new shaft or new driver?

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I was speaking to my wife about getting fitted for a new driver shaft and said she would get it for me for X-mas. So here is my dilemma do I go get fit for a new shaft for my R9 or do I go get fit for a new driver and pitch in the extra scruples myself?

My other dilemma is do I go to golf galaxy or do I go to GolfTEC?

if there is a GolfTEC nearby, go there. but i'd say try out your luck with swapping shafts first, it's so easy to do it with the R9 so why not?

I was speaking to my wife about getting fitted for a new driver shaft and said she would get it for me for X-mas. So here is my dilemma do I go get fit for a new shaft for my R9 or do I go get fit for a new driver and pitch in the extra scruples myself?

My other dilemma is do I go to golf galaxy or do I go to GolfTEC?

or go r11s with the upgraded shaft from them that works too

I would go to Golftec and go for the driver. Then I would look for shafts to try that fit your swing profile on the bay.

I say go with a custom fit shaft. even if you got the stock shaft custom fit it would make a difference. unless you're wanting to upgrade your driver, save the scruples! as far as where to go, I would ask pricing for each place and go from there. no matter where you go the process is the same, but the pricing will differ.

I would go to Golftec and go for the driver. Then I would look for shafts to try that fit your swing profile on the bay.
Yep.. I would do the whole driver fitting If I was you.. I have this on my list of things to do in the spring. If you go this route let us know how it goes!!

What more do you want out of your driver? If you think you can get more out of this one, get a shaft fitting. If you want to start over, get a whole driver fitting. And go to GolfTEC. They don't care about selling you a product. Golf Galaxy will "fit" you for the most expensive one on the rack.

I would agree with the shaft fitting. IMO the shaft is the most important part to ensure it fits you swing. Not the head.

With shafts being close to the cost of a new driver in some cases, I would look at driver. R11s tp is a lot cheaper now and you can get a lot of great shafts if TM is your brand. Driver fitting will include shaft too.

Thanks for all the responses everybody, Please keep them coming.

What more do you want out of your driver? If you think you can get more out of this one, get a shaft fitting. If you want to start over, get a whole driver fitting. And go to GolfTEC. They don't care about selling you a product. Golf Galaxy will "fit" you for the most expensive one on the rack.

I want more consistency with my driver when I swing more than 75-80% with it, extra yardage would be nice but accuracy is what I'm looking for. That is were I am lost I don't know If I can get more out of it that's why I am looking at getting a fitting to see if it's possible.

I would say go with a driver and go to GolfTec...at GG, you may or may not get good fitter. The R9 while it's still a good driver, is several years old now and they have made massive improvements in forgiveness and distance since then

I would say go with a driver and go to GolfTec...at GG, you may or may not get good fitter. The R9 while it's still a good driver, is several years old now and they have made massive improvements in forgiveness and distance since then

I am personally unsure of this. While I don't doubt that tons of money and research has gone into the latest drivers I don't think a new driver will necessarily outperform an older one just because it has more technology in it.
I am of the opinion that the shaft is 80% of the battle . Once you have found the right shaft for your swing you can put it in almost any driver head and have success. Yes, some heads will launch lower with more spin, and some will launch higher with less spin but ultimately (IMO) no driver head will compensate for having the wrong shaft.

I want more consistency with my driver when I swing more than 75-80% with it, extra yardage would be nice but accuracy is what I'm looking for. That is were I am lost I don't know If I can get more out of it that's why I am looking at getting a fitting to see if it's possible.
Sounds like a perfect case for getting shaft fitted. Just remember no shaft or head can fix a swing flaw. Make sure you have a decent swing before getting fit.

I say go with a custom fit shaft. even if you got the stock shaft custom fit it would make a difference. unless you're wanting to upgrade your driver, save the scruples! as far as where to go, I would ask pricing for each place and go from there. no matter where you go the process is the same, but the pricing will differ.

I only agree with Giedz as he is a Man Utd fan and I am a season ticket holder. But seriously I would go and try a new shaft and a new driver because at the end of the day the numbers on the monitor will be the deciding factor of what you buy!

New driver. Why not got ALL THE WAY. Also, unless you are going to the Golf Galaxy by me, which I would trust, go to GolfTec.

I agree with the people here. Go for the driver fitting. Many of the shafts that may fit you could be almost as expensive as a new driver! And, many of the new drivers have great shafts as options. Some at no extra cost.

You have to look at it this way drivers have been maxed out on their c.o.r. effect for some time now. Meaning the spring like effect of the face is maxed out to usga linits so manufactures can only make new drivers go farther by making the clubs lighter and more adjustable so you hit the ball straighter which will give uou more distance. If you look at a driver like a car the head of the club is like the chassis of the car meaning that today since the c.o.r. Is maxed out its more more looks and aerodynamics. The shaft of the driver is the engine of the car and is what really makes the club perform. I would keep the r9 head and get custom fitted for an aftermarket shaft. You will have greater accuracy that will lead to greater distance. Others say choose a new driver but you need to know there is a huge difference in made for stock driver shafts and aftermarket shafts. The price is high but the results are worth it. And once your ready to upgrade your driver head just take your aftermarket shaft out of the r9 and have it installed in your new driver head.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

The R9 is kind of an older driver. For the same amount of money you might be able to just upgrade to a newer, better driver in the shaft you want instead of paying to have a new shaft put on your old driver head.
I hope that doesnt sound like Im putting the R9 down. Its a great driver. I used to have one. My point is why put money in old technology when you could probably upgrade to a better head for the same amount of money or less.

Back