Need 21° club ... 3 hybrid or 7 wood ?

Hybrid for all the reasons previously mentioned. It's just more versatile in my experience.

I have a 3 hybrid and will for sometime going forward, just due to the easy of which I'm able to hit it. There's nothing wrong with a 7 wood, just a personal preference in my opinion. Think the main part about having the 3 hybrid (over a 7 wood) for me, comes down to work ability. Most hybrids are easier to hit due to the size and shape, than a 7 wood with the fairway wood type of design and sole...in most cases.

Hybrid for me. Easier to work with since it's shorter and a smaller head.

This is where I'm at although I'm still a 3 wood & 5 wood guy but hybrids from there. It is all about distance gaps and filling those gaps to fit ones game. Go with what works best for you.

I carried a 7 wood for a long time but made the switch to a 3 hybrid this year. The hybrid is more versatile to me and I finally found one that I could hit really well (XHot).

I am torn on this right now. I thought I was all set to go with a 4 wood and then 3 hybo but lately the thought of a 20* wood appeals to me.
Today's 7 wood is last years 5 wood so I don't think the thought of a 7 wood is crazy at all.

I am torn on this right now. I thought I was all set to go with a 4 wood and then 3 hybo but lately the thought of a 20* wood appeals to me.
Today's 7 wood is last years 5 wood so I don't think the thought of a 7 wood is crazy at all.

Try them both. Personally, my 7w is a 21 degree fairway. If I recall, most are in that 20-21 degree as well so a degree in the grand scheme of things won't do much. Apples to apples comparison, see what gives you the better numbers for carry and accuracy, but also height. Either club do you no good if the max height is too low and you're just hitting screamers.

I've owned several 7Ws and a slew of 20ish hybrids (both that looked like mini-fws and mini-irons). I think it comes down to the use cases. Here's how I break it out:
- 7W: best off the tee (for me) due to the large head and high/soft ball flight. Highest ball flight. Worst out of a thin or undulating lie due to the bigger head and longest shaft.
- 3H that looks like a mini-fairway: All around performer. Sort of a mix of everything. For whatever reason, I am the worst with this off of the tee. It's typically easy to get the ball up in the air from the deck. Lower ball flight and more roll out than a FW.
- 3H that looks like an iron: Better in situations where irons shine. Lower ball flight, but also typically straighter than the fairway styled hybrids. These typically balloon some and stop rather quickly.

I'd suggest thinking about your particular use cases and going from there.

There are also some 7 woods that play a lot like a hybrid. The Mashie is one such club. Basically you are getting a hybrid head with a little bit longer shaft. To me, this is kind of the worst of all worlds, but for some it might be perfect.

Try them both. Personally, my 7w is a 21 degree fairway. If I recall, most are in that 20-21 degree as well so a degree in the grand scheme of things won't do much. Apples to apples comparison, see what gives you the better numbers for carry and accuracy, but also height. Either club do you no good if the max height is too low and you're just hitting screamers.

In the little testing I've done I find the 7 woods fly higher and land softer than their 3 hybo counterparts. This could be due to I'll fitted hybrids or the nature of the two different clubs...I'm not sure.

In the little testing I've done I find the 7 woods fly higher and land softer than their 3 hybo counterparts. This could be due to I'll fitted hybrids or the nature of the two different clubs...I'm not sure.

They usually do for me as well. I can't remember the publication but that seemed to be the general consensus that the fw was just a little longer and got a higher ball flight. It's a very case by case basis for people though.

Thanks everybody for the intel ... based on the reports, I think I'd do better with a 7 wood off the tee & off nice lies, but would do better with a hybo for accurate pin seeking approaches and the occasional out of the rough hero shot.

Leaning 7w ... much pondering to follow however.

I think I may need to delve into this a bit more this year. Since the last time I hit a 7W, it seemed like the hybrid landed a little softer, but then, it's been quite a while since I hit one. Would be interesting to see if I could make things easier on myself with a 7W, although my 22* XHot hybrid is a freaking money club right now, so it would have big shoes to fill.

I think I may need to delve into this a bit more this year. Since the last time I hit a 7W, it seemed like the hybrid landed a little softer, but then, it's been quite a while since I hit one. Would be interesting to see if I could make things easier on myself with a 7W, although my 22* XHot hybrid is a freaking money club right now, so it would have big shoes to fill.
You shouldn't even entertain thoughts about swapping out your Xhot. You are automatic from 200 with that thing...don't tempt fate.

You shouldn't even entertain thoughts about swapping out your Xhot. You are automatic from 200 with that thing...don't tempt fate.

Yeah, I think after pondering on it a bit, I'm more interested in the possibility of a 4 or 5 wood vs. my 18* hybrid. I hit my Mashie 18* well, but I think I hit the Mashie 3W even better so a wood in that slot could be epic.

Yeah, I think after pondering on it a bit, I'm more interested in the possibility of a 4 or 5 wood vs. my 18* hybrid. I hit my Mashie 18* well, but I think I hit the Mashie 3W even better so a wood in that slot could be epic.

If you like the Mashie line I have a F7 that could be yours for a cheap experiment.

