T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

So its not the putter, its the putterer. lol

I love the 12" technique, its helped me a ton as a putter.

It seems silly to miss a five footer that hit perfect just because you can't aim.

Actually, I don't think it has anything at all to do with the putter. I set up to what I think is the right line, put a good stroke on it, the ball goes where I putted it. It just wasnt the right direction :devil: I'm going to work on picking a spot 12" ahead of the ball to aim at I think.

Do you use the alignment aide on the ball? Ever since I started pointing that aide down my intended target line, I have putted much better. I need to get better at reading greens and speed. But I usually always hit my line.

Do you use the alignment aide on the ball? Ever since I started pointing that aide down my intended target line, I have putted much better. I need to get better at reading greens and speed. But I usually always hit my line.

I have in the past, but I often spend too much effort analyzing if I have it aimed right.

I think I'll probably try ship this off to the next tester early next week so they can have it for the following weekend.

I have in the past, but I often spend too much effort analyzing if I have it aimed right.

I hear ya on that. I had and still have a hard time trusting my read when I'm over the ball. I try to force myself to read the putt from behind the ball and not pick my head up once I address the ball. That way I don't second guess myself as much.

So my first 9 holes holes with the putter yielded these results

Hole 1: 2 putt bogey from 10 feet, bad read. Left it 6" right with good speed.

Hole 2: 2 putt bogey after errant tee shot stuck behind a tree. ugh. Again good speed, bad read.

Hole 3: 2 putt par

Hole 4: 1 putt birdie. Par 3 put it 5 ft passed the flag. It was a tricky downhill putt, but dropped it dead center.

Hole 5: 2 putt again, good speed, bad read. (this is sounding like a theme)

Hole 6: 2 putt Dbl. Hit my second shot on this short par 5 as a fly flew right into my ear, I shanked it into the woods, lost the ball then hit another tree on my drop.:at-wits-end:

Hole 7: 2 putt. Par 3, hit green but 30 ft to the left. Again put ball about 6-8" just right of cup with almost perfect speed.

Hole 8: 1 putt for bogey. Tee shots were killing me today.

Hole 9: 2 putt par. FINALLY had a good drive and only 85 left to flag. Stuck a LW about 8 ft past the hole, just missed the birdie as again, good speed bad read.

So total for the round was
7 - 2putts
2 - 1putts

for a total of 16 puts. Not bad for me. Shot 42 cause my tee shots were just awful today with the the big clubs. But with the good speed I had going with this putter I left myself no chances for any 3 putts. Eventually some of those that just missed may fall in as well, either that or I learn how to read a green. LOL

This putter is quickly becoming a favorite in the bag. 3 full rounds coming up next week, so we'll see. If putting keeps up like this, I'm gonna be sad to send it on its way.

I agree that I'll be sad to see it go. Something about the weighting just works for me.

I agree that I'll be sad to see it go. Something about the weighting just works for me.

Why do I have a feeling that I will be looking for one of these after trying it?

And Hawk - about the alignment I know that NOTHING will fix a bad read but I really do like the alignment of the ball down the intended starting path matched with the alignment line on the putter. IF I make a good read almost every putt is hunting at the hole.

Practice green time this evening. It's a good green. Slight breaks, but nothing stupid. Plenty of room for lags. I'm sort of scared to let this putter go. I lag so freaking good with it. Hopefully I can translate my success to another putter of mine once I send it on. I think I'd like it with slightly larger grip.

Practice green time this evening. It's a good green. Slight breaks, but nothing stupid. Plenty of room for lags. I'm sort of scared to let this putter go. I lag so freaking good with it. Hopefully I can translate my success to another putter of mine once I send it on. I think I'd like it with slightly larger grip.

As to the grip, are you getting some yips or is it just a mental thing? One of my favorite putter grips is the Ping Man grip. Would you say the installed grip is similar to a Ping Man? My Backstryke has what would be considered a midsized grip I guess. Really realizing the benefits of a fatter grip the more I use the Backstryke.

As to the grip, are you getting some yips or is it just a mental thing? One of my favorite putter grips is the Ping Man grip. Would you say the installed grip is similar to a Ping Man? My Backstryke has what would be considered a midsized grip I guess. Really realizing the benefits of a fatter grip the more I use the Backstryke.

I wouldn't compare the Mills grips to a Pingman, much more rounded edges than the Pingman.

Hope that helps?

