How do you "see" the line?

I have such a hard time reading greens. Maybe its cause I played Billiards for so many years before starting golf that I'm used to always aiming in a straight line to sink the ball.

I'm not a good putter.

Looking forward to reading this to see if I can learn something from it. Tuned in.!!

I imagine water running through the green and determine my line based on that

I imagine water running through the green and determine my line based on that
Yes, but do you actually see a line in your mind's eye? Or do you see a little river of water? I've read about figuring how water would run through a green helps but I can't see that image. When I imagine water it's more of a sheet of water and how it will react, but it doesn't show me a line to the hole.

Last edited:
I must be blind or have severe ADD but I cannot read a putt. My putting is 100% feel, line and speed. Fortunately I'm pretty decent, 28-29 putts per round is where you will find me but reading a putt, I'll just go with what it feels like.

I must be blind or have severe ADD but I cannot read a putt. My putting is 100% feel, line and speed. Fortunately I'm pretty decent, 28-29 putts per round is where you will find me but reading a putt, I'll just go with what it feels like.

I used to think I was just seeing lines from the mower. Then I read about tour players that see the same thing and I realized it was some kind of subconscious projection.

I have always been taught to walk around the green as you can sometimes feel the change in slope just by walking. Then I look for the break and pick a spot I need to aim for to compensate for the break. The hard part for me tends to be the speed.

I see the line by imaging that someone is pouring a bucket of water on the green and seeing how the water would flow.

Yes, but do you actually see a line in your mind's eye? Or do you see a little river of water? I've read about figuring how water would run through a green helps but I can't see that image. When I imagine water it's more of a sheet of water and how it will react, but it doesn't show me a line to the hole.

I just imagine how my ball will roll based on the "water" and I set up and putt. Works every time

I just imagine how my ball will roll based on the "water" and I set up and putt. Works every time
Satchmo, hope you don't mind the questions. I'm not questioning your method I'm just trying to figure out how it works for you so I can try and use it as well. I think I've been playing so long that reading the line is mainly a subconscious thing for me. I think the water on the green visualization would be a good method for those putts that I don't get a read on right away.
• So, when you're imagining the water running through the green do you see it running from the ball to the hole?
• Do you also see it from below the fall line or on the other side of the hole?
• Does it flow faster downhill or slower uphill or is the speed not a part of the water flowing?

Thanks

How do you "see" the line?

Satchmo, hope you don't mind the questions. I'm not questioning your method I'm just trying to figure out how it works for you so I can try and use it as well. I think I've been playing so long that reading the line is mainly a subconscious thing for me. I think the water on the green visualization would be a good method for those putts that I don't get a read on right away.
• So, when you're imagining the water running through the green do you see it running from the ball to the hole?
• Do you also see it from below the fall line or on the other side of the hole?
• Does it flow faster downhill or slower uphill or is the speed not a part of the water flowing?

Thanks

I imagine rolling a ball towards the hole and how the water affects the ball, such as flow faster downhill etc, then I adjust my aim accordingly. I've been known to be a consistent putter because of this.

Every course has a common slope cause by the contour of the land, for example my home course is at the base of a huge mountain range, and slopes down towards the valley just like the water from the mountains so I use that along with the sloping of the green to find my line

SaffaClint,
I have the same experience as you, and personally believe it's the most successful way of seeing the line accurately. Some people are just not capable of seeing things in this way in their minds. I personally believe that if a person can visualize a 3D image of an object in their mind and see it without someone drawing it for them or showing a picture of it, they are also able to see the line in the way you describe.
I would add a minor note in that when I see the line I also see it falling into the hole at a point around the circumference of the hole, i.e., at 4 o'clock or 7 o'clock.

For all of you who do not visualize the line in this fashion, I have played golf with a large number of low handicap players that read a break, feel the distance and speed through their eyes, then pick a spot 6 to 12 inches in front of the ball and then roll the ball over the spot.

Get it in the hole in as few strokes as possible and still have a great time trying!

SaffaClint,
I have the same experience as you, and personally believe it's the most successful way of seeing the line accurately. Some people are just not capable of seeing things in this way in their minds. I personally believe that if a person can visualize a 3D image of an object in their mind and see it without someone drawing it for them or showing a picture of it, they are also able to see the line in the way you describe.
I would add a minor note in that when I see the line I also see it falling into the hole at a point around the circumference of the hole, i.e., at 4 o'clock or 7 o'clock.

