WINE enthusiasts?

It sure was Vince. A nice blend by Foley. Pretty dry when first opened, but upon sitting, it opened up well.

It sure was Vince. A nice blend by Foley. Pretty dry when first opened, but upon sitting, it opened up well.

Nice, we bought an aerator a few years ago and helps the breathing process.

Some Cab Sav, Petite Sirah as well as a couple others in that one I believe. Foley wines are usually pretty beefy. Tasty stuff.

He has always been my favorite winemaker going back to his early days. Love just about all the wineries he works with including Pride, but also the lesser known like Switchback Ridge, Paloma and Schoolhouse.

He has always been my favorite winemaker going back to his early days. Love just about all the wineries he works with including Pride, but also the lesser known like Switchback Ridge, Paloma and Schoolhouse.

I was on the Switchback Ridge allocation list for a while. Still have a few bottles from them. Probably my favorite of what you listed along with Pride. Love the Pride Cab Franc.

So over the holiday season, I attended the annual blind wine tasting party that one of my good pals throws. About 30-35 people attend each year. Each person is required to bring a bottle ($20 limit) and some are instructed to bring a white and others a red so that it is 50-50.

Having attended this for several years now, I have become quite proficient in determining what types of wines do well in the competition. This year I brought a Novy 2008 Christensen Family Vineyard Syrah. This year I won the grand prize. This wine is full-bodied, with hints of blackberry, pepper and meaty. Good stuff, if you're into that kinda of syrah.

Love Novy stuff Looper. Anything from them really. Siduri and Novy for the money are incredibly tough to beat.

Some Cab Sav, Petite Sirah as well as a couple others in that one I believe. Foley wines are usually pretty beefy. Tasty stuff.

I missed this one Rob. It actually is predominantly Merlot I believe.

I was on the Switchback Ridge allocation list for a while. Still have a few bottles from them. Probably my favorite of what you listed along with Pride. Love the Pride Cab Franc.

I still get Switchback and Schoolhouse and have done Pride for years. Foley Claret is still my favorite of what he makes. I have a vertical going back to 98.

I missed this one Rob. It actually is predominantly Merlot I believe.

I still get Switchback and Schoolhouse and have done Pride for years. Foley Claret is still my favorite of what he makes. I have a vertical going back to 98.

Nice. That's a tasty vertical. Over the years my wife and I have been migrating more and more towards Bordeaux and Burgundy but thanks to the Chinese, prices on those wines are skyrocketing so we're moving the profile of the cellar back to this side of the Atlantic with our purchases.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wine was a blend of Cab/Merlot and Petite Sirah. Foley loves Petite Sirah. In fact, the Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah is probably his greatest wine (IMHO).

Nice. That's a tasty vertical. Over the years my wife and I have been migrating more and more towards Bordeaux and Burgundy but thanks to the Chinese, prices on those wines are skyrocketing so we're moving the profile of the cellar back to this side of the Atlantic with our purchases.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wine was a blend of Cab/Merlot and Petite Sirah. Foley loves Petite Sirah. In fact, the Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah is probably his greatest wine (IMHO).

It certainly is a blend of all. Just over 50% Merlot was what I was putting out there. It actually finishes a lot like the earlier Pride Merlots.

I've read a few pages of this thread now. Interesting, but is starting to make my head hurt. Too many descriptions.

Anyways, I'm not very fancy. I only really drink 2 brands of wine. Blackstone and Charles Shaw. (to you Trader Joe fans that's 2 buck chuck) Mostly Pinot and sometimes Merlot.

I've read a few pages of this thread now. Interesting, but is starting to make my head hurt. Too many descriptions.

Anyways, I'm not very fancy. I only really drink 2 brands of wine. Blackstone and Charles Shaw. (to you Trader Joe fans that's 2 buck chuck) Mostly Pinot and sometimes Merlot.
The great thing about wine is that it can be as simple or sophisticated as we want to make it. At the end of the day all wine is for drinking. Everyone starts out at the lower end of the price spectrum. You can either stay there with bottles you know you like or start experimenting, often with bottles that are just a notch more spendy. It is all good!

I like Fetzer!

It's tough to not be into wine when you live in the middle of Paso Robles wine country and a bunch of your friends are in the industry. It's fun to be able to taste on short notice within 10-50 minutes of the house.

