The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that's great dude! I've really wanted to try out that Orange Whip since Jake reviewed it.

I think I'm going to try to get 9 holes in after school today. Not trying to score, but working on making my swing a bit longer while still hitting it solid. Trying to add some distance as that has been lacking from my game lately.

Went alright. I was swinging well and my swing felt longer and more fluid. Making solid contact. The ball just didn't fly as far as usual which I blame on the ball and the cold weather. I'm starting to like this new swing I've adopted recently.

I make more swing changes than anyone I know.

Went alright. I was swinging well and my swing felt longer and more fluid. Making solid contact. The ball just didn't fly as far as usual which I blame on the ball and the cold weather. I'm starting to like this new swing I've adopted recently.

I make more swing changes than anyone I know.

What's the new swing, Damaikis? I agree that it's hard to judge distance this time of year. I know that my carry is lower, but the ball rolls more.

It's 15° and snowing outside, so I am left only to putt at my condo...and take swings in the mirror to check my positions while having my girlfriend yell that "I am going to hit the floor and ruin it". Hardwood floors = I will be prepared for Augusta if I ever get the play. IIRC, Tiger putter in the Stanford gym to prepare for Augusta his first time?

What's the new swing, Damaikis? I agree that it's hard to judge distance this time of year. I know that my carry is lower, but the ball rolls more.

Keeping my posture better through the swing. Accuracy with the driver is down but ball striking is up. If I can add 10 or 15 yards to it I'll be happy with my swing and leave it be for a while.

I just got done with a 90 minute practice session. About 30 of it was driver only and the rest was irons and drills. Taking my time, trying hard to stay smooth and loose. Paying off for me and I'm feeling high on life right now. I really feel like I've accomplished something in the last month in terms of consistent contact and power in my irons. Driver remains a work in progress in that I just don't have that same sort of comfort zone, but it's better than it was a month ago. Just going to keep focusing on it and hopefully I'll continue to see some improvements.

I just got done with a 90 minute practice session. About 30 of it was driver only and the rest was irons and drills. Taking my time, trying hard to stay smooth and loose. Paying off for me and I'm feeling high on life right now. I really feel like I've accomplished something in the last month in terms of consistent contact and power in my irons. Driver remains a work in progress in that I just don't have that same sort of comfort zone, but it's better than it was a month ago. Just going to keep focusing on it and hopefully I'll continue to see some improvements.

I love hearing these updates buddy. Keep it up

Thank you sir. I just want to go play right now though. You know how that feels I'm sure.

I just started lessons for the first time at GolfTEC. I had my swing evaluation last week and my first lesson and practice session today.

The good news is that my stance is great. The bad news is everything that follows that needs work. So today it was work on a one piece take away and hip shoulder turn.
The good news was that by the end of the lesson my halfway back turn numbers were looking really nice and I wasn't picking the club up on the way back anymore.
Now I just need to get to work practicing.

Well, just threw out 10 balls in my backyard with the driver. Got it worked out I think. Opened stance a bit and taking the club a bit more on the outside to help the in swing to help promote some cut spin. Much better. Frustrating but something to build on. Hope I didn't reach the neighbors.....

The range was packed today so I hit the chipping green for some over due practice. Those 20 yarders were becoming problematic as I was decelerating and hitting it fat and thinning others. So I swapped my PW and started hitting a 8 iron, much better results.
Hit about 100 or so then took my clubs to a buddies house who has his own range.
I was working on compacting my swing as my left arm tends to chicken wing or I cup hard. After 3 hours of very deliberate drills my fade was disappearing and a slight draw came into play a few shots.
Also I worked with my new Fybrid. I set a bucket out to 165 yards and hit 50 balls. I hit the bucket 8 times and had several withing 5 yards.
This dormant Bermuda plays kind of slick so judging what type of impact your going to get is kind of tough for me.

Back at the range today to continue the full swing wedge work. It is coming along very well, but I need to get on the course to get the yardages down. I ran into one issue today and that was I was having a problem getting my 53 588 anywhere near my 54 callaway. Turned out that I had the 56 588 in my hand. Actually end up putting a smile on my face when I realixed how good I was hitting the 56 then.
When I finished with the range, I went to the pratice green to play around with my new purchase. I bought a Seemore M1 and was excited to get it on the green. I need to pracatice with this club to get used to the weight and the milled face. I have always played with an insert putter and I wanted to see what this felt like.

I hit about 80 chip shots today from 15-20 yards with my sand and lob wedge. Good to knock some rust off and get some work in.

I always love having a good range sesh after too long of a break.

Chipped and putted for a little over an hour today. Felt really good about it when I left.