For all of you who do not visualize the line in this fashion, I have played golf with a large number of low handicap players that read a break, feel the distance and speed through their eyes, then pick a spot 6 to 12 inches in front of the ball and then roll the ball over the spot.

Get it in the hole in as few strokes as possible and still have a great time trying!

Hey bud, I'm the same as you. I don't always see it falling in the centre of the cup. Most of my putts die into the hole and as such tend to drop in from the high side.

I have great trouble seeing the line, so this thread is very interesting. Keep 'em coming.

The new Aim Point (I think that's correct) technology that we see on television sometimes is based on this approach as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a good article in last months Golf Digest by Sean Foley about putting. He gives three steps to help visualize the putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I putt the same way. I "see" a line and follow that back to my ball. I pick out a spot along that line that's just in front of my ball and as I take my stance I line up to that spot. That ensures that I'm aiming along the right line and all I have to do is worry about speed with my practice strokes. Has worked for me for a long time.

I putt the same way. I "see" a line and follow that back to my ball. I pick out a spot along that line that's just in front of my ball and as I take my stance I line up to that spot. That ensures that I'm aiming along the right line and all I have to do is worry about speed with my practice strokes. Has worked for me for a long time.

I hear and read this stuff and it just boggles my mind. It's not that I don't believe it... it's that unlike so many, I don't see a line. I see, and feel, peaks and valleys on a green, as I walk on it, but a line from my ball to the hole? I envy y'all. So... I'm curious... is the line stationary? Does it wobble? I watch Tiger Woods and see him walk half way from his ball to the hole and set his putter down on what seems to be an imaginary line. He waves his putter over it and returns to his ball. Why don't I see it?

I hear and read this stuff and it just boggles my mind. It's not that I don't believe it... it's that unlike so many, I don't see a line. I see, and feel, peaks and valleys on a green, as I walk on it, but a line from my ball to the hole? I envy y'all. So... I'm curious... is the line stationary? Does it wobble? I watch Tiger Woods and see him walk half way from his ball to the hole and set his putter down on what seems to be an imaginary line. He waves his putter over it and returns to his ball. Why don't I see it?

For me it would be like if the green were covered in dew, and a ball rolled over it making a faint line. It does move a little bit but it's mostly stationary. At first I thought it was a line from the lawnmower and I thought it was convenient my ball always landed on a mower tread lol.

I think if you're new to golf you won't see it. It comes from much experience reading greens. It's basically your instincts in your subconscious trying to move into your consciousness.

Hey bud, I'm the same as you. I don't always see it falling in the centre of the cup. Most of my putts die into the hole and as such tend to drop in from the high side.

I didn't say "center". I also typically die the ball into the hole, and that speed as you know plays a huge roll into the chosen line.

For me it would be like if the green were covered in dew, and a ball rolled over it making a faint line. It does move a little bit but it's mostly stationary. At first I thought it was a line from the lawnmower and I thought it was convenient my ball always landed on a mower tread lol.

I think if you're new to golf you won't see it. It comes from much experience reading greens. It's basically your instincts in your subconscious trying to move into your consciousness.

Thank you. I do understand the concept because as a writer and artist, I do see words and pictures in my minds eye. On a golf green, at best, I stand by my ball and try to imagine where water would flow in relation to the hole, and putt my ball in that direction.

Thank you. I do understand the concept because as a writer and artist, I do see words and pictures in my minds eye. On a golf green, at best, I stand by my ball and try to imagine where water would flow in relation to the hole, and putt my ball in that direction.

Good to hear. Just play a bunch, and I'm sure you'll start to "see" something eventually.

Dave, for me the line is stationary and the closest thing I can think of comparing it to is the aimpoint technology you see on tv. I can only assume that it comes with experience as I didn't always see the line the way I do today. I know as a kid starting out in the game I used to analyze the green and pretty much guess the line. Nowadays I get down on my haunches behind the ball and look for the line. I look all around the green from that low vantage point and within no time the line "appears" and it's go time. I pick a spot along the line close to the ball to make sure I start it on line, take no practice swings and then hit the putt.
Don't go out each time and think you can "magic" the line into appearing, it might not happen at all and that's fine too. Everyone sees a line differently and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Back