Need 21° club ... 3 hybrid or 7 wood ?

I'm surprised that only 1 or 2 guys answered your question the way I would have -- with a question. What gap are you trying to fill? Or, what shot do you want to hit?

I currently hit a 21° club. It's a High Launching 5 wood because I needed to fill a gap between my 250 yard HL 3 wood and my 220 yard 4 iron. Recognizing that most of the time I would be using that club would be in situations where I was shooting at greens, I wanted to get that 235 shot up in the air in order to get over hazards and have a chance to check and hold.

That's what I did, but if my gap was different, or I needed to hit a different type of shot on a consistent basis, I'd choose a different solution. What's your gap?

its pretty basic - I'm not a long hitter. Hit my 4 hybrid around 180 & my 3 wood around 215. Just looking for a 200 yard club that fits my swing & is easy to hit (I really like hitting my 3 wood - put a lot of time on it this past year & actually look forward to pulling it for fairway shots now). I just think the right 7 wood would give me more distance & confidence off the tee ... was just surprised how long the shaft is compared to like hybrids - would take some getting used to & would have to swing it like my 3 wood (which isn't a bad thing)...

FYI ... my 18° 3 iron is actually a 2 iron by traditional standards, and I use it as a driving iron ... I'm very inconsistent with it with anything but tee & punch out shots (its ridiculous long off the tee though & much more accurate than my 3 wood, which is why I would like to keep it in the bag for tight mountain courses).

its pretty basic - I'm not a long hitter. Hit my 4 hybrid around 180 & my 3 wood around 215. Just looking for a 200 yard club that fits my swing & is easy to hit (I really like hitting my 3 wood - put a lot of time on it this past year & actually look forward to pulling it for fairway shots now). I just think the right 7 wood would give me more distance & confidence off the tee ... was just surprised how long the shaft is compared to like hybrids - would take some getting used to & would have to swing it like my 3 wood (which isn't a bad thing)...

FYI ... my 18° 3 iron is actually a 2 iron by traditional standards, and I use it as a driving iron ... I'm very inconsistent with it with anything but tee & punch out shots (its ridiculous long off the tee though & much more accurate than my 3 wood, which is why I would like to keep it in the bag for tight mountain courses).

Okay, now I'm hearing you. Let me say that I have hit and tested 7 woods and 3&4 hybrids for similar gap filling problems. Forget about the degrees of the various types of clubs you test. What is 21° in an iron won't behave like a 21 wood or hybrid. Any long iron will be hard for you to hit. A 7 wood will go longer and higher than a hybrid, but a 3H or 4H will be easier to get out of longer rough.

I don't know what you currently hit, but you might want to think about switching irons. A new Game Improvement iron like the Rocketbladez or Speedblades is going to be easier to hit and will give you 10-15 more yards across the board. You might find you can fill that hole with just a regular 4 iron. My 4 iron distance shot up from 200 to 220 with better height and control when I switched. I have no need for a 3 iron anymore.

Bah. I am just so torn on which direction I want to go. There are so many ways to setup a bag and its tough to commit to one.

Hybrid. Why? Because I carry 3 of them and they work wonderfully. The longest iron in my bag is a 6. Not as manly as pulling out my 4-iron on the tee, I guess, but the results are a lot better.

What about it do you like? I've never tried one but maybe I should.

To me I like the Anser for three reasons:
1. It isn't left bias like most hybrids
2. Near perfect trajectory, not too high to balloon
3. It goes farther than I can hit my 3 iron, and it's more forgiving :)

Back