Good forum etiquette?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are some of the best tips you can give regarding forum etiquette? It's easy to misread the unspoken word, or write something that is misrepresented or misunderstood, heck sometimes people just write stuff to be nasty. Is it to involve the new comer? Is it to only post in certain threads? Maybe never get upset?

What do you think?

If you're joking, add a "hehe" or a smiley, just to make sure readers know your intent is humor.

The biggest thing to me is:

If someone disagrees with your opinions, it's not a person attack on you. Keep an open mind and have a willingness to learn. There are a ton of false preconceived notions about golf equipment and the game in general, so don't take anything personal if you just so happen to fall victim to one and it gets pointed out.

I think a good rule of thumb is to never immediately jump on what someone has said in negative way. Like you said tone is one thing that is very hard to tell over the internet. There are people out there who do post stuff to cause an uproar and if you continually see this from certain members do not hesitate to PM a forum moderator or member of THP staff.

As for the new comer, just remember when you were a new comer. It's much easier to get people to get and stay active in the community when they feel like they are being heard.

Keep it clean and have fun.

Exactly blu. You gotta let people know when you are ribbing them. Emoticons and hehe's are not used enough. Unless you're Ole Gray! :eyepoke:

And yes trout, making new folks feel welcome is very good etiquette.

Post in any thread that interests you. Everyone uses THP differently, so if you find a thread you like, post away!

Never getting upset is impossible. Maybe taking things to PM with the person might be a better option than having a pissing match in a thread.

Just be respectful of other people's opinions and ideas. I have to say the forum is much better over the last year. I used to double think my posts for fear of ridicule or bashing. The current staff / mods are the best since I've been here.

Just be respectful of other people's opinions and ideas. I have to say the forum is much better over the last year. I used to double think my posts for fear of ridicule or bashing. The current staff / mods are the best since I've been here.

Totally agree Canes, it's a good friendly crew.

I will say that this is one of the least troublesome forums I have ever been on. Have not seen too much strife and that is a credit to our membership and the staff. It's a loaded response, but I try to only say what I would say to someone's face. For some, I know that means no limits :act-up: but I guess it all just boils down to good manners. The emoticon suggestion is a good one and if we think about it, that's probably what they were introduced.... To convey emotion....in the online written word. They can be over used I guess though :alien:

JM

:alien: <------- This guy is everyones best friend.

Thanks dude, we try to keep it enjoyable.

If you're not sure you if you should say it, DON"T!

Quit kissing tail, it's not becoming!

You have no idea how happy that makes us to hear that

:alien: <------- This guy is everyones best friend.

that guy and Playdough of course

If you're going to actively troll someone, add [blutroll][/blutroll] tags to the post.

Simple, READ what you are about to post. Prevents a lot of issues as sometimes knee jerk post can come off much more aggressive than the author intends. Text doesn't allow for the transmission of tone as one may intend it, so read it before you post it.

That's the biggest thing I do before every post.

If you're going to actively troll someone, add [blutroll][/blutroll] tags to the post.

Better yet, just don't troll anyone at all.

Being tactful is also good forum etiquette. Disagreeing with someone is fine. Being a D-bag while disagreeing kinda ruins the response and removes any good info that could have been in there

It is not an issue, and should not be, to state your opinion if you disagree with something somebody has posted. As others have posted, your opinion should be stated in a tactful, non-attacking manner because the person you are disagreeing with has a right to their opinion just as you do. Most of all, keep it fun, clean and respectful and THP will continue to be the best darn golf forum PERIOD!

Bingo, there's the million dollar word, tact. It goes a long way not just on forum but in life as well!

One of my forum pet peeves is people posting spoilers in a thread not dedicated to whatever they are spoiling. Most of the time it is sports-related. Just remember we have threads for golf tournaments, college and pro football, soccer, baseball and even many TV shows. People who are avoiding a thread because they are watching a recorded version of the game/show/event don't want to see the result in some random thread.

Another is GLWS. Marketplace ads are not banter threads. If it needs a bump, that's the OP's job.

It's also important to understand that sometimes an opinion is simply factually incorrect. If someone. Self-awareness is invaluable.

Say good luck "everyone" instead of gentlemen, guys, etc. It's tough being a gal living in a guy's world sometimes. :alien:

Seriously, I've never had a dispute with anyone on here because I don't like drama in my life, especially from an online forum. I've seen a lot of posts that I wish had been handled differently. If something is bothering me enough, I will deal directly with that person and it's amazing how easily things get resolved with open and honest discussion.

People are people and we aren't always going to agree. It's all about the delivery. THINK before you post. Yes, OG has heard this from me many times over.

Back