Had a full fitting today...

motoo344

Bearded Bandit
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been looking forward to this for a few weeks now. I had the chance to get a full bag fitting at Club Champion in the Philly area, it is a little pricey but part Christmas present and 30% discount helped. I also figured if I do it right the first...or third time it will save me a lot of heart ache later. It is definitely above and beyond any 'fitting' I have been through before. I actually walked out happy rather than questioning the big box stores numbers and limited time. Jim Yenser, who has been around a long time, he fit my dad years ago was great to work with and really seemed to be thorough.

The location is fairly easy to get to, its right of the schuykill expressway which is the only downside because that road is terrible. Once you get off it is about 1/8 a mile down the road. You walk in and there is an office and club building room. In the main lounge area they have a tv and some chairs you can sit and relax. Behind this are the two fitting bays with a wall full of shafts and heads.

I went in with an open mind and the only club I really wanted to hit was Razr Fit Extreme, I was open to whatever they had. My only real concern was finding the best driver and filling the gaps between my Driver and 5 Iron. My weakest area is my iron play and while I had no real intention to purchase irons I learned some valuable information about my irons. I ended up hitting some mizunos, tm, callaway and titliest clubs. Its nice because in 30 seconds you can pick pretty much any shaft you want and hit with any head. I am a big scooper, especially with my longer irons, the Rocketbladez and Mizuno MP H4 gave me the best results but nothing is going to help more than more lessons and practice. The MP H4 are a nice mix between form and function, they are simple looking unlike a lot of GI irons. I also liked them because they were forged, this is the one thing I did not like about the TM, I actually hit them okay but the H4 had an edge.

I have never had a driver that I have really liked, I have played a G10, I20 and then the Titliest D3 for a few months. My goal was more consistent misses as I figure distance will pick up a little with a better swing. I actually only ended up hitting the Razr Fit, 913 and R1. The Razr Fit was the winner, on the first try, I couldn't get numbers and disperssion better. I believe I hit six or seven shafts in the Razr Fit, I cannot think of them all but Oban, Diamana and Fujikura were a few. I hit the same shafts and some others in the the other clubs. I actually thought the R1 looked a lot better in person but I just did not like it. I did not like the noise it made and even though they are similar is volume I liked the Razr Fit better at address. I ended up being matched witt the Razr Fit extreme and Fujikura Fuel which was the first combo we tried.

This is the part I really wanted to get fit for, woods and hybrids. I hit a bunch of these, Cleveland, Callaway, TM, Ping, Adams and some others. I actually hit my Mashie fairly solid but I was left with it a lot, I honestly did not think I would pick up all that much more distance with anything else. I did not like anything TM in this department, they felt hollow to me. The Ping just was not for me either, I am not sure it was fatigue at this point or I just did not hit it well. I ended up spending a lot of time with the Adams Super LS and wow these are fantastic. I tried a bunch of different shaft combos and between the 3 wood and 19 hybrid I was hitting it really well. I don't put to much stock in distance on monitors but it seemed accurate enough with everything else up until this point but I have never hit a 3 wood so long. I was carrying them 210 on average, with roll at I was average mid 230's and had one up over 240. The hybrid was equally impressive getting me to 215-220. Only downside is that stock shaft with these clubs was the worst performer and last years shaft was the winner. Its actually a toss up for me because I crushed the X Hot as well, I would say I hit it about 3-5 yards less on average, I think 236 was the best with that 3 wood and they are significantly cheaper but I forget the shaft I hit with that.

Putting was something I was interesting in as well, they have SAM putting lab. I have a Metal X 7 and the report showed I have a slightly slow swing compared to the tour average and I close it slightly on my follow through. I was advised to try adding a little weight and cutting down the putter a bit, all in all only $20 bucks.

Overall a great experience, the place itself feels like a lounge, very relaxing and welcoming. I ended up spending just about five hours there and hit over 200 balls but the best part is that I actually felt like I walked away learning something about my game. The trackman is a great tool and if you are interested in getting fit I would go for it. I would rather pay a little more now than do what I did last year and buy an i20 and not like it, buy a D3 and not like it. Much easier to do it once and right!