After yesterdays very poor around, I've decided it's time to place a focus on my practice. Starts today with some work on the irons and also some R1 testing.

yrerase7.jpg

I hit a medium bucket this morning & man did it suck. My driver & AW were almost on point but everything in between were oak limbs. I've been playing pretty decent for skill level but with the THP event coming up, it's time to invest in more lessons.
I have so many swing thoughts going through my head, I don't know whether to poop or go blind. I'm completely amazed if I make even decent contact & in shock how bad it is when I don't.
This game is NOT FUN today.

Well, I am absolutely killing the driver which is a great thing. The problem still lies with my irons and overall inconsistencies. I am seeing everything from big chunks to nice thin shots. It is probably a combination of ball position and swing. Regardless, it is definitely time for a lesson.

I hit a medium bucket this morning & man did it suck. My driver & AW were almost on point but everything in between were oak limbs. I've been playing pretty decent for skill level but with the THP event coming up, it's time to invest in more lessons.
I have so many swing thoughts going through my head, I don't know whether to poop or go blind. I'm completely amazed if I make even decent contact & in shock how bad it is when I don't.
This game is NOT FUN today.

Lame! I hate those days. You sound stressed out man. One thing that helps me is to just focus on one feeling/thought for the day. Even something as easy as finishing with your belt buckle pointing at the target might help you lose the overload of swing thoughts. Good luck!

Well, I am absolutely killing the driver which is a great thing. The problem still lies with my irons and overall inconsistencies. I am seeing everything from big chunks to nice thin shots. It is probably a combination of ball position and swing. Regardless, it is definitely time for a lesson.

Do it, Cookie. You're good enough that it could get you back in line pretty quick.

I just did a short 45 minutes today. Nothing new or exciting. Irons were good and driver was so/so. Lesson on Wednesday again.

Hit the range again today. I was excited about getting back out there because of the how great this weeks practices have been. After a few nice easy warm up swings, I started to pick up the pace of the swing with the P wedge. The results were not that great, but I thought it might be the wind effecting my ball flight. But upon reviewing the turf, or the lack of turf, I notice that I am digging deep troughs and loosing serious club head speed. I tried changing to the 54*, then 53*, and finally the 58* and the results were all the same. Could not figure out what I was doing. So, I start hitting bucket #2 I it is a bit better. I proceeded to absolutely crush every club in my bag except the Driver, 3h, and the 8i, because I never took them out of the bag. What I noticed from the first bucket to the second was I was concentrating on aim and target, but not making a full shoulder turn. Once I stopped and just took aim and fired my shoulders through, there it is. Fantastic results from then on. Can' wait to get back at it tomorrow.
Then there was the practice with the new putter. It took a couple of strokes to understand how to putt with this seemore, but I think I have come up with how to get a good line and I believe I may have found how to control my distance with this one. I have not really ever played with a milled putter, only insert putters, so it took some getting used to. It will definitely be a work in progress for a while to get it ingrained and to be comfortable with it.

Which Seemore did you pick up, afw? Sounds like a good practice session for you.

Which Seemore did you pick up, afw? Sounds like a good practice session for you.

Hawk, I picked up an m1 on Ebay. I wanted to give one a try before the Z series was released. I really liked that one in jman's interview from the pga show. I just wanted to party around with it and see what I thought of the rst. Thinking about even going up to OK and seeing Brady about a putting lesson. My problem now is, I don't want to tinker with what I have been working on prior to the dfw invitational.

Right on man. That's a pretty one. Good luck with. I just found out I have a SPi instructor about 80 minutes from me. Might have to make that happen this summer. I know I've worked hard on it using the information I have available to me, but I'm sure a lesson would be so much better. Lots of good stuff in the last testing thread too.

Had a rough spot in the middle of the session today, where I think I was trying to do too much too fast.

I started out good, warmups with 7 and 8 iron were feeling good and getting up well. I fell apart a little when I transitioned to the hybrids. I think I had some shots coming off the toe for some reason, which is not normal for my miss. Went back to the PW for a few shots and came back together. Then I started hitting to targets and working on a slow and easy transition. Contact by the end was okay with, with an occasional thin shot that still had a bit of carry.

I'm looking forward to my next lesson tomorrow after work.

Hit the range today to work on how I am going to approach certain shots on the course I am practicing at. I did my warm up and then started hitting shots like I would have been playing the course. Hit the 3w then six iron approach,which I pushed slightly. Then I hit the pitch to a flag. Not bad. Would have been easy par. Hit my second shot, like I was hitting into #2, which is a par 3, and actually hit it a bit to strong. I was getting ready to hit the chip up to a near by flag when my phone rang. Emergency a the house. END OF THE PRACTICE. The first phone call was my son was stuck at school with no one to come pick him up, I had just cleared it with the wife and she was going to get him. Second call was why she was not there to get him. Our neighbor had fallen and my wife had called the ambulance to get her. She was tending to her until the ambulance left. Then she had to get her girls and pick up our boy. I get home and my house is full of kids. Neighbor boy(1 1/2) from across the street was in the house too. Think my wife was a littgle stressed. By the way, neighbor is still in the hospital getting checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back