Is Titleist getting left behind?

no unfortunately not, they offer our college team to be part of their v.i.p program so we can get clubs for a fraction of the cost. Hence why my bag is filled with Callaway. But I have put the pro v1x back into play over the hex black and now that my v.i.p membership is ended I will be switching back to Titleist at the beginning of next golf season.

Strange. I'd be willing to pay full price for anything that was that much better. Unless I am being paid substantial amounts of money to use something I would absolutely be playing the best equipment I could regardless of price. Especially at the college level.

4 to 1 stat comes from the 20 some odd college tournaments I've played in and the 4 amateur tournaments and 1 u.s. open qualifier I caddied in. Just so you know.

So its not really an actual statistic, but an observation. I'm here searching for the actual stat and should have it soon, but can tell you it is no where near Four to one for any brand. Not even close.

What does one have to do to be a "top notch" player? Scratch or better? I've heard guys complain about a couple brand balls (Nike comes to mind) as a staffer.. But it has never been proV1 or bust from the guys I know on staff contracts.

I firmly believe that bridgestone makes a superior and more dynamic ball over titleist right now. I guess playing to a 2-4 handicap doesn't make me good enough to have an opinion in it though..

Last edited:
So its not really an actual statistic, but an observation. I'm here searching for the actual stat and should have it soon, but can tell you it is no where near Four to one for any brand. Not even close.

Lol, very analytical aren't we. Well good luck finding that stat online, doubt it exists but I could be wrong. Maybe there are some other college players or former college players on this forum that can attest to their observations during their playing days.

What does one have to do to be a "top notch" player? Scratch or better? I've heard guys complain about a couple brands (Nike comes to mind) as a staffer.. But it has never been proV1 or bust from the guys I know on staff contracts.

I firmly believe that bridgestone makes a superior and more dynamic ball over titleist right now. I guess playing to a 2-4 handicap doesn't make me good enough to have an opinion in it though..

Yeah, one company doesn't make a "better" ball than the others. It's all about personal preference. I like the B330-S over the ProV1 by a bit, and I also like the HEX Black and Penta. They all have slightly different characteristics and then it comes down to preference. But I find it hard to say the ProV1 is a better ball for all good players.

I love where this thread went. Makes me laugh.

Any luck finding that stat? I would like to see how wrong i was.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I think Titleist just doesn't want to lower the perception of quality they now enjoy. You can't even get Titleist clubs at Dick's, and the prices are at the upper end, so you won't see as many average golfers using their clubs. I guess if they were hurting for sales, they'd bring out a line of less expensive gear aimed at the recreational market and call it something else. I just hope they don't ever bring out a cheap line of Titleist clubs.

What does one have to do to be a "top notch" player? Scratch or better? I've heard guys complain about a couple brand balls (Nike comes to mind) as a staffer.. But it has never been proV1 or bust from the guys I know on staff contracts.

I guess i figured that a top notch player is considered a consistent ball striker with the capabilities of determining the advantages and disadvantages of equipment. But maybe it means something else on this forum. Didnt figure so many people would get all butt hurt like a 15 year old girl over my opinion on the way titleist is going with their company or the observations (JB) that ive made at all the tournaments ive played in.

I think I could easily game a full bag of Titleist and be very happy. I love the 913 D2, the AP2's are phenomenal irons. Never really given the Vokeys a chance but I bet I would like them. I have recently gone back to the ProV1X and have really liked what I have seen. Although it hurts deeply losing $4 a pop. I don't think they are being left behind. I just think they don't market the same way as TM and Cally and others. I would venture to say most of their marketing dollars go to the ProV line and they rely on reputation to sell their irons/wedges. And of course Scotty continues to have a strong following.

I think Titleist just doesn't want to lower the perception of quality they now enjoy. You can't even get Titleist clubs at Dick's, and the prices are at the upper end, so you won't see as many average golfers using their clubs. I guess if they were hurting for sales, they'd bring out a line of less expensive gear aimed at the recreational market and call it something else. I just hope they don't ever bring out a cheap line of Titleist clubs.

I can buy Titleist at the Green Bay Dicks.

I guess i figured that a top notch player is considered a consistent ball striker with the capabilities of determining the advantages and disadvantages of equipment. But maybe it means something else on this forum. Didnt figure so many people would get all butt hurt like a 15 year old girl over my opinion on the way titleist is going with their company or the observations (JB) that ive made at all the tournaments ive played in.

Good luck with this.

Good luck with this.

Yeah def. Looks like i'll need it. Lol

Yep. I can tell you and a full bag of titleist clubs would get along swimmingly.

Any luck finding that stat? I would like to see how wrong i was.

I work with real information and getting accurate statistics takes time and is not always obtainable on a Saturday night during the holidays. Preliminary showing in early counts from the year are no where near 4 to 1, but rather than just throw out numbers, we prefer to work with real numbers. It is coming and a request was sent to two different places to get it.

As for the 2nd post....Not sure where any of that came from, but sometimes its best that I just move on and will do that in this case.

I can buy Titleist at the Green Bay Dicks.

I was basing it on what they have listed on their web site. I guess individual stores must carry things not on the site. My bad for assuming.

I think I could easily game a full bag of Titleist and be very happy. I love the 913 D2, the AP2's are phenomenal irons. Never really given the Vokeys a chance but I bet I would like them. I have recently gone back to the ProV1X and have really liked what I have seen. Although it hurts deeply losing $4 a pop. I don't think they are being left behind. I just think they don't market the same way as TM and Cally and others. I would venture to say most of their marketing dollars go to the ProV line and they rely on reputation to sell their irons/wedges. And of course Scotty continues to have a strong following.

I hate doing this, but I agree with you. I could play an entire bag full of Titleist equipment. I've actually enjoyed some of their iron offerings in the past, the 775cb was one that I almost bought out of college. I've yet to hit a Titleist driver better than others out on the market. Maybe that will change with the 913. Scotty might not always have original designs but he does make a good putter. I don't think they are being left behind, I just think they are catering to a slightly different demographic

I hate doing this, but I agree with you. I could play an entire bag full of Titleist equipment. I've actually enjoyed some of their iron offerings in the past, the 775cb was one that I almost bought out of college. I've yet to hit a Titleist driver better than others out on the market. Maybe that will change with the 913. Scotty might not always have original designs but he does make a good putter. I don't think they are being left behind, I just think they are catering to a slightly different demographic

I happen to agree that they have quality club offerings.. Vokeys are solid, and their woods and hybrids are top tier. Among the best probably, but I don't think they have the market cornered.

That said, they don't give me a reason to play them at all beyond current prestige. Companies that reach out and interact with the consumer are companies I want to support and I've never gotten that feeling from titleist.

But, the question is...are you good enough to play it? :alien:

I would be curious if the college tournaments have a list of what equip is played by players. I know they do for big USGA tournaments like the Am, Mid Am, etc.

I certainly don't think it's 4:1

But, the question is...are you good enough to play it? :alien:

Nope. That's what the drivers haven't worked for me in the past. Although this past year I moved to forged irons and a 445 driver. I got serious

Nope. That's what the drivers haven't worked for me in the past. Although this past year I moved to forged irons and a 445 driver. I got serious
I found a Pro V1 a few weeks ago, I instantly became serious.

Back