Heading up to Justin today for the release of their 2010 Isosceles! This is their flagship blend and always a treat. I just hope the 2010 was a good year for them.

Redneck Wine

Redneck Wine

Morgan David 20/20 Grape :thumb: I rarely drink wine, but when I do, it's MadDog 20/20

I have been buying most of my wine from wtso.com (wine til sold out) lately. If you know what you like, they have some amazing deals. I also recommend wine.com, as they seem to have outstanding case pricing.

I have been buying most of my wine from wtso.com (wine til sold out) lately. If you know what you like, they have some amazing deals. I also recommend wine.com, as they seem to have outstanding case pricing.

I've used WTSO from time to time. They have some good deals and good customer service.

Does anyone have experience with wine refrigerators? I am thinking about Avanti, Haier, Vinotemp, Danby and KitchenAid.

If you have a wine collection that you value and want to age properly, stay away from the cheap stuff. If it's just a wine fridge to hold stuff that you drink all the time then you can be a little less conservative with your choices.

I have a vinotheque cabinet with an upgrade whisperkool unit that uses a bottle probe to maintain proper liquid temperature and it's worked flawlessly for several years.

I also see that you are from Florida so having a good wine cabinet is pretty important down there.

If you have a wine collection that you value and want to age properly, stay away from the cheap stuff. If it's just a wine fridge to hold stuff that you drink all the time then you can be a little less conservative with your choices.

I have a vinotheque cabinet with an upgrade whisperkool unit that uses a bottle probe to maintain proper liquid temperature and it's worked flawlessly for several years.

I also see that you are from Florida so having a good wine cabinet is pretty important down there.

Thanks for the reply. The units I am looking at are under counter in the $1000 range. I need something that will maintain a consistent temp and humidity. Looking to store 40 bottles or so so I don't need a huge cabinet. I do have some good reds that I do not want to lose.

Thanks for the reply. The units I am looking at are under counter in the $1000 range. I need something that will maintain a consistent temp and humidity. Looking to store 40 bottles or so so I don't need a huge cabinet. I do have some good reds that I do not want to lose.

Most of those units would be fine for short term storage for wines that you plan on drinking over the next couple of years. Not many in that size do humidity control but it's humid enough in Florida that it shouldn't be a problem providing that whatever you get does not remove ​humidity, like a regular refrigerator does.

Most of those units would be fine for short term storage for wines that you plan on drinking over the next couple of years. Not many in that size do humidity control but it's humid enough in Florida that it shouldn't be a problem providing that whatever you get does not remove ​humidity, like a regular refrigerator does.

Ahh! Good observation. I will certainly keep that in mind. As a "senior" I don't even buy green bananas so looong term storage is not much of an isue.

Had a dinner party with some friends in NYC this past weekend. I was in charge of the wine. I had a handful of different selections, but also had three that I had never tried before:

2010 Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape: I only enjoyed a few sips of this rhone blend, as I was drinking other selections with my meal. However, what I did try was decent. It was a dark purple color, with rasberry and black licorice characteristics. While it was fairly full-bodied and dense, it was lacking on the back-end. Could have used a year or so in the cellar. Overall, meh to decent.

2010 Chateau Haut Bergey Pessac Leognan: This bordeaux blend has much more bite and kick. It had a terrific spice to it, combined with a ripe fruity feel. I was pretty happy with this seclection, and the price is decent enough for a more regular offering.

2009 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes: Let me begin by saying that I typically shy away from sauternes. Nonetheless, a few of our pals are fans, so I brought some along for a later in the evening go-to. It definitely had a carribean vibe to it.... maybe a bit of honey, honey dew and papaya. Near the end, it felt a little nutty. It did the trick and people were happy.

I purchased a Vinotemp with French doors that holds 21 red and 21 white in separate compartments. Saved about $300 buying on-line and avoiding shipping and sales tax.

Just spent 3 and a half days in the Napa Valley Since shipping wines back to Massachusetts is pretty expensive, my wife and I decided to pack up all of the wine that we bought and checked it as our baggage on the plane coming back here. I'm happy to report that all of the bottles made it back safely! On another note, we bought close to 2 cases of wine in 3 days, that's normal, right?

Back