The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, where's the sim at?

Right in the middle of downtown Boston. For me, 10 minute walk to the subway from my home, then 25 minutes on the subway, then 5 minute walk to the facility.

Ary I don't think you have that 8 iron dialed in enough. You should probably keep working... You're all over the place! :alien:

Yeah, I'm definitely not that accurate in real life. I think that the simulator tends to straighten things out a bit. What I didn't show in the picture is that the simulator gives you launch angle, ball speed, carry distance and total distance, which is nice. However, one of my focuses for 2013 is to get more accurate from 150 yards and in to give myself more GIR which means more attempts at birdie. 8 iron is my 150 yard club, give or take a few yards, so I figure that if I can get that distance dialed in, everything shorter than that will be easier.

Just finished shoveling more than a foot of snow from one of the range mats, that was a workout in itself. Now I'm taking a break in the house for 30 minutes to let the coating of ice melt away. I have a bag of shag balls and I am all stretched out and ready to go hit. It will be good to get some full swings in again, getting bored with chipping into the putting machine and pitching into the back of the couch in my living room.

So just finished a range session today and after yesterday's debacle, I finally turned it back around. Started out extremely rough again and could not correct myself from coming across and out to in. So I basically stepped away and began to just focus on getting my hands through. I then actually started swinging harder little by little until I was probably at 90-95%.

Man, it made a huge difference. Almost like when I was slowing the swing down I was fighting my natural flow. It's weird, because usually when I try to uncork it, it is bad news. Going to try to begin my next session (after warming up) at full strength and see how that goes.

Was a good for the most part though, felt much better.

Nice man. Glad to hear it came back around for you a bit.

Question gentlemen: if I play 2 balls off each tee and play them through 18 keeping score, would you count that as 2 rounds of just count the 1st ball as a round?

Yeah, I'm definitely not that accurate in real life. I think that the simulator tends to straighten things out a bit. What I didn't show in the picture is that the simulator gives you launch angle, ball speed, carry distance and total distance, which is nice. However, one of my focuses for 2013 is to get more accurate from 150 yards and in to give myself more GIR which means more attempts at birdie. 8 iron is my 150 yard club, give or take a few yards, so I figure that if I can get that distance dialed in, everything shorter than that will be easier.

Yep the simulators tend to not pick up everything, but still, that's a nice looking session. How was your spin on those shots? That would be even better if you were gettin some nice spin on those shots to make those darts stick.

Question gentlemen: if I play 2 balls off each tee and play them through 18 keeping score, would you count that as 2 rounds of just count the 1st ball as a round?

Call it what you want my man. The more practice, the better!

So just finished a range session today and after yesterday's debacle, I finally turned it back around. Started out extremely rough again and could not correct myself from coming across and out to in. QUOTE]

Have ya pratice the 2 club drill? Taking you 6 & 7 iron together. slow backswing, not pausing but STOPPING @ the top. Gravity will let you naturally bring the club down the slot on the proper path.

At the top think of a waiter with an extremely heavy tray, the 1st motion will be down not turning the shoulder to the left...

So just finished a range session today and after yesterday's debacle, I finally turned it back around. Started out extremely rough again and could not correct myself from coming across and out to in. QUOTE]

Have ya pratice the 2 club drill? Taking you 6 & 7 iron together. slow backswing, not pausing but STOPPING @ the top. Gravity will let you naturally bring the club down the slot on the proper path.

At the top think of a waiter with an extremely heavy tray, the 1st motion will be down not turning the shoulder to the left...

That's an interesting way to think about it. Thanks

I'll have to try that bulldog, thanks for the suggestion!

Hope this works.. no comput savy bu I'll try. 1st is my eval. The 2nd is my last lesson @ Thanksgiving time, wrist injury & weather has sideline me of late.

[video=youtube_share;T1H-5eSwF2g]http://youtu.be/T1H-5eSwF2g[/video]

Last edited:
Went to the range today and worked on full shots with a few different clubs. I also got a chance to use the Coach's Eye app I downloaded. I'm actually looking at some of the video's right now but I'm focusing on my address, grip, and how effectively I'm releasing the club. Also comparing good shots vs. bad shots to try to determine what some of my tendencies are when I hit a poor shot. Really excited about this app and hopefully I can learn more about my swing during the off season.

Yep the simulators tend to not pick up everything, but still, that's a nice looking session. How was your spin on those shots? That would be even better if you were gettin some nice spin on those shots to make those darts stick.

Sorry, didn't see this until right now. The simulator doesn't give you spin numbers, and it was saying that the balls were rolling out about 4-6 yards on every shot. I'd assume that under regular conditions outdoors, I wouldn't see that much roll out with an 8-iron. To be honest with you, I'm more concerned right now about hitting the ball straighter than trying to hit it further. If it goes straighter, it will go further anyways, so I'm working on the straight part.

