2014 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
It's an annual tradition: we get to enjoy some primetime golf right after New Year's on a fabulous course, while most of us are insanely jealous of everyone out there because we're dealing at a bunch of snow and cold temperatures. Nevertheless, I love this tournament: the course is one of my absolute favorites on Tour, the field is usually pretty good even though it's limited to winners from the previous year, and it's live golf on TV during the evenings.

There's a Monday finish for this tournament, with the final round set to end before the start of the BCS title game on Monday night. Hopefully there aren't issues with the wind like last year that caused multiple delays.

Full field is listed below. Expect a ton of coverage of the final pairing in Round 1: Dustin Johnson and Adam Scott.

Complete pairings and tee times for the 30-man, no-cut Hyundai Tournament of Champions on the Plantation Course at Kapalua in Hawaii (all times local):

10:30 a.m.: Derek Ernst, Woody Austin

10:40 a.m.: Martin Laird, Scott Brown

10:50 a.m.: Ken Duke, Sang-Moon Bae

11:00 a.m.: Brian Gay, Michael Thompson

11:10 a.m.: Jonas Blixt, Patrick Reed

11:20 a.m.: Russell Henley, Ryan Moore

11:30 a.m.: Jimmy Walker, John Merrick

11:40 a.m.: Harris English, Chris Kirk

11:50 a.m.: Boo Weekley, D.A. Points

12:00 p.m.: Bill Haas, Kevin Streelman

12:10 p.m.: Jason Dufner, Gary Woodland

12:20 p.m.: Brandt Snedeker, Billy Horschel

12:30 p.m.: Jordan Spieth, Webb Simpson

12:40 p.m.: Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar

12:50 p.m.: Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott

Some awesome groups at the tail end of that. I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch a lot of golf on TV (I'm usually out of the house on weekends), but being in a fantasy golf league this upcoming year has me way more interested already than I normally would be.

I love watching golf at this course, huge drives are the norm and the views they show are beautiful. Great golf will be played.

Good to see DJ will play. That's the group I want to watch tonight.

I think we all want to add Kapalua to the ole bucket list of courses!!

Watched some of the coverage last night & they did focus a lot on Adam Scott.

The best thing was the really uncomfortable coverage with Blixt. He was either really nervous in front of the camera or he was trying to be funny & the guy doing the interview didn't get it.

Prime time golf for us on the east coast. I love the Hawaii and West Coast swings.

I'm thinking Scott is going to win this week. Was playing in great form the last couple of months.

Now we're talking, finally some real golf being played! This is always a fun tournament to watch and I love live golf in primetime TV!

So happy to have some golf back on, especially with it being in prime time.

I look for either Adam Scott or new Callaway staffer Harris English to take the title this week

KG

Just Tapping Away

With all the big names in this it's a shame the networks are only giving it a total of 1 measly hour over the weekend, NBC, Sunday 3-4pm.

I'm watching on TGC right now. I love Hawaii.

Last edited:
I'm liking the dufner woodland pairing as well. Should be some fun golf to watch.

Now we're talking, finally some real golf being played! This is always a fun tournament to watch and I love live golf in primetime TV!

Thinking the same thing, big names, awesome course and prime time!

I'm liking the dufner woodland pairing as well. Should be some fun golf to watch.

It was funny. They were interviewing players on the course last night and marveling at how far they were hitting the ball. When they interviewed Woodland, they didn't stick around to watch him hit. Just moved on to another interview. Is there anyone else on tour you would rather watch hit that tee shot?

I am looking so forward to watch this.

Love that golf is back on. I do a lot of fantasy golf but it is fun to watch and hear the interviews. Based on the interviews that they've been doing at the pro-am I'm a big fan of billy horschel, I hope he wins a major this year.

yeah blixt cracked me up, whatever it was it was awkward and hilarious.

When I can watch golf being played in sunny warm conditions with green grass, as opposed to what I see outside my window right now, it is all good.

I was just telling my wife last night, it seems like once this tournament is on it finally feels like the season of golf is starting, I know the 2014 season already has, but to me it's now official!

So sweet watching golf while there is snow and temps in the single digits outside.

Watching it now on the golf channel. I'm pulling for a dark horse to do well. Russell Henley who won his first pro tournament last year and comes from my old home town Macon, Ga. He also took lessons from the same golf coach KellyBo took from when he was in high school at Straford Academy.

Looks like DJ is good to go!
DJ ready to go for his opener at the Hyundai

1249.jpg

Dustin Johnson expects to be fine as he sets his sights on defending his title at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions.

DJ withdrew from Thursday's Pro-Am due to a neck injury. He cited that he "slept weird on it," but the treatment he's received since will allow him to peg it with confidence at 12:50 p.m. local time [5:50 p.m. ET] today. "I went and got some medicine, I started taking them [Wednesday] night, so it's definitely helped," Johnson said on Thursday. "The aggravation has gone down severely, and Coach (Chris) Noss, my trainer has been working on it, and it's feeling a lot better right now." Johnson has a concerning penchant for injuries to his back, and now neck, but he's recovered in the long-term. Only one-and-doners that don't exclude defending champions should think twice about investing this week.
Source: PGATOUR.com
Jan 3 - 2:44 PM

DJ not playing all that great but still level. Man how good would this guy be if he had a decent short game. He would be frightening.

I love this tournament because it does signify this beginning of the golf season, even though it is supposed to snow here this weekend. My intial reactions to this tournament so far are that Jordan Speith didn't lose a step, Dufner is striking the ball well, and the Johsnon's both have work to do to get a top the leader board.

The player intros on the first tee with the video is pretty cool. Kinda like the Sunday night football intro. Something different.

Back