That's awesome Motoo! Glad you liked everything about the fitting and hopefully it gives you some more confidence out on the course knowing you are playing the right equipment for you.

That is great Motoo. Glad you found something.

Sweet man. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

Awesome man, thanks for sharing your experience. I think learning about your game is the most important part!

Did you happen to snag any pictures while you were there?

that's spectacular man, make 2013 your year!

I would rather pay a little more now than do what I did last year and buy an i20 and not like it, buy a D3 and not like it. Much easier to do it once and right!

This is my thought process as well man! Sounds like you have a great time and a great experience. I'm happy you got some good info to narrow your focus.

Seems like a heck of an experience my previously bearded friend!!!

Glad you found some sticks that will work for you this year, and very cool about the SAM lab.

Love hearing about people's fitting experiences. Sounds like you've found a bunch of great fitting clubs and gained a lot of experience and knowledge.

Thanks, it was a great time, I had a lot of fun but at the same time it was a tease because there is a touch of snow on the ground.

Seems like a heck of an experience my previously bearded friend!!!

Glad you found some sticks that will work for you this year, and very cool about the SAM lab.

The SAM was cool, to my eye my putter was not turning on impact but it was slightly.

Club Champion is the real deal. I was blown away at all the shafts and club heads they have in stock. There's at least a thousand graphite shafts lining up the wall.

It is a steep price but I recommend that place. Glad it worked out for you.

Sounds great!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing! This gives me more motivation to actually do it.

Well done, Mitch. Thanks for sharing your experience. I sounds like you had a blast.

Are you now going to purchase the clubs that you were fitted for, or are you going to try to work them in gradually?

Awesome Mitch! Getting fit and finding gear is key!

congrats!

Way to go Mitch! Wish I hadve known because I was looking for someone to go with to get the 50% or 70% off deal.

TTing

Club Champion is the real deal. I was blown away at all the shafts and club heads they have in stock. There's at least a thousand graphite shafts lining up the wall.

It is a steep price but I recommend that place. Glad it worked out for you.

It really is, it is really the perfect environment, at least the Philly location was. I never felt pressured to buy anything which was nice, actually made me want to buy everything lol.

Sounds great!
Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome!

Thanks for sharing! This gives me more motivation to actually do it.

Do it!

Well done, Mitch. Thanks for sharing your experience. I sounds like you had a blast.

Are you now going to purchase the clubs that you were fitted for, or are you going to try to work them in gradually?

I am torn, I wouldn't buy everything right away unless I really had the coin to drop but I think I want to go with the D, FW and HYB. I usually find myself in one of two situations with the courses I play. I leave it in a range that I need something such as a 4-5 iron or 7, 8, 9 which I have more confidence in anyway. Plus in my quest to play smarter there are times when I really want a three wood off the tee but I did not have one. Plus on the iron side, nothing really wowed me, part of the issue is my swing so its hard to pick anything up for that. I think the best I did with a 6i was the rocketbladez at 165 and its simply because I release early and scoop it so my launch angle is quite high.

Sounds like you had a great experience! One day I will do a full bag fitting, just not yet.

Sounds like you had a great time and came away with some good ammo. Good for you Mitch!

LtEvO TaPpEd

Sounds like a great and busy day full of lots of swings. Glad you got everything right.

Thanks guys.

Way to go Mitch! Wish I hadve known because I was looking for someone to go with to get the 50% or 70% off deal.

I honestly did not even think about it, would have guessed you were set with the approaching Morgan Cup.

TTing

Sounds like you had a great time and came away with some good ammo. Good for you Mitch!

LtEvO TaPpEd

Thanks buddy. Hope you are doing alright, know you had some back/neck issues.

That's awesome. Glad it helped to get fit. I was thinking about getting fit from Dick's and then had second thoughts. Your post confirmed it thank you. Hope your new clubs help

Mitch sounds like a great experience -

Sounds great! I enjoyed my full fitting, and I hope you got everything out of yours that you wanted!

I am seriously thinking about a fitting with Club Champion. I live in Northern NJ, but everything I hear about them has just about pushed me over the edge to Club Champion.

Back