Shanking short pitches!

GenErr

Reaction score
30 yards and in, doesn't matter what club I use, LW, SW, UW, I've been shanking the ball! I've had this problem with my irons on and off over the last 40 years, but recently its infected my short game. I thought I was decelerating on the downswing, but even concentrating on accelerating hasn't helped. Any thoughts or tips? thanks in advance.

Are you missing in on the hosel of your wedge?

Is it hosel or toe? Then maybe look at how close/far away from the ball u are at address.

You may be accelerating, but are you accelerating by dragging the club head through the ball or are you flipping your wrists. Most of the time I see my friends shank short pitches/iron shots it is because they get way too wristy and try do flip the ball in the air rather than pulling the club head through the hitting area and letting the loft of the club face and bounce of the sole do the work

You may be accelerating, but are you accelerating by dragging the club head through the ball or are you flipping your wrists. Most of the time I see my friends shank short pitches/iron shots it is because they get way too wristy and try do flip the ball in the air rather than pulling the club head through the hitting area and letting the loft of the club face and bounce of the sole do the work

well said...I was about to write something similar, glad i read the replies first

I went through this exact problem earlier in the year. I was bringing the club way too far inside on my backswing. Concentrating on bringing the club straight back fixed it nearly instantly. I'll still do it every once in a while, but it's an instant reminder not to bring the club so far inside.

I used to have a similar problem and it was because I was swinging severely in to out. This might not be your problem but something to think about.

I went through this exact problem earlier in the year. I was bringing the club way too far inside on my backswing. Concentrating on bringing the club straight back fixed it nearly instantly. I'll still do it every once in a while, but it's an instant reminder not to bring the club so far inside.

Great minds think alike?

Moved to Swing Tips w/Freddie Kong.

Thanks to all who replied - much appreciated. The ball is coming off the hosel. Looking for some tips or practice techniques that I can do to help correct this.

I hope you get this fixed man, I've gone through this myself and it's awful! It got to the point where I had the yips with a wedge in my hand!

I figured out that I was rolling my wrists open the second I took the club back thus opening the blade of the wedge and never returning it to square again. That's what it was for me, hopefully you can get this straightened out!!

Shanks are horrible and unexplainable. But chnaces are you too close to the ball. setting the club on the way back with a slight shift forward on the downswing. This is causing the blade to stay open and you're leading with the hosel of the club. You may alos be taking the club to far to the inside which can also cause one to lead with the hosel.

I would setup to the ball and take a few practice swings, paying close attention to where the club brushes the grass. This is you bottomming out point of the chip and where the ball should be place relative to your stance. Be sure the weight on the left side and take the club stright back. Not outside the line or inside but back. Keep the wrist firm and infront of the ball. This should fix what ails you. If you still have issues, hit me back. But I just cured my dad of the chili peppars with this exact same piece of advice. He carried it over to the rest of his clubs and hit every green and all but one fairway, no shanks.
30 yards and in, doesn't matter what club I use, LW, SW, UW, I've been shanking the ball! I've had this problem with my irons on and off over the last 40 years, but recently its infected my short game. I thought I was decelerating on the downswing, but even concentrating on accelerating hasn't helped. Any thoughts or tips? thanks in advance.

Thanks to all who replied - much appreciated. The ball is coming off the hosel. Looking for some tips or practice techniques that I can do to help correct this.

I do not often suffer with the shanks but it happened to me 3 times in one round 2 years ago, there have been times where I might hit one in a round but not 3, my playing partners looked at me like I was possessed since they had never seen me do that so many times in 1 round. I went to the range a couple of days after and worked on nothing but wedges, full shots and partial shots. I hit about 100 balls total but I figured out what my issue was after about 10 shots, a few of which were shanks. I was putting too much weight out towards my toes on my downswing which caused me to bring the hosel closer to the ball. Focusing on my balance solved the problem, I am happy to say that I have not had a problem since. Good luck, you will solve this.

Back