Gas instead of solvent

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody ever did this? I know when dad was building clubs 20 years ago he used this method.

Anybody ever did this? I know when dad was building clubs 20 years ago he used this method.

I haven't done it personally, but it can work

TapaTalk from the iPhone

It would sure as heck smell a lot worse.

I've heard of lighter fluid being used but never gas.

Buddy off mine has. Works just the same, just smells.

Cheaper

Warm soapy water is what I use. Cheaper than gas.

Yeah, it might work, but I don't think I'd want to load up my grips with gas. I was happy to drop 4 bucks on a bottle of solvent that'll last me years.

Where are you buying solvent

You can get solvent at just about any golf store, ebay, or even some hardware stores probably have something.

like the people before me have said, you can get a big bottle of solvent for about $4. I wouldn't ever use anything else, especially gasoline???

You can buy solvent at most golf stores, but warm water with soap works well too.

I would rather not use gas. That smell is hard to get off your hands when just a little gets on it at the pump on accident. Wouldn't want to do it on purpose!

I use lighter fluid. Golf stores here don't sell solvent and I didn't want to wait for shipping from the Us. I find it works great.

The guy that did my grips used WD-40. He said that's what he's always used when I asked him about it. Do a lot of people use that? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Anyway, I wasn't a big fan of it as it took a couple of rounds before I got it all off the grips and was comfortable with them.

Mineral Spirits is pretty much the exact same thing.

Bingo. Works great as well.

The gas thing would freak me the heck out.

The guy that did my grips used WD-40. He said that's what he's always used when I asked him about it. Do a lot of people use that? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Anyway, I wasn't a big fan of it as it took a couple of rounds before I got it all off the grips and was comfortable with them.

I haven't heard of that before. I know you want to use something to help it slide on easier, but I don't know about an actual lubricant. Could take forever to set, wouldn't it?

I smoke, so, yeah, no to this one. I just load up on solvent at Golfworks.

I smoke, so, yeah, no to this one. I just load up on solvent at Golfworks.

I just use mineral spirits from menards plus I can use the left over to clean paint brushes and stuff. For not much more money you get a whole gallon.

Amphibians can tapatalk!

I haven't heard of that before. I know you want to use something to help it slide on easier, but I don't know about an actual lubricant. Could take forever to set, wouldn't it?

That's what I thought, but he assured me it was OK, and I haven't had any problems yet. But I did leave them with him on a sunday and didn't pick them up until the next thursday, so I guess they had plenty of time to set. Maybe the WD-40 reacts with the tape somehow.

Back