practice with purpose?

Practice needs purpose, otherwise you just go beat balls and wear yourself out. I learned about how to be effective at GolfTec. There were practice sessions there where I hit maybe 20 balls and times I hit many more, depending on what I was learning.

I just remember to hit balls at the range like I am being paid by the hour. No rush. No hurry. Never hit more than 3 shots with the same club unless I have problems with control with something.

I know, back in high school that I didn't "practice with a purpose" until my Dad pretty much made my brother and I do this. Back then, I didn't like it at all...working on my short game for an hour before I got to actually PLAY on the course. I often wonder how much better I would have been had I been more focused on listening to my Dad's advice and working harder...like he said. I didn't really start to see this, until I was playing in college, but even THEN I don't think it still hit me like it does today.
Now, when I want to reignite my game, I work on my short game (130 and in) just as much as I do hitting balls on the range. When I'm "off" I'm losing most of my strokes in that range. I can usually keep myself out of trouble off the tee with start decisions and course management, but I get most of my birdies and eagles when my short game is on, same with most of us I would guess.

Don't let dad read this...you'll never hear the end of it.

Back