What shot will most likely blow up your round?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
What shot has the potential of blowing up your round, and turning an average day to a "what the heck just happened, give me a beer" kind of day? In other words, what miss is most prevalent in your game that also causes the most damage to your score?

For me, it is not the errant tee shot (although I'm known to send a ball or ten into another fairway). I can generally recover pretty well. For me, it is the delicate pitch using a lob wedge. Examples would be a tight pitch over a sand trap or a pitch just over the fringe to a close pin. I can manage to do anything from chili dip, to blade it, to the dreaded double hit. This is especially frustrating because I'm extremely comfortable chipping and flopping from anywhere, and even have no problems with the dreaded half-swing pitch.

The reason it blows up my round is I'm usually left with the same type of shot after screwing up the first one. I'll overcompensate for my previous mistake and the circle continues. Suddenly, an easy par became a triple or a quad, and I usually don't get my head right for two or three holes.

What about you guys?

Bad drive OB on a long par 4 or 5. Already behind the 8 ball and I dont hit the ball a long way. Recipe for a blow up.

Mine is usually a couple of missed putts in a row. My confidence goes out the window and then my game sort of falls apart from there. I am a little hard on myself when it comes to putting, and sometimes that bites me in the rear end

A drive I start out to the right and doesn't come back. I play a consistent draw (hook, whatever), but even this weekend, I lost one right and it snow-balled from there.

When I lose one in one direction, take a drop, and lose it the other.

Mine is usually a couple of missed putts in a row. My confidence goes out the window and then my game sort of falls apart from there. I am a little hard on myself when it comes to putting, and sometimes that bites me in the rear end

Exactly what I was thinking about my own game. A few bad putts in a row and I can destroy a round. The confidence goes out the window and I start trying anything and everything, to the point of just slapping at the ball with the putter. It's like a snow ball going down a hill. Sometimes, I don't know how to stop it.

Usually any hole with a penalty and another bad shot in there somewhere to boot. It's usually off the tee or long iron where I do the most damage.

Bad drive OB on a long par 4 or 5. Already behind the 8 ball and I dont hit the ball a long way. Recipe for a blow up.

I'm the same. If I put a drive on a par 5 OB, I'm probably going to end up getting a snowman on the hole. I'll tend to play more conservatively the rest of the hole and be tentative. A recipe for disaster for my game.

The easy approach shot into big trouble. Clear look at the green from the fairway and a worse than normal miss. Boo-urns.

a big push slice OB, or a fat shot that fail to clear the pond in front of the green

The easy approach shot into big trouble. Clear look at the green from the fairway and a worse than normal miss. Boo-urns.

That one drives me CRAZY. My favorite easy approach shot miss is when you hit a draw *cough. hook* and the ball hits the cart path and bounces OB.

A second chip shot on the same hole. When my short game, normally the best part of my game, gets away from me, suddenly I start feeling like I need to start really aiming my irons, which leads to tension that just translates all over the place. Tension + irons = all the bad misses. But it's usually because some bad chipping/pitching leads to doubles and triples.

Happened to me yesterday, I was driving the ball mostly down the middle yesterday and the on the 15th hooked one left, then again on 16 and 18. 17 was a par three. I still do not know what went wrong but I was 10 over on those 4 holes to blow a nice round:angry:

Coming up short on my approach and burying it in the lip of a greenside bunker. Nothing worse.

Defiantly my tee shot missed. Either a hook or snap hook OB. It has been much better since switching drivers. My fairway percentage has increase 5% since the switch.

That stupid full wedge shot after a great drive that I either hit super fat and 10 yds, or blade it and go way over the green. Things quickly go downhill from there.

This. Case and point: I was +3 at Pine Lakes through 12 holes. On 13, I hit driver (admittedly a dumb choice) and pulled it OB left. Went on to double the hole, then end up +9 for the round. Just throws the confidence inside of a pillowcase and slings it into walls.

OOB on the first hole of the day, lol. Na seriously though it's more often than not an errant tee shot that puts me well out of position and then my agressive style gets me deeper into trouble when I don't pull off the recovery shot.

Either missing a drive with a quick hook to the left, or the dreaded sh***. I have no confidence in my game after either of those shots.

For me, its not an OB drive, its not a missed putt.

My kryptonite is the chunked iron shot. That one where everything is going just great, and then CHUNK. Everything goes downhill for me from there. It kills my confidence, and right away I am trying to modify my swing to make sure it doesn't happen again....

Any kind of shanked or duffed shot. I spend a lot of time preparing and getting my shot set up and when I see it fly 70* off to the right or roll 20 yards away, that upsets me. Kinda messes with my head because I am thinking that what I did in two or three shots I could have done in one.

For me it's my short game. If I start to have issues with my chipping, missing longer or off line big, that usually gets in my head some.

Bad pitching...leads to bad putting...leads to much bigger numbers.

Snap hook off the tee

Back