I wouldn't compare the Mills grips to a Pingman, much more rounded edges than the Pingman.

Hope that helps?

Yes it does and it could explain why the grip feels small.

Hey Hawk, just something to through out there and may not even be close. I've been fighting those silly little putts for the last two weeks, trying everything in the book. After missing several today I accidentally caught myself bit closer than normal to the ball and made the putt. Stayed with it and the results were just there. Never realized it, but had crept away from the ball too far during the SeeMore testing. Might be worth a try at least.

I am SO jonesing to get this thing in hand.

The grip is pretty rounded at the bottom. I usually use a pistol grip and this seems much skinnier in my hand. It's hard to argue with results though. I think it's just something I'm not used to as I'm putting pretty well with it.

Hope that helps?

Agreed.

I am SO jonesing to get this thing in hand.

You should be. It's an amazing putter!

So, I mentioned above that you can argue with results and I'm going to touch on that a bit.

During the three full rounds that I've played with this putter, I have had 31, 33, and 33 putts. Not impressive to some, but that's very impressive for me. I rarely dip below 36 putts per round and have been as high as 39 putts per round this year. I've actually been making some putts in the 10-20 foot range with the Huey and it seems that I could go five rounds without hitting anything longer than three feet this year.

Even more exciting for me is that my misses are very close. I'm burning edges and missing by inches quite a bit. I can't tell you how many putts I had this weekend that were right next to the hole. Bottom line is that the putter really puts the ball where I aim it. My problem is that I'm pretty bad at aiming and even worse at reading putts. My misses have been right where I aimed almost every time.

The speed control I have with the Huey just amazes me. I feel that it's vastly improved my lag putting, and that has been very refreshing.

So, I mentioned above that you can argue with results and I'm going to touch on that a bit.

During the three full rounds that I've played with this putter, I have had 31, 33, and 33 putts. Not impressive to some, but that's very impressive for me. I rarely dip below 36 putts per round and have been as high as 39 putts per round this year. I've actually been making some putts in the 10-20 foot range with the Huey and it seems that I could go five rounds without hitting anything longer than three feet this year.

Even more exciting for me is that my misses are very close. I'm burning edges and missing by inches quite a bit. I can't tell you how many putts I had this weekend that were right next to the hole. Bottom line is that the putter really puts the ball where I aim it. My problem is that I'm pretty bad at aiming and even worse at reading putts. My misses have been right where I aimed almost every time.

The speed control I have with the Huey just amazes me. I feel that it's vastly improved my lag putting, and that has been very refreshing.

Great stuff Hawk! I struggled with lag control up until recently so I know how frustrating that can be. Nothing worse than a birdie putt turning into a bogey!

Do you see yourself picking one of these up or asking for as a Christmas present or something? Or going to wait and see how it goes with your normal putter?

I know I am worried about the grip since I have been playing a Super Stroke for a few weeks and really enjoying it. Kinda scared about the skinny grip!

That's a tough question. I don't really have the money to buy something like this, but I'd buy it in a second if I did. I'd love it as a present and I may just ask for it :)

As for my normal putter, I'm very concerned about going back to it tbh.

Great stuff Hawk! I struggled with lag control up until recently so I know how frustrating that can be. Nothing worse than a birdie putt turning into a bogey!

Do you see yourself picking one of these up or asking for as a Christmas present or something? Or going to wait and see how it goes with your normal putter?
I know I am worried about the grip since I have been playing a Super Stroke for a few weeks and really enjoying it. Kinda scared about the skinny grip!

As for my normal putter, I'm very concerned about going back to it tbh.

You said it right there Hawk. I purchased a Ghost Spider about 2 weeks before this testing and now I am really unsure if I even want it anymore. Ugh. This putter is just full of awesomeness.

This weekend produced another fantastic round of putting for me. I was able to get a a full round it this time and a total of 30 putts!! Granted I had a fantastic putting day, but I am routinely making putts 8' and in where in the past it was pure luck if it fell. On the longer putts distance control has been outstanding. Even if i have a bad read (which is quite often in my case) I find myself leaving 2-4' for the two putt instead of completely leaving it short or blowing it by the hole. I can't explain it, I am not quite sure if this putter just inspires so much confidence I that I am putting so well OR if its because I have been practicing with this putter so much due to time constraints OR if the putter itself is just that damn good.

Heres my putting round...