Could be for sure, and I've seen you wail on that Mashie 3W. I'm leaning towards a 4/7 wood combo but it seems to change after every round or range session. If I go with the Baffler XL's in order to go 16* and then 20* it will be a 3W/7W combo, but I think I'll just have 3/4" chopped off the 3 wood to make it a 4W.

If you like the Mashie line I have a F7 that could be yours for a cheap experiment.

I do, especially the fairways, but I think I'd like to hit my local shop first and hit some 5 and 7 woods to see what kind of loft would work for my gapping. Thanks though bud, I will definitely keep that in mind! :clapp:

Could be for sure, and I've seen you wail on that Mashie 3W. I'm leaning towards a 4/7 wood combo but it seems to change after every round or range session. If I go with the Baffler XL's in order to go 16* and then 20* it will be a 3W/7W combo, but I think I'll just have 3/4" chopped off the 3 wood to make it a 4W.

Yeah man. Nice thing about the Mashie fairways vs. hybos is they have less offset too, so they tend to behave a little better with regard to aim. The hybos have a tendency to hook sometimes, especially if you get after it - the shaft responds much better to a smoother swing. Soft tip C.Kua shaft + offset + aggressive swing = hook machine

Sounds like a solid idea. I find that most fairways, especially 3W's, come stock with a shaft that's too long for my liking anyways, so it's never a bad plan to hack off a bit of length on those. Baffler XL's look sweet man, I bet you'd crush them!

hit a 7 wood & hybrid of the same loft at lunch hour ... biggest difference is shaft length - 7 wood is about an inch and a half longer. Seems tougher to hit - I suspect this may be the main reason hybrids have gained such popularity ... similar performance from a shorter, easier to hit club. Leaning hybrid now ...

For me a 7 wood is very easy to hit. I have not found a hybrid that I don't hook. Woods have a longer shaft and are normally flatter which fits my swing better.

Ill harp versatility as some others have before, I lean hybrid for the varying lies I run into on my long hikes up down left and right on the course but I can see the temptation for a 7w

I played 1 4 7 for a while, and now I'm playing 1 3 5 7. I mash my Cleveland launcher 7 wood, and it has a nice small head I don't mind hitting from anywhere. Before I recently picked up my 3/5 woods I went in looking for anything in the 17 degree range, and was suggested a fw not a hybrid. I hit a few hybrids and fws that day and defiantly hit the fws straighter and further.

First, let me say hitting out of the rough is not even a consideration for a 21° club where my game is at ... I take my medicine & stick to irons for getting out of the rough. For nice juicy fairway lies or tee shots, what would be your preference in a 21° club if you couldn't use a 3 iron ... a hybrid (3h) or fairway (7w) - and most importantly, WHY ?

Side note, I'm not sure why 7 woods seem to get a bad rap nowdays (almost seems like they're marketed as ladies or seniors clubs) ... seem very easy to hit off the fairway & especially off the tee in my experience, but often not as long as like-lofted hybrids I've hit. Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Ive tried A LOT of hybrids and have settled on the Ping Anser. Try one if you haven't!

Ive tried A LOT of hybrids and have settled on the Ping Anser. Try one if you haven't!

What about it do you like? I've never tried one but maybe I should.

What gap are you trying to fill?

What gap are you trying to fill?

First, let me say hitting out of the rough is not even a consideration for a 21° club where my game is at ... I take my medicine & stick to irons for getting out of the rough. For nice juicy fairway lies or tee shots, what would be your preference in a 21° club if you couldn't use a 3 iron ... a hybrid (3h) or fairway (7w) - and most importantly, WHY ?

Side note, I'm not sure why 7 woods seem to get a bad rap nowdays (almost seems like they're marketed as ladies or seniors clubs) ... seem very easy to hit off the fairway & especially off the tee in my experience, but often not as long as like-lofted hybrids I've hit. Thoughts ?

Thanks !

I'm surprised that only 1 or 2 guys answered your question the way I would have -- with a question. What gap are you trying to fill? Or, what shot do you want to hit?

I currently hit a 21° club. It's a High Launching 5 wood because I needed to fill a gap between my 250 yard HL 3 wood and my 220 yard 4 iron. Recognizing that most of the time I would be using that club would be in situations where I was shooting at greens, I wanted to get that 235 shot up in the air in order to get over hazards and have a chance to check and hold. So I chose the RBZ Stage2 5hl which hits towering shots that drop and stop.

That's what I did, but if my gap was different, or I needed to hit a different type of shot on a consistent basis, I'd choose a different solution. What's your gap?

Last edited:
I like the 7-wood. I've been carrying one for a couple of years now and it is an awesome club. I find it easier to hit than a 3-hybrid, primarily because the larger mass of the fairway wood and the low center of gravity makes the club more forgiving than a 3-hybrid, and it's also easier to get the ball up in the air when you need to. I often hit it when I have to carry over trees and still need good distance. One of my favorite clubs.

Hybrid for me. The one I play is the first I've owned and I love it. It's awesome off the tee, playing low shots from under trees etc, into greens and the list goes on. I've never played a 7w but I doubt they'd be as versatile as a hybrid.

Back