Bigtime range session today. I was trying out my new 910d2 driver vs. my Nike vr tour and also working on my 9-sw.
After getting the settings right on the 910 there was just no comparing the two clubs, I carry the 910 on average 20 yards farther and the flight is a ton better and I don't have to focus on my release near as much.
I was hitting my wedges on 1/2-3/4-full shots to get my consistency on ball striking dialed in. I tend to sweep them so I set up a drill to stop that and compress the ball more. It sure was nice adding 20-25 yards per club at the end of the day and much better ball flight.

Moved over to the chipping area and the ball striking drill paid off , I can now stop the ball allot better adding spin and I am now online instead of opening up to the left. I can now see adding another wedge to my setup to help fill gaps.

I am damned and determined to be single digit this year, you just wait and see.

I had a range session today and hit about 90% of the bucket awesome. I was really happy.

Then I got a bad case of the shanks. Really awful. Got another bucket and hit probably 40 balls that looked like I'd never swung a club.

Frustrated, I pulled out my driver and decided to just have some fun. I was going to swing away and bomb some drives, results be damned. No thinking allowed. It was really fun. I hit some beautiful shots. When I went back to my irons to finish up, the shanks were gone. Whew...

worked on my putting again last night for a little bit...
incorporated another drill that i took away from my SPi fitting/lesson.
the drill focuses on creating good torso/shoulder turn in your putting stroke, moving towards the end goal of a pure stroke and pure roll.

take your driver or 3 wood and place the headcover into the center of your chest, and the butt-end of the grip on the top of your putter.
make your normal putting stroke while keeping the driver in place.
it's not a very easy drill and takes some practice, but you should start seeing results quickly...then once you've gotten the hang of it, try doing it again, this time without the headcover. makes it a little more difficult to keep that club in place.

Another terrible range session. I guess it's the nature of winter and indoors practice (2-3 days per week instead of 6-7) but it still pisses me off. Nothing felt right and yet again everything feels so fast.

Another terrible range session. I guess it's the nature of winter and indoors practice (2-3 days per week instead of 6-7) but it still pisses me off. Nothing felt right and yet again everything feels so fast.

What do you mean by this? Only reason I ask is because I sometimes feel like I need to speed up rather than slow down, the opposite of what you hear so many people talk about. I feel like my tempo is too slow at times.

What do you mean by this? Only reason I ask is because I sometimes feel like I need to speed up rather than slow down, the opposite of what you hear so many people talk about. I feel like my tempo is too slow at times.

I'm spending a lot of time in the gym to become more explosive, so all my movements are fast really without me trying. I have a real hard time swinging smoothly right now.

I'm spending a lot of time in the gym to become more explosive, so all my movements are fast really without me trying. I have a real hard time swinging smoothly right now.

In other words, nothing like what I have going on lol. Well, I don't swing smoothly, but explosive and me don't usually co-mingle.

In other words, nothing like what I have going on lol. Well, I don't swing smoothly, but explosive and me don't usually co-mingle.

I've said in other threads, but I'm working on keeping my hips from rotating too early...when I do it right, I store so much energy that everything just uncoils faster than I can control at the moment. When my timing is off, like today, it feels pretty brutal, even though the ball flies OK most of the time.

I've said in other threads, but I'm working on keeping my hips from rotating too early...when I do it right, I store so much energy that everything just uncoils faster than I can control at the moment. When my timing is off, like today, it feels pretty brutal, even though the ball flies OK most of the time.

i've seen my swing on video and witnessed myself doing this when trying to crush a ball. my hips clear too fast and i normally will pull the ball as my arms play catch-up for fear of getting behind and slicing.

so really, as much as it's about speed and explosiveness...it's about timing and tempo, as pete alluded to.

i've seen my swing on video and witnessed myself doing this when trying to crush a ball. my hips clear too fast and i normally will pull the ball as my arms play catch-up for fear of getting behind and slicing.

so really, as much as it's about speed and explosiveness...it's about timing and tempo, as pete alluded to.

I'm talking about rotating them in the backswing though. I try to do that as little as possible. :)

So while watching the ToC today I noticed that several players have moved to a left hand low putting style. So I decided to give a run in my living room. Threw three coasters on the floor and rolled a few conventional with my FGP and Si2. Moved to left hand low, left index finger down the shaft, both thumbs on pointed down the shaft and interlock grip. Actually felt fairly normal as I putt left handed all the time, for no other reason to entertain myself. Very first thing I noticed was that I have to really rock my shoulders to get the club to move and that I felt much more of the weight of the putter and was much more SBST. I think this is something that I'm going to continue to work on as it completly took my right hand out and any ability to be wristy at all. BTW, I think my living room stiemps around a 7..lol

I was warming up yesterday & the course owner came out & asked if I liked chicken. Strange question but we'd been talking awhile so I didn't think much of it, then he said he did too but not on the course. He pointed out what I was feeling but couldn't feel what it was, my right elbow is/was getting way out there & I was getting too fast. He had me slow down & keep my elbow closer to my side. Dang if it didn't feel a whole lot better & brought my slice back to a playable & almost pretty draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back