First hole:(1) 6 footer after nice sand shot, pretty straight..drained it for par!

hole 2:(2) 15' birdie attempt. Big breaker left to right. Misread the break by about 3 inches and it went high. Tap in par.

hole 3:(2) 18' for par after poor tee shot. Uphill all the way, left it 4 ft short.

hole 4:(1) 7' birdie on par 3. Small breaker left edge, center drained!

hole 5:(2) 25' par attempt past the hole, but only about 4'.

hole 6:(2) 12' par attempt missed by a half a ball rotation. UGH.

hole 7:(3) 30' par attempt. Left first putt bout 6 ft short as I was scared to hit it too far. Downhill putts got me again as second putt was too quick. Only 3 putt of the round.

hole 8:(1) 4' par. straight downhill, might as well been a tap in. :)

hole 9:(1) 8' 2 balls outside right, slightly uphill. drained it!!

hole 10:(2) bad read left it a foot to the left. tap in 2 putt.

hole 11:(2) ugh another bad read. 20' double breaker, had good speed on it though and was able to save the 2 putt.

hole 12:(1) drained another 6' for par. Again pretty straight. If I don't have to read the green I'm in good shape. :)

hole 13:(2) 18' birdie attempt fell 1' left of hole, but speed was good again.

hole 14:(2) 10' uphill straight in. I pushed it right and a little to hard.

hole 15:(1) wedge shot left me 3' to hole, tricky downhill break even from this close. Just tapped it and it fell. :)

hole 16:(1) 8', thought I pulled it, but apparently it broke right. LOL got lucky here.

hole 17:(2) 25' again had good speed but misread it. Maybe a bit quick if anything, but at least I got it there. Was able to make the 6' back.

hole 18:(2) tried to close it out on a good note, but again a poor read left me a 3' on the way back.

This putter really shines on the distance control for me. Most putts if not completely misread have a real chance to go in and I believe it when standing over the ball. The ball rolls so true and straight off the face. It doesn't feel like it hangs on the face for a moment like some putters with inserts. I mean Sure if you push or pull or mis the sweetspot a bit your gonna be off, but it doesn't completely punish you for it. The other great thing is you know it, I can tell almost instantly if I hit it where i was aiming or if i missed it a bit.

Honestly I don't know what to do with this putter right now. I have a brand new ghost spider I haven't putted with in 2 weeks and I don't know whats going to happen when I go back to it, or if I even want it. I am playing again tomorrow 18 and another 27 holes on friday(league season ending outing)... I am debating on whether to send this along now so I don't get even more attached to it, or keep it for for those 2 rounds and enjoy it while it lasts.

I used the one Hawk was demo'ing yesterday and if I planned on playing anymore golf this year my order would be in already. Only thing I would change is probably 10-15g more weight in the head. This thing is amazing. A little firmer feel than my #9 but the center shaft helps keep my stroke clean.

Jrod was about to brain me and steal this thing haha.

Jrod was about to brain me and steal this thing haha.

Indeed, my speed control is perfect with this and the ball goes exactly where I aim it. Strange how that works.

I will admit i do have one gripe. Velcro headcovers suck. I'd just put a THP one on it anyways though.

Do you feel your improved putting results are due to the center shaft or some other aspect of it's design?

Do you feel your improved putting results are due to the center shaft or some other aspect of it's design?

I think the center shaft is ideal for my putting stroke when it comes to getting the ball on a straight line. I don't know why the distance control is so good for me.

I think its a combination of both. The center shaft putter just feels right to me. I hadn't even thought about trying one until about a month ago during my struggles with my old odyssey. The weighting seems perfect, the putter sits flat, doesn't seem to want to twist or turn and the ball gets rolling right away, it doesn't seem to hop like some others, and the looks are just amazing.

As I said in my comments above, I am beginning to fall in love with this putter and its gonna be hard to tell it goodbye. I don't know whats going to happen when I return to my spider. I've been putting so well these last 2 rounds I feel like all/any confidence gained will be lost yet again.

Indeed, my speed control is perfect

Great news. I was having big issues on speed for a while (always short). I got myself the gawdawfully ugly Heavy B3-M and it's been great, but that's because it weighs a ton. I took the weights out to try and ease my way back to a lighter putter, but that threw off the balance, since the shaft is weighted also. That's OK I have not one, but two, putters coming in the mail soon courtesy of the For Sale forums.

Back