St. Andrews - Your Opinion

Floppy

Reaction score
What is your opinion on the St. Andrews Course?

I know it has a lot of history and everything, but I honestly just think it is an UGLY course. Just a weather-beaten, sunbaked course. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

How about you? Because I know many people who love it, and many others who hate it.

The magic of the course is in it's history. I'd love to play there.

I think it's beautiful. It's not over fertilized and watered to the point that the green can be seen from space, but I like that, I think it only adds to the charm. The whole landscape is beautiful to me.

In 1997 I shot a 97 there, playing in just a terrible wind, and rain storm. My caddy told me I was above average for a "Yank Hacker". I even purposely put a ball in one of those dry wells they call a bunker just to see if I could get out of it. We were cold, wet and tired after the 4-1/2 hour round. 45 minutes later we were at some bar (Pub) drinking pints of something that tasted really good,.... with one of our caddies. I'd do it again in a heart beat :blob: :clapp:

I am right there with GB and Julie, it is the birthplace of golf- I would give certain parts of my anatomy to play there.

I would like to play there just for the history aspect, but I agree it's an ugly course.

I would love to play there as long as I didn't have to eat any haggis...

I never played the Old Course but would like to some day, I only live an hour away and am spoiled for good and historic golf courses within 40 miles of my house. There are more pretty courses like Kingsbarns (played that last week...WOW) and Elie.

The thing about links courses is that they are made by wind, waves and sheep! The greenkeepers only enhance the natural shape of things on the courses now. So most wont be that pretty. Carnoustie for example you can't even see the sea.

I think St Andrews is a beautiful course. The history and the scenery alone make it a must-play for any serious golfer.

BTW Floppy, not sure if this is related to the British Open or not, but you do realize this years event is at Turnberry don't you?

I can see the attraction to St Andrews with the history, et al, but I also like the open style of the course. Certainly it looks a lot different than most of the parkland style courses in the US, but it has its own beauty. These "links" areas between the sea and the land are wild, rough places and like someone else said, are made by the weather and the exposure of the course to it. I like wild, unpredictable places.

I would like to play there just for the history aspect, but I agree it's an ugly course.

Exactly, I'd love to play there...but I just think its UGLY.

BTW Floppy, not sure if this is related to the British Open or not, but you do realize this years event is at Turnberry don't you?

Well, just hearing "British Open" makes me think of St. Andrews, so thats what triggered this.

From a purely ascetics aspect, no I don’t think it is the most beautiful place. But when you add the history it becomes beautiful. I hope to go there for my 40th birthday in a few years.

I think it is the most hallowed ground in golf and I hope one day to play there.

The "look" of the course is from it's natural environment, not every golf course has to be perfectly manicured, fertillized, and planted with perfect green grass to be beautiful.

Having played the old course many many times,i agree its not the best looking,its not even the best course in St Andrews (the jubilee) but its a very fair test of golf,the trouble is laid out in front of you,its not tricked up in any way,the rough isnt fertilised,add to that the history and you get a magical experience each time you play it. I will be playing it again in mid August.

I've been lucky to play there (actually proposed to my wife on the swilken bridge, and got married in the old course hotel), and it's amazing. All greats from jones - woods have played there, it's truly remarkable.

The town of St. Andrews is also a awesome. The nicest people i've met on vacation. my wife an i were posing for pictures after our wedding on the old course while people where playing (not in the way of course), and everyone who passed came over to shake our hands and offer congratulations. If i ever won the lottery, the first thing i would do is buy a 'flat' in st. andrews. my favorite place in the world.

for those who've been, or dream of going, I highly recommend the book "2 years in st. andrews" by george pepper. great read.

Did you know that as a resident of St Andrews you can play all the Links Trust courses every day including the Old Course for about 130 pounds a year. I'm thinking about moving there.

It's not the most flashy course but I love playing it on Links 2003. One of these days I might play it for real. I'd rather play Pebble first, if I get to choose!

Back