Oh my...worse than I thought...please help

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
Alright hopefully this works, never tried it before. I give you... the unfolding lawn chair. I've seen my swing on video before... but it's been awhile and this wasn't pretty. These aren't the best swings, but they are the best shots of the swings. As you can see... I need help. Main miss is fat... these were fat and left.

Down the line:

And side view:

My head seems to be sliding at the top (I think) I can't feel it and have no idea how to stop it.

I'm surprised you think your swing looks bad. It doesn't, I've seen a lot worse. You have a natural swing and I like it. You take the club away outside the target line and swing back down that line. So you have coordination, now we have to get you swinging more down the line or slightly inside the target line.

I don't mind the club head being outside the target line on the back swing as long as your shoulder turn is complete and your weight is transferred over you right leg. At this point your weight is out over you left leg due to the straightening of the right. Keep the same take away but maintain the flex in the right leg (very common swing flaw) this will give you a full turn as well as keep the club short of parallel. This buy itself won't fix the over the top move but it will allow you to now drop the club into the slot from a solid position. Oh try to tighten up the right elbow at the top of you swing. Try tucking a towel under you right arm. This will keep you more connected and help,with the transition to the down swing.

on the down swing provided the right elbow has remained tucked. You will start the swing and drop that elbow into your right hip. The left hip will start to move left and back off the target line. With the right elbow dropping into the right hip you can swing out to the right. If the elbow gets into or on top of the right hip it's very difficult to to swing left. I believe this will stop you from the fat lefts you are seeing.

Thanks so much Tadashi. I never thought of my right knee flex, that could help my weight transfer problem. The elbow, I think may be an overreaction to a push-fade with the driver. I'm trying to get my hands higher (per the emergency driver lesson I had), the elbow may be flying out because of that. I will try the towel drill. Thanks man.

I think your swing looks pretty good actually. Seemed like you had a lot of head bobbing before your actual swing takes place but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised after reading the title of your thread.

Yeah, the head bobbing is me trying to keep my posture / spine angle.

Hmmm looks to me like you're using your arms too much; not turning with your shoulders. I'm no teaching pro FYI.

I think you have a pretty nice swing huhh, Freddie offers some great advice and I think it will help you a ton.

Thanks so much Tadashi. I never thought of my right knee flex, that could help my weight transfer problem. The elbow, I think may be an overreaction to a push-fade with the driver. I'm trying to get my hands higher (per the emergency driver lesson I had), the elbow may be flying out because of that. I will try the towel drill. Thanks man.
Extend the club on the take away. Keep the club head low as long as possible. This will increase with width of your swing. Provided you make a good turn with the shoulders, you hands will naturally be higher.

Extend the club on the take away. Keep the club head low as long as possible. This will increase with width of your swing. Provided you make a good turn with the shoulders, you hands will naturally be higher.

hummm...never heard explained like that before. That makes sense. That's driver only yes? Too wide for irons?

Freddie, do you have an hourly rate? :act-up:

hummm...never heard explained like that before. That makes sense. That's driver only yes? Too wide for irons?

The swing should be the same for irons, drivers, wedges, etc. All shoulder movement guides the arms throughout the swing. Freddie is talking about connection and you should do your best to make the same basic swing movements at all times. Only thing that should really change from swing to swing is the plane...which is determined by the club you are using. Longer club = flatter swing, shorter club = more upright swing.

What Callaway said. The big thing you could focus on is the shoulder turn. You could practice this by crossing your arms over your chest, holding a stick or golf club across the front of your shoulders. Rotate so one end points toward the ball on the ground.

Do this a few times a day til it feels natural. Then when you're actually holding a club rotate your shoulders the same way, and just let your arms follow.

Sorry, you're probably going to get overwhelmed with advice posting a swing here :)

What Callaway said. The big thing you could focus on is the shoulder turn. You could practice this by crossing your arms over your chest, holding a stick or golf club across the front of your shoulders. Rotate so one end points toward the ball on the ground.

Do this a few times a day til it feels natural. Then when you're actually holding a club rotate your shoulders the same way, and just let your arms follow.

Sorry, you're probably going to get overwhelmed with advice posting a swing here :)

I do that drill, during warm up. I guess it never really translates over, I used it more as a stretch. My swing does look kinda armsy...maybe that's what I couldn't put my finger on.

shoulder turn(which has been mentioned) try to keep your left arm straight & make sure you accelerate through the ball, maybe try taking it away a touch slower so you you feel the transition at the top, helping you to fire through the ball

I do that drill, during warm up. I guess it never really translates over, I used it more as a stretch. My swing does look kinda armsy...maybe that's what I couldn't put my finger on.

It took me many months of practice to get past my instinct of picking the club up with my arms on the backswing.

Back