What makes an iron a blade?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
What exactly makes a blade a blade? Can a blade have any amount of a cavity back to it?
To me, a blade is an iron with a smaller head and a thin sole and topline. To me, a blade can still have a slight cavity to it.
To me at least, it seems like a lot of people confuse the term blade and muscleback.
Discuss...

A blade is a muscleback iron. Any small cavity and it's not a blade.

Blade=knife. Knives don't have cavities.

This!

A muscleback iron is a blade. It is a description of a club just like a hybrid, or wedge.
Once any type of perimeter weighting creates a cavity, no matter how small, it is no longer considered a blade or muscleback.

Blade=knife. Knives don't have cavities.
That is what I thought too. I have always considered a muscleback a blade.

This!

A muscleback iron is a blade. It is a description of a club just like a hybrid, or wedge.
Once any type of perimeter weighting creates a cavity, no matter how small, it is no longer considered a blade or muscleback.

So is a S3 Pro MB not a blade? It has the small cavity's?

s3-pro-mb-iron-1.jpg

s3-pro-cb-iron-1_ksthumb.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. Good to know.

It can cut you, thats what makes it a blade hehe

Right, but as far as the MB club, it has the small cavity's, so is it a MB?

I think people use the term "Blade" with to describe an iron that is difficult to hit, and thats where the confusion for yourself lies.

Blade is just a design term. Like Coupe or Sedan or Convertible for cars.

Right, but as far as the MB club, it has the small cavity's, so is it a MB?

They are not really cavities IMO. Cavities to me, and probably many others, involves perimeter weighting. Perimeter around the entire clubface. Not just toe/heel hits.

Blade= no perimeter weighting.

Thanks thainer

I agree and was thinking the same thing. A blade is a iron you will never see in my bag! Been there, done that.

This!

Exactly. Thank you.

i hit a taylormade rac(i think) 3 iron the other day and at address i was thinking "i might actually miss this" :rotfl: thankfully i hit it.

They are not really cavities IMO. Cavities to me, and probably many others, involves perimeter weighting. Perimeter around the entire clubface. Not just toe/heel hits.
What about some irons in Mizuno's MP line that have a slight bit of a cavity? Perhaps something like an MP-32, MP-52 or MP-53? Those have much of the weighting like a muscleback but still have a cavity and some perimiter weighting?
Or even my T-Zoid Pros. They have some perimiter weighting but still have the, "t-bar" in the middle of the clubface.

If it has perimeter weighting it is not considered a blade.

Back