Missing Putts - Why?

I feel like I have a good, repeatable stroke, but...

Definitely not perfect every time. I think mis-reads and human imperfection are the causes for me most of the time.

Mine is generally misreading the green (that includes speed control) and not having confidence.

Poor technique. I read greens just fine. But my awful stroke makes it hard for me to be successful. My poor putting is 90% operator error.

I would say the majority of mine would be misreads and not executing the proper stroke to put the ball on the correct line.

I have a tendency to not finish my stroke on shorter putts which results in a push. I think that is why I miss most of my putts, personally.

^^^This fits me pretty well. I have been fit and can't blame the equipment. I used the SeeMore triangulator the last couple of days and it showed my alignment is fairly good and the iPing app has helped me develop a repeatable stroke.

I actually think I read greens pretty well, though I do struggle with my speed. I leave more putts short, than I rush past the hole. I think the root of my putting issues stems from not having a repeatable putting stroke and not using putters that are right for me.

I've held a few demo days for SeeMore and two in particular stand out to me:

1. Clueless as far as their aim. Often, their aim has very little to do with where the ball goes, ie they can't start the ball on the line.
2. Can't read/gauge greens.

If you can't find the line and can't start the ball on the intended line...well, you'll have a hard time making putts.

Personally, I putt well within 8 feet but struggle on putts outside of that. The longer my stroke gets, the more of a pull-tendency I get.
I think that's me Pete. My aim is the biggest struggle for me. I love to try and read break into putts when half the time it's not as much as what I'm seeing (or wanting to see). My mind is telling me that it's impossible that a putt can be straight. It's something I continue to work on and need more work.

It's also a speed thing. I come from the Crenshaw school of thought of playing the break and letting the putt die into the hole using the break. I just can't seem to get myself onto the Tiger (and others now) of taking the break out of a putt and hitting it harder. Again, something I continue to work on.

Personally, when I start to struggle or miss putts it is because I get handsy and force the club face.

Speed for me. When I am having an off day putting, they can be short, long, and way too long sometimes. I attribute this to not enough time to practice.

Reading the green is my downfall, to me that's speed and line. Because of that the confidence is a little shaky.

I think that's me Pete. My aim is the biggest struggle for me. I love to try and read break into putts when half the time it's not as much as what I'm seeing (or wanting to see). My mind is telling me that it's impossible that a putt can be straight. It's something I continue to work on and need more work.

It's also a speed thing. I come from the Crenshaw school of thought of playing the break and letting the putt die into the hole using the break. I just can't seem to get myself onto the Tiger (and others now) of taking the break out of a putt and hitting it harder. Again, something I continue to work on.

No need to go all uber-aggressive on the putt. Taking the break out by hitting it harder or letting it die into the cup achieve the same thing: the hole gets smaller. There is such a thing as optimum delivery speed.

If you hit a super-aggressive putt you need to nail it center of the cup more or less, otherwise it'll lip out.

Misreads for me. I'm always burning the edge. Just a little off, but that's all it takes. The difference between a lip out or missing by a half inch is sooooo small at impact.

Lack of practice leading to lack of consistency. There are days when I can roll the ball pretty well, and days that I have no feel at all. I know that if I practiced more (like everything else), I could develop that tempo and consistency that would allow me to lag well, as well as putt within 10 feet.

My misses these days are due to speed and mis reads. All of my putts as of late look like they they should go in but my speed hasn't matched my line. I've gotten away from the aggressive lines I was using late in the summer.

simple, because they haven't been fit by SeeMore SPi

A repeatable putting stroke which concest of tempo & the stroke itself

Sent from my DROID X2

I look at the questions listed and actually break them into two categories
- I think PUTTER FITTING falls into one category and I would debate whether this impacts the result (controversial statement I know)

- The second category is PRACTICE(and I include playing as well) and it encompasses the other questions (listed below).
1.) Do they have a good repeatable stroke? 2.)Misreading greens? 3.)Poor technique overall? 4.)Poor alignment?

I think the overwhelming majority of us "Hackers" are missing putts because of the lack of repetition (whether it be practice or playing), pure and simple.
Regardless of the putter we use, with enough reps, anyone can learn how the putter reacts to our “unique” stroke, allowing for adjustments to make it work and get the ball in the hole.
These same reps, allow someone to become a better reader of a green, have a more repeatable stroke and create a better hand-eye coordination resulting in better speed awareness.
Practice makes perfect.

I'm a FIRM believer in putter fitting, so that is my obvious #1.

Also though, I think that variance/variables in the putting stroke plays a large role. For example, forward pressers, how can you ever KNOW that you forward press the EXACT same amount time and time again to put the same loft and there fore the same roll every single time? You can't, I don't care WHAT some might say. Its why most are either HOT or absolutely ice cold with no in between. Its why I adore the SPi method, it got me out of that and removed all of the variables other than the read and a shoulder rock. Thats it.

I would say for me it is a combination of poor tecnique and lack of confidence which leads to a hesitant stroke

Plus because it didn't go in the hole!

I feel that for me its two reasons. 1 is misreading greens and 2 is that we tend to buy putters that dont really fit. I recently had my 2 ball cut shorter to more suit me and my putting improved.

I think mine tend to come down to 3 things, misalignment, misreading, and not enough practice time.

Earlier in the fall I really worked on my putting stroke and really got it working well. I have since focused more on my full swing and have neglected the putter, which obviously hasn't helped my putting at all. I have a bad tendency to tilt my head left at address, leading to obvious alignment problems. In the past I was so inaccurate with the putter I didn't worry to much about getting the read exactly right, I just hoped I missed in the wrong direction. That has changed this year, and I'm now focusing more on my reads.

My putting stroke at times is long. I tend to pull at times because of it. Also, reading breaks is tough for me sometimes because I normally don't wear my glasses on the course.
Speed control is one thing I'm proud of. I worked that a lot.

My biggest problem was an ill fit putter and making bad contact my new putter should change that. To put my golfing days into one area that has plagued me is speed it is not rare to have an 8 foot comebacker.

I had a conversation this morning with someone speaking about putting in general and we talked about missing putts. Why do people miss putts.

Does their putter fit?
Do they have a good repeatable stroke?
Misreading greens?
Poor technique overall?
Poor alignment?
Do not practice?

We all miss putts, heck we miss a lot more than we should. So why do you miss them?

I think my biggest problem is poor alignment, lately i've been lining everything up to the right starting with the driver and all the way through to the putter.

For me, the alignment aid on whatever putter i'm using makes a huge difference. I find that I need a strong aid just in order to see the intended path of the ball properly. Blade putters with a half inch long slot for alignment just don't work for me. I've settled on a 2-ball putter and there' something about the two ball alignment aid along with the actual ball that makes me hit my intended path much more often. So I'd say a properly fitted putter and one that works with your swing mechanics and vision is the first key.

The second thing I've done recently is to change my putting grip based on books by Stan Utley. That has caused me to not push/pull putts and to have much better distance control. Putts that don't go in are 99.9% short or long, left or right of the cup. Changing my grip so that my hands are more even and my forearms more parallel so that one hand/arm doesn't become dominant has really caused me to be much more accurate.

Now that I have a putter that works for me and have a grip that gives me some confidence, I can FOCUS better and put a better roll on the ball. That's sort of a chicken and egg discussion as to which one comes first. But I do know that confidence leads to better focus and better focus leads to more confidence. But the third issue with missing putts is lack of focus and lack of "being in the moment".

Back