy in X, leaving my interest in the line pretty muted. I have seen a bit of their 2014 catalog and definitely see some great potential as they continue to prove themselves as a legitimate club building company.

Mizuno did not wow me this year. Iron releases that seem to offer much of the same as years past.

Titleist also didn't wow me. 913 released and I really didn't feel like much was improved over the 910. Obviously a great set of driver/woods/hybrid, but when spending that kind of money, you really need to make a valid change.

Adams continues to pump out new clubs, with the Super LS being one of the more impressive fairways I gamed this year. It seems like this year has been all about getting diverse with their club offerings, with the new double slotted Idea irons.

Cleveland brought out an entirely customizable set of forgiving irons between the TT/MT/Altitude irons, a new look Classic, and arguably some of the best fairway woods and hybrids on the market. Then of course, you can look at Rotex and their latest smart square putter offering, soon to be released..

But then I thought about Cobra. I think back to late 2012 THP events, seeing the Amp Cell driver being past around and shrugging, thinking to myself "it's just a Cobra." They had a certain element to them that made them less appealing, and they have successfully destroyed that barrier for me. Amp Cell pro irons, Amp Cell driver/woods/hybrids... They have leveled the playing field with a lineup of clubs that I wouldn't have any issues gaming. I dig that.

I didn't really intend to break down nearly every club company through my eyes, but enjoyed it. What do you guys think? Who is the most improved in your eyes this year?

Im fairly certain it has to be Cobra, and I think it started in 2012 and continued to 2013.

The Amp line was a hit, but what the improved upon themselves with the Amp Cell line has been staggering.

Im fairly certain it has to be Cobra, and I think it started in 2012 and continued to 2013.

The Amp line was a hit, but what the improved upon themselves with the Amp Cell line has been staggering.

As much as I love Callaway, I have to agree. I never liked anything Cobra put out and I tried alot of it. The Amp Cell line was an absolute home run.

Cool idea.

I thought Callaway really steped it up with their markiting this year. They have always produced great clubs but never had the marketing level of Taylormade. While I still game a white TM hybrid, the newer Callaway hybrids are finally starting to be something that I might put in my bag. Since my driver, 3w, and irons are all Cally, it be nice to finally have a matching hybrid.

Another vote for Cobra/Puma. They really stepped it up with the MyFly tech and the entire line was solid. Something for everyone plus they took personalization to a new level.

In terms of performance across the board, i don't know how anybody could compete with what Cobra did in 2013. Did the market it the best? THat is debatable. However, the performance of their entire line was incredible

I think its a toss up really. Callaway and Cobra, most improved is dependent on which way your looking at it. Callaway certainly has made a big splash this year with everything there done. From the tee to in the hole. Everything they've done has been a hit. The you look at cobra, they've made great strides, with the AmpCell lines, and the trusty rusty. But most improved? I'm going with Callaway.but I will be keeping an eye on both of these companies. They are definitely headed in the right direction with their equipment and the value you they place on the consumer.

I think the knee jerk answer here is Callaway, but even when struggling their market share was what many other companies would consider good IMO. BUT, I think its Cobra hands down, they've made pretty damn huge strides since the "changeover" from what many consider the "old man" King Cobra days.

If I am looking at just equipment wise I say Cobra. The MyFly and SmartPad designs were really good and the fact that they carried them from the driver down to the hybrids was really great. So innovation wise, I like what they did there. While their equipment was really good in 2012 as well, it just seemed better and more innovating this past year.

If I am looking at improvement as in image wise, it's Callaway. The way that have bombarded the social media and marketing aspect of the industry was truly a change. They had the products to back it up and the X Hot fairway really was a home run for them. For a company that once seemed stale, they now seem exciting.

A shout out to Cleveland for entering the adjustable driver market, that was a big change for them. Also Nike for once again changing their adapter. I do like the FlexLoft system and it will be interesting to see how long they go with this cavity back driver/wood lineup. PING for finally redesigning the G lineup of irons too.

This is a great topic for a thread. I thought about this for some time and for me, it's TaylorMade. This time last year, I would have had a difficult time buying, playing or even trying any of their clubs, but their line this year blew me away. The R1 is by far the best driver I have had and definitely the best purchase of equipment I have ever made. The RocketBladez and now the SpeedBlades are a vast improvement on their prior irons, although I know there are some out there that wish a new forged offering would happen. The Stage 2 woods and hybrids are a great upgrade and their new putter line is underhyped, although I'm really enjoying the feel of the one I am now gaming. Finally, the Lethal is the best ball they have put out to date.

I too was thinking Callaway because their equipment has been outstanding this year, but I really liked the Razr X line last season, so I don't see it as improved, just maintaining a high degree of craftsmanship.

Honorable mention goes to Cleveland. Their RTX wedges are terrific and will be in my bag a long time. The Custom XL upgraded nicely from the Classic last year and their iron line was one of the better improvements by far. I'd say the Altitudes are some of the best SGI clubs made, as the widest range of handicaps were able to put them in play with a lot of success. The woods and hybos are well regarded, I just can't comment on them because I have never tried them for some reason.

