Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... Sprint... Enjoy them... :D

Yeah, I hated Sprint. Luckily I wasn't stuck with them, as that was a company phone.

I've had T-Mobile since it was Voice Stream, in 1999. In fact for three years, my phone said Arial (that's who it was before Voice Stream!). It would only say Voice Stream when I was in Wichita, KS!

lolz, I've had tmobile for since 2008, and it was fine, but it sucks down here. The best service in my area is sprint hehe

Yeah... Sprint... Enjoy them... :D

Yeah, I hated Sprint. Luckily I wasn't stuck with them, as that was a company phone.

I've had T-Mobile since it was Voice Stream, in 1999. In fact for three years, my phone said Arial (that's who it was before Voice Stream!). It would only say Voice Stream when I was in Wichita, KS!

lolz, I've had tmobile for since 2008, and it was fine, but it sucks down here. The best service in my area is sprint hehe

I've never had luck off of Verizon. Spotty coverage in most areas and dropped calls, especially with Cincy Bell. Ugh!

When we drove from KC to the Bay Area to load up all of my wife's things in storage to bring them back here, we went two different routes going and coming back. At the time, she had Verizon,and I had T-Mobile and the Sprint phone from work. They all worked when the others didn't, and many times, none of them had a signal! So you just gotta go with what works best for you where you are most often! Hopefully it also works at your house as well!

When we drove from KC to the Bay Area to load up all of my wife's things in storage to bring them back here, we went two different routes going and coming back. At the time, she had Verizon,and I had T-Mobile and the Sprint phone from work. They all worked when the others didn't, and many times, none of them had a signal! So you just gotta go with what works best for you where you are most often! Hopefully it also works at your house as well!

hahah yeah I hope so to, my girlfriend has sprint and loves it most of the time, my brother worked for T mobile, Sprint and AT&T (Currently working there in Houston) and in my area, sprint was the best.

Man, nobody is pondering electronics with me here lately. It's almost like it is Christmas and nobody is buying anything because y'all all have kids or something!

As much as I would like to ponder about things, there are 2 problems at the moment

1. Time - spent last couple of weeks studying for 2 project management exams and in between all of that moved furniture from my house to my partners as we have moved in together

2. Money - or more precisely, lack of it.... :angry:

If I was to start pondering, I would be thinking about re-wiring the house and including networking etc, and as I have now got a room for my PC and PS3 I quite fancy a new amp and speakers to go in there to replace the old sound system that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Haven't decided whether to go with something cheap and cheerful, or whether to move the living room system (Onkyo 607 and Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers) into there and upgrade for the living room, although that would be the preferred option, it isn't the cheapest

Once networked I would then be wanting either a server set-up or a NAS for streaming around the house - not completely decided which way to go with that yet

As much as I would like to ponder about things, there are 2 problems at the moment

1. Time - spent last couple of weeks studying for 2 project management exams and in between all of that moved furniture from my house to my partners as we have moved in together

2. Money - or more precisely, lack of it.... :angry:

If I was to start pondering, I would be thinking about re-wiring the house and including networking etc, and as I have now got a room for my PC and PS3 I quite fancy a new amp and speakers to go in there to replace the old sound system that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Haven't decided whether to go with something cheap and cheerful, or whether to move the living room system (Onkyo 607 and Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers) into there and upgrade for the living room, although that would be the preferred option, it isn't the cheapest

Once networked I would then be wanting either a server set-up or a NAS for streaming around the house - not completely decided which way to go with that yet

That sounds awfully fancy...and expensive, bro. I wish I had a house so I could do fancy stuff like that!!!

That sounds awfully fancy...and expensive, bro. I wish I had a house so I could do fancy stuff like that!!!

As I worked in IT for a while, the networking isn't that fancy really, and seeing as the house will be re-wired, I will just get the electrician to run the network cables at the same time and I will terminate those myself. I did it in my old house and it is so much easier as it means that you can have a good wi-fi signal all over the house, it is just a messy job until you get it all decorated but it is worth it to get things how you want

The hardest bit is deciding how many cables you need to run and where to have the central location to bring them all back to - once that is done I can then decide where I want to put things, and that is going to be the most expensive bit if I decide to upgrade my existing kit

If I wanted to go fancy, I would be looking at installing programmable lighting systems and music that could follow you from room to room but you are talking quite a bit more expense for that, and we want a new kitchen

A house is nice, but they can cost you a lot of money.....

As I worked in IT for a while, the networking isn't that fancy really, and seeing as the house will be re-wired, I will just get the electrician to run the network cables at the same time and I will terminate those myself. I did it in my old house and it is so much easier as it means that you can have a good wi-fi signal all over the house, it is just a messy job until you get it all decorated but it is worth it to get things how you want

The hardest bit is deciding how many cables you need to run and where to have the central location to bring them all back to - once that is done I can then decide where I want to put things, and that is going to be the most expensive bit if I decide to upgrade my existing kit

If I wanted to go fancy, I would be looking at installing programmable lighting systems and music that could follow you from room to room but you are talking quite a bit more expense for that, and we want a new kitchen

A house is nice, but they can cost you a lot of money.....

