Pre-Sale Golf Club Ordering

JaxGolfer1

Weekend Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question that has been bothering me for a couple of years. It seems like the beginning of the year a couple of manufacturers have "pre-sale" golf club ordering. Are there really golfers out there that purchase golf clubs in advance before actually laying eyes on them, swinging them or hitting balls? Maybe I'm way out of the loop, but the thought of buying a golf club or set of golf clubs by seeing them online or in a golf magazine without gripping it and putting it behind a golf ball first is staggering. I'm curious to know from this group if this new fad is really catching on. Also, I'd like to hear from golfer that are buying clubs, not testing or given clubs each year as part of a sales pitch.

I have a question that has been bothering me for a couple of years. It seems like the beginning of the year a couple of manufacturers have "pre-sale" golf club ordering. Are there really golfers out there that purchase golf clubs in advance before actually laying eyes on them, swinging them or hitting balls? Maybe I'm way out of the loop, but the thought of buying a golf club or set of golf clubs by seeing them online or in a golf magazine without gripping it and putting it behind a golf ball first is staggering. I'm curious to know from this group if this new fad is really catching on. Also, I'd like to hear from golfer that are buying clubs, not testing or given clubs each year as part of a sales pitch.

I buy mine sight unseen a lot of the times because I have no choice. I am left handed, and have yet to find a single store in Kansas City that has anything left handed to demo. With that being the case I cannot hit anything before buying it

I agree. I wouldn't spend money on a club I didn't try first.

PING homers (serious ones) probably bought the Anser before it came out. TM homers the RBZ2 fm. People do it. May not be the smartest move but people do it.

THPing on Tapatalk

It's new and shiny. Sometimes we just can't resist. A lot of us are snowbound for 5 months so it's fun to buy things in the off season when the money situation is good. Then it's just a matter of getting rid of it if we don't like it without the wife finding out. Mine seems to think that once I buy a golf club, that's the end of it and I'll never need another one.

I really don't have a choice myself. I live more than an hour from a location that have the ability to let me try out a club. I go almost totally on reviews when I buy clubs. Thus far I have been pretty lucky in that almost everything I have bought has performed as expected.

i agree, it's crazy that people would order a club before seeing if it's any good for their swing, but the fact of the matter is, they don't know how important getting the correct club is, so they just wing it and hope they get a good match.

I've bought a few clubs before hitting them--all used or new at a good deal-- so it isn't the same thing. Even then, I do research them and have a good idea about what will work for my game.

For people that money isn't an issue, I'm sure it's no big deal if a new club or set of irons doesn't work out.

Some places do receive a couple demos for people to try first. Not always the case, but some companies do it.

That's advertising for you. This is done for a lot of products now.

Recall the lines of people waiting for iPhones? People want the newest and shiniest in most things, golf isn't an exception. I buy used/demo/last year's for the most part, but if funds were no object...I could see me ordering the latest and greatest and just selling off the last great thing.

I agree with OP. It's different buying something with ample reviews but preordering new releases is strange. There are a couple in the Covert thread that did that, I think; and at least one with an Xhot wood.

Seems crazy to me too, to purchase before I even test a club, but many are open to the idea. I think it just all comes down to what type of golf equipment consumer you are. Additionally, some are able to secure access to demo/try the club from someone lucky (a friend, tour friend, etc.) that gets it early and hit it before release to help them make their decision pre-public-release.

Ordering pre-release isn't a big deal anymore as almost every store will let you return the item either for your money back or credit towards something else. So it's not like you are stuck with whatever you bought.

Being left-handed makes it tough, but when it comes to irons and drivers, I always hit before buying. I have been wanting to try a "modern" blade for the last few seasons, but I can never find any in lefthanded to demo. I have been pretty lucky in buying off the rack for fairways/hybrids, but I also have pretty standard specs.

I'm LH, so I buy stuff I haven't hit a bunch. I have no choice a lot of the time.

99% of the time, I would agree with you hands down. Normally I don't buy clubs of any kind unless I have had the opportunity to hit them/trial them first in some way shape or form.

I did however pre order my RocketBladez before they were released to the general public. That was done mainly based on excellent feedback I read on this and other golf forums which all "raved" about the RocketBladez. I must admit I did have "an escape" plan ready in the back of my mind incase they didn't work out for me, but fortunatley they lived up to the hype and I love them.

I generally buy used about half way through the season at a fraction of the cost. I have bought a lot of clubs without ever hitting/seeing in person. If I don't like it I sell it and go about my business. I also agree that a lot of customers who are brand loyal are willing to pony up and give it a go trusting their favorite brand to deliver a great product.

I like to try before I buy but like the other lefties have said there isn't many places that have lefty demo equipment so we have no choice but to buy sight unseen.

people do it. I know the local store sold atleast 5 sets of Rocketbladz before they were out to the public

I just wanted to throw my two cents in on this one. I don't think most people on here realize there isnt a golf galaxy just down the street from all of us. I'm almost 400 miles away from the closest golf retailer. I think it would be great to test out different clubs and shafts. Not really an option though. That's what got me to THP. I was looking at new irons and THP had some great reviews. That's what we have to do out here in the sticks.

I've bought stuff I've never used before if it's a great deal, but not a pre-release expensive club

I have bought clubs that I had not hit after doing some research on here and looking at the specs compared to other clubs. Been disappointed after receipt more than once or maybe got caught up in a great review and bought a too advanced club and regretted it but then I turn around and resell it or trade and try to recover as much as possible. It's actually a hobby that is no more costly than many other hobbies I have had. I am a deal seeker so usually my escape from something I am unhappy with is knowing that I can likely get all or most of my money back if I resell.

In the past I have bought clubs without trying them. Most of the times it was a mistake and I wasn't happy with the club. Now I always try a club out before I even consider buying it. I'm lucky enough to have many golf store locations in the area, so there's no reason for me to buy without trying first.

That is not for me. I have to see, feel, swing, hold etc. I am very critical when it comes to clubs. It has to be the right feel and fit for my game before I will put it in the bag. Evidenced by the fact that I still game Tommy Armour 845's. I take my game seriously and couldn't begin to imagine just blindly purchasing golf clubs just because they are "New".

I would never buy them sight unseen. I am considering the Nike covert, but no way am I trashing my G20 without trying this bad boy out.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Back