TaylorMade MAT-T system

ezellmer

Reaction score
Handicap
So tomorrow I will be having a session with the TaylorMade MAT-T system at the TM player development center in Madison, WI.

Should be interesting. I love most everything in my bag but am considering a set of SpeedBlades for next year. I reached my goal this year of shooting sub 80, which I did 3 times. Trying to fine tune the game and equipment for a more consistent and repeatable swing in 2014. Any suggestions or comments? I will report back after my experience.

I have had both lessons and fittings there.
While I have preferred other places and systems more, it certainly does a fine job and is pretty accurate.

I have not done this but had a friend get this done at their location near Atlanta. The only thing that he told me was don't let the images of your swing freak you out and give you the mind set of needing to alter everything right there. When he saw his swing he saw some things he didn't like and tried to change them during his fitting which caused some issues he had to go back and get fixed. Hope you have a great time and good luck towards your continued success on the links.

OK, had the 2 hour appointment for a look at my swing and fitting. Lots of data and very interesting at that. I have some great feedback as far as what to work on and had a few specific questions answered that will help me be more confident at address and be more consistent.

As to equipment, it was very enlightening. Long story short due to my tempo and path the recommendation is for heavier shafts in my irons and hybrids and a lower spinning shaft in my R1. I got to swing the Speedblades with the Dynamic Gold SuperLite in stiff and it really suits me. Also put the TP shaft in the R1 in stiff and got some ridiculously high smash factor numbers. The nice thing was that after the analysis they open the big garage door and you can hit out onto the range to see the flight to go with the launch angle and spin numbers. I had a great time and wow are my arms wrecked. I would highly recommend it.

OK, had the 2 hour appointment for a look at my swing and fitting. Lots of data and very interesting at that. I have some great feedback as far as what to work on and had a few specific questions answered that will help me be more confident at address and be more consistent.

As to equipment, it was very enlightening. Long story short due to my tempo and path the recommendation is for heavier shafts in my irons and hybrids and a lower spinning shaft in my R1. I got to swing the Speedblades with the Dynamic Gold SuperLite in stiff and it really suits me. Also put the TP shaft in the R1 in stiff and got some ridiculously high smash factor numbers. The nice thing was that after the analysis they open the big garage door and you can hit out onto the range to see the flight to go with the launch angle and spin numbers. I had a great time and wow are my arms wrecked. I would highly recommend it.

I went through the MAT-T fitting at TPC Sawgrass with Avery Reed and it was a huge eye opener. Great experience and like you I highly recommend it.

First, Congrats on breaking 80, that is a big deal. It took me five years to do it a second time. Getting fit is also a big deal, good for you in getting it done.

Your smash factor comment is odd to me. Smash factor is the ratio of ball speed to club head speed and is almost entirely if not entirely dependent on hitting the sweet spot on the club, the shaft should not make any difference other than a shorter shaft should increase the likelihood of flush contact. Optimal smash factor numbers are right at 1.5 or a ball speed one and a half times faster than your swing (club head) speed. Ball and COR restrictions are what cap the smash factor.

Yeah, I don't know the correlation or if it was just luck. Smash factor with 55 g shaft was about 1.46. Had a couple 1.49s with the 65 g shaft. The heavier shafts he was recommending were seemingly keeping my swing in the groove better, better tempo etc.

You mentioned in another thread that the tp shaft dropped your spin numbers by about 800 rpm compared to the 55g. Do you know what your launch angle and spin numbers were with both shafts? I'm curious because I got my hands on the 65 and am going to compare it with the 55.

Yeah, I don't know the correlation or if it was just luck. Smash factor with 55 g shaft was about 1.46. Had a couple 1.49s with the 65 g shaft. The heavier shafts he was recommending were seemingly keeping my swing in the groove better, better tempo etc.

Heavier shafts seem to reduce my tendency to redirect the club on the down swing. I wonder if club makers have done any research on the benefits of heavier shafts. Maybe we will see someone go the other way and offer up heavier rather than lighter clubs. The challenge is it is easy to market "Lighter is faster means longer" even though flush (1.5 smash factor) at 100mph beats a miss (+/- 1/4 inch an 1.2 smash factor) at 110 mph.

The Taylormade performance lab about a half hour north of me has a Black Friday special $60 for analysis/fitting think I need to do it.

That is a deal, get off the forum and go to it!

Back