Well I'm not an IT guy. Heck, I ain't even that smart. So doing anything that has to do with setting up a network would have me stumped. Give me a trauma patient that's less than 90 seconds away from losing an airway or hemorrhaging to death and I'm cool calm, and collected under pressure because I know that if there's any chance of survivability that ill make it happen. Give me wires and all the time in the world to make them work though and I'll panic and screw something up because I'm straight up clueless!!!

Well I'm not an IT guy. Heck, I ain't even that smart. So doing anything that has to do with setting up a network would have me stumped. Give me a trauma patient that's less than 90 seconds away from losing an airway or hemorrhaging to death and I'm cool calm, and collected under pressure because I know that if there's any chance of survivability that ill make it happen. Give me wires and all the time in the world to make them work though and I'll panic and screw something up because I'm straight up clueless!!!

And for that I respect you, as it is something that I couldn't do

So I am assuming you are in the medical profession - in some ways I am here as well as my job is the National Health Service, but the information side of it, not clinical

To be honest, just consider a network an electronic version of your patient nervous system sending signals around, and as for the wires, you get guides that tell you exactly to connect where, so don't knock yourself as it isn't that hard really because everything these days is colour coded (just don't tell IT I said so as they like to think of it as a black art that nobody else can do :wink:)

Im seriously pondering the Google Chrome laptop.

Switching to Ooma.

Switching to Ooma.
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

We have our home phone with Verizon FiOS, and we do not even have a phone hooked up in the house, nor do I know the number...

Switching to Ooma.

Does that assign you a number when you set that up? I remember looking in to MagicJack years ago before we just decided to ditch our home phone number. But this is a little more intriguing. Plus if I could link it up with Google Voice then it could be worth while for me sometime in the future.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

We have our home phone with Verizon FiOS, and we do not even have a phone hooked up in the house, nor do I know the number...

We did in FL and here its through our cable company. I have been researching this one for months and bought the device this morning on Amazon. It will be here tomorrow hopefully. The features are too good for free service (about $4 a month) and I am stoked. Saves approximately $400 per year on our home bill.

Call quality from everybody I talked to with the device is supposed to be very good and while you lay up front money for the device, the users say customer service is great and the company is really easy to work with. Plus seeing how fast they are expanding and growing is a good sign I think.

We did in FL and here its through our cable company. I have been researching this one for months and bought the device this morning on Amazon. It will be here tomorrow hopefully. The features are too good for free service (about $4 a month) and I am stoked. Saves approximately $400 per year on our home bill.

Call quality from everybody I talked to with the device is supposed to be very good and while you lay up front money for the device, the users say customer service is great and the company is really easy to work with. Plus seeing how fast they are expanding and growing is a good sign I think.
My 2 years service with FiOS is up, and I am about to switch up our plan. We got in on the $99 bundle for all three, but after a year things magically "changed."

May have to look in to this.

Does that assign you a number when you set that up? I remember looking in to MagicJack years ago before we just decided to ditch our home phone number. But this is a little more intriguing. Plus if I could link it up with Google Voice then it could be worth while for me sometime in the future.

They can assign you one, or you can keep your own in most instances for a one time setup fee of $40. MagicJack intrigued me, but the quality was lacking from what I heard on calls.

Ooma Premium for $10 a month offers Google Voice integration.

They can assign you one, or you can keep your own in most instances for a one time setup fee of $40. MagicJack intrigued me, but the quality was lacking from what I heard on calls.

Ooma Premium for $10 a month offers Google Voice integration.

the call quality of MJ was something that scared me away as well. I like the Google Voice integration because that works out great with our phones when it comes to voicemail and such. Looking forward to more on this once you get it all set up and running.

the call quality of MJ was something that scared me away as well. I like the Google Voice integration because that works out great with our phones when it comes to voicemail and such. Looking forward to more on this once you get it all set up and running.

Im pretty excited and even though we dropped $150 on the device, that is easily paid back with in half a year (based on our home phone bill) and going forward it should save us a fortune.

Just bought a Macbook Pro

Im pretty excited and even though we dropped $150 on the device, that is easily paid back with in half a year (based on our home phone bill) and going forward it should save us a fortune.

I usually have no problem paying more upfront if it's going to save in the long run.

I could have saved you money, I have one I am trying to get rid of.

Hey-oh!

Quick side note, what you looking to part with it for?

Hey-oh!

Quick side note, what you looking to part with it for?
Not sure, but Im not looking for a crazy high amount like some get resold for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back