Club color schemes: Do they impact your buying decision?

Erky

Reaction score
I am looking through the various Taylor Made threads, and thinking about how I like the new color scheme they have going on. I bought the RocketBladez last year even though I am not a fan of the black and yellow color scheme. I hate the accessories for the line (bags, hats, etc.). I remember HATING the way my Ping i3s looked with the black and bronze color scheme. In the end it's all performance, but I have to say that one thing I really like about Cobra is the opportunity to pick colors. What about you guys?

I really like a lot of the new color schemes out there today. I've always been more of a chrome/black guy but the idea that with cobra you can really dress up your bag is very cool. Good thread!

Do you remember when the white driver was previewed? Everybody laughed and mocked it.
One of the best marketing decisions in the history of the golf industry.
For every one person that says they dont like the white, there are 20 more that are at the register because they saw it on TV.

It does to a small degree. As long as the color aren't to crazy or different.

Not a primary factor but definitely a secondary one.

X Hot and Covert were similar price and performance when I tested, the covert candy apple red is so gorgeous, that swung the decision (even tho it's benched right now!).

Altitudes are boring but outperformed everything else so colour didn't come in to it.

I do like the visual effect of the white driver for some reason and I never thought I would. I have always felt that the shape matters more than the color anyway, especially with woods and putters.

Yes. I would think a lot of people would have to like the looks of the club in order to have confidence in it.

Do you remember when the white driver was previewed? Everybody laughed and mocked it.
One of the best marketing decisions in the history of the golf industry.
For every one person that says they dont like the white, there are 20 more that are at the register because they saw it on TV.

Thats funny, I was one of those guys that thought it was stupid and here I love the color scheme of the R1, I think it looks great.

Not really. I can appreciate a good looking club, but I'll put an ugly duckling in the bag. Case in point - Covert Tour hybrid. Funky shape and cherry red, but it's the anti-hook hybrid for me.

The graphics on the crown of a wood can affect my decision, outside of that it plays little to no roll.

I would love to say that the color schemes don't matter to me. But in reality, they do to an extent. I want them my clubs to look good with their colors. I don't need everything to match. Just look good

Not really but if it works and happens to be red & black, that's a bonus.

I personally like all the color. I like that the OEM's realize they have a younger demographic (30-40) with spending power. You have to put out not only quality products that will perform, but also be aesthetically appealing. One reason I bagged the Cobra AMP Cell was not just performance, but the color options were a great selling point.

It's definitely a factor for me, but performance overrides looks. Case in point is the R1. I couldn't stand the look of that driver when I first saw it, but then I started hitting it and really like it. Now, both color schemes (the black and white) have grown on me. But I will day I try to make the better looking clubs work a little more for me and will more quickly dismiss uglier clubs if I'm not hitting them well.

I certainly don't want ugly clubs. I have owned 1 white driver, but the rest have been black. I'm not too particular, but I don't see myself gaming a yellow driver, or anything. Paintfill, on the other hand, can always be easily fixed.

Looks and design of a club is certainly a factor for me. I have long said "game what works" and I am a firm believer of that thought when it comes to the game. However, to say that attractive clubs or design on a club doesnt factor in on my buying decision would be a false statement.

If I lived by the though process of "go with what works" only, I would spend my life in sweatpants and a tshirt.

Looks and design of a club is certainly a factor for me. I have long said "game what works" and I am a firm believer of that thought when it comes to the game. However, to say that attractive clubs or design on a club doesnt factor in on my buying decision would be a false statement.

If I lived by the though process of "go with what works" only, I would spend my life in sweatpants and a tshirt.

I do find it interesting how many times I see "I would game whatever lowers my scores." Then exceptions like SGI designs, big mallet putters, or goofy driver designs seem to come up immediately.

I don't necessarily think that the color scheme of the club is the ultimate deciding factor for me. But then again, who doesn't want a good looking club.

i think so much of the game is psychological, that looks absolutely play an important aspect in my club choosing. I don't care if it's technically the most amazing club every created, if when you're standing over it, you hate the look...it's going to affect your swing, which plays a much bigger part that technology, in my humble, 20 handicap, opinion...

Looks are definitely a factor for me. My i20 woods were targeted at better players, but they looked so cool all blacked out that I just had to give them a shot.

To a small extent, but it would be 5th or 6th on my list of reasons to buy or not to buy a club.

Definitely a factor. I like to tell myself that I'm more concerned about performance, but I do care about looks as well. Only club that I still don't like looking at is the Stage 2. Other than that, I've gotten used to pretty much everything I've bought that wasn't the standard black wood or traditional iron/wedge. I think that all of the new color options are pretty cool. As long as there's still traditional options I think everyone should be happy.

The color doesn't really bother me too much, but I wish I would have held out for the black R1. That looks really slick. The only thing that has ever bothered me about a club was the yellow head covers for the RBZ stage 2 drivers, those are bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The color doesn't really bother me too much, but I wish I would have held out for the black R1. That looks really slick. The only thing that has ever bothered me about a club was the yellow head covers for the RBZ stage 2 drivers, those are bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny I got my R1 from a friend who played one round with it and didn't like it and gave me a killer deal. It's the black one a lot of people prefer but I like the look of the white one better.

Back