To me, Cobra hands down. Callaway was already on the uptick from the year before and don't get me wrong they had a great year. That being said, I felt like Cobra crushed it from where they had been and from the direction they were going. Really a huge huge turnaround.

I think it has to be Cobra. When I look at Callaway and TM what they have been able to do is almost to be expected, especially when you combine it with the marketing that goes along with it. Cobra, on the other hand, has re-invented itself with the latest lines. Puma has managed to inject a modern image and some newer technology into their offerings. I for one didn't think I would be gaming their equipment like I am now until I saw and tried it.

I like to see success in company's like Cobra and Cleveland. Too often one walks into a golf shop to look at or test equipment and are immediately pushed in the direction of one or two brands. While I have no issues with any brand or gaming their product if it produces results for me, I feel many miss out on equipment that could otherwise be better for their game.

Much as I like how Callaway has successfully found new avenues to get their name and products out there, and as great a product as TaylorMade has continued to produce with the SLDR and the SpeedBlade irons, Cobra gets my vote. The MyFly and SmartPad took a lot of the guessing out of adjustable drivers. It just goes up in loft...and that's it! So simple, yet also very well executed. Reintroducing Trusty Rusty wedges and improving on their design while producing an interesting look and style has been a huge hit for them, IMO.

The number of people (and I'm one of them) who have said, "If you told me a year ago I'd have a bag full of Cobra gear, or be hunting down the bay for Cobra gear, I would have said you were out of your mind!"

It's Callaway for me. I was becoming a really big TaylorMade guy and their X-Hot offerings this year really made me want to go out and buy their equipment. I still want to get my hands on some X-Hot irons.

I could easily understand Cobra/Puma, but I think the nod goes to Callaway. They have completely changed the game when it comes to marketing their products, and they have brought some really revolutionary products to the public this year. Comparing that to both where Callaway was a year ago and to what other manufacturers are currently doing, and the choice is pretty easy for Callaway.

Lots of interesting thoughts in here. I'm not sure I have a definitive answer to give or if there even is one.

I think Cobra has done a great job re-imaging themselves, but I think they've been very strong from a performance standpoint, especially in metalwoods and hybrids, going back far before the Puma buyout.

Much as I like how Callaway has successfully found new avenues to get their name and products out there, and as great a product as TaylorMade has continued to produce with the SLDR and the SpeedBlade irons, Cobra gets my vote. The MyFly and SmartPad took a lot of the guessing out of adjustable drivers. It just goes up in loft...and that's it! So simple, yet also very well executed. Reintroducing Trusty Rusty wedges and improving on their design while producing an interesting look and style has been a huge hit for them, IMO.

The number of people (and I'm one of them) who have said, "If you told me a year ago I'd have a bag full of Cobra gear, or be hunting down the bay for Cobra gear, I would have said you were out of your mind!"

That's what I tried to do as well... A lot of the other companies wouldn't have that shock value to me in saying that, but Cobra absolutely does.

Call be a bit biased but I have to say Cobra, it just seemed like every single product was hit out of the park, and it's not a knock from where they were, but it seems like they have come a long ways!

I had to go with Callaway, I had all but dismissed them from club consideration for the last 5 or 6 years as I felt they had fallen behind the leaders in each category. I think with the strides they made this year that Callaway is certainly back and all of their offerings should be seriously considered by anyone purchasing new clubs.

Bolded is exactly my feeling. Initially even after The Morgan Cup, I expected some of my other gear to work its way back into my bag. Check my signature to see how solid their lineup was.

As much as I too, am a Callaway guy...Cobra (equipment) has really stepped up to the plate. Callaway has too, but they are usually always, right there. Cobra, kind of out of the blue (for me) has found a way to come back to relevance. That's HUGE, since it's pretty much been a three way race for years, at least in my eyes, with Taylor Made, Callaway and Titleist. So as much as I don't want to push the Cobra button, I wouldn't be honest with myself if I didn't. That doesn't mean I'm going out and buying Cobra stuff, but the honest ANSWER in them.

If we are looking at strictly from 2012 line to 2013 line, it's obviously Callaway in my eyes. Aside for the marketing, they made some seriously awesome clubs. If you look at Cobra, they improved most in 2012 with the AMP line. They've just built on that with the AMP Cell. While the AMP Cell is a great line, it wasn't as much of a step forward as Callaway.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as many of the others. I thought that Callaway did a fantastic job this year, but in my opinion Cobra made a bigger move over all. Until this year I never would have considered Cobra clubs. Now I find myself really interested in several of their offerings. Even pondering picking up the Amp Cell 3/4 wood.

It was close for me between Cobra and Callaway, but with all the player outreach and social media efforts of Callaway, they really seem to be setting the foundation for a run back at number 1.

And from what I have seen about the Apex line, I am excited for 2014 as well.

Back