Top 5 Drivers of 2013

X-Hot
R1
Fit Xtreme

I know it's only three. Those are the ones that stood out to me.

Cobra Amp Cell
Callaway XHot
Callaway Optiforce 440
Ping G25
Callaway RFE

X Hot
R1
913d

KG

Just Tapping Away

1. Cobra Amp Cell
2. Cobra Amp Cell
3. Cobra Amp Cell
4. Cobra Amp Cell
5. Cobra Amp Cell Pro

Really like these drivers.

1. Cobra Amp Cell
2. Callaway Optiforce
3. Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
4. Yonex I-EZone
5. TaylorMade R1

Hmm, this one makes me think;

1. TaylorMade R1
2. Cobra Amp Cell
3. Cleveland Classic XL
4. Callaway Optiforce
5. Callaway Xhot

R1 was probably the top performer of the group for me, and without a doubt offered me the most consistency off the tee.

1. TEE XCG6 - I love this driver. When I finally convinced myself that I didn't have to kill the ball, it really started to shine. The XCG6 & W/S Duo combo have me finding more fairways with more distance than I've ever had.
2. Wilson Staff D-100 - An absolute mad bomber, but I couldn't control it.
3. Cleveland XL Custom - I liked it quite a bit on days my swing was on, but didn't care for it at all when I was missing the ball horizontally.
4. Amp Cell - It was probably the shaft, but I could never get a great feel from it.
5. Nike Covert - My best swings left me with just avg results distance wise, but it was pretty straight

1. Callaway X Hot Pro- this thing sounds perfect in my opinion. Love the feeling that you just smashed the crap out of the ball on good contact. Ball flight paired with the right shaft is out of this world perfect for me (mid with tons of roll out) and I swear I almost never lost this thing wildly in any direction, just straight balls all day long!

2. TaylorMade R1 (Black)- great look and I actually grew to like the sound of it after a while as much as I hated it at first. Really long too. If I didn't have the XHP in my bag all year this would have been in there at some point.

3. Callaway OptiForce 440- unfortunately I didn't get a bunch of time with this but I fell in love with it when I did get my hands on it. Love the look and the performance blew me away.

4. PING Anser- Not the longest driver I've hit but super accurate and really really cool looking!

5. Callaway Razr Fit Extreme- This was hands down my driver for 2013 when I first got ahold of it. Love the sound and the low spin makes it possible to just swing like crazy and never worry about losing a shot right or left. Ultimately the others won out based on some really good play when they were in the bag but this driver stacks up for sure.

Is it just me or is this a heavily Cobra favoured forum?! Honestly, I'm surprised at how many people have Cobra as #1!!! Awesome stuff.

Is it just me or is this a heavily Cobra favoured forum?! Honestly, I'm surprised at how many people have Cobra as #1!!! Awesome stuff.

Game recognizes game

Amp Cell was a game changer for so many.

People here tend to gravitate to what works by the end of the year. 2 years ago it was the Cleveland Classic and Razr Fit show and who knows what it will be next year.

1. G25
2. R1
3. Amp Cell Pro
4. X Hot
5. J40

1) R1 I still have it in my bag. Way more forgiving than the SLDR imho. And with a tip from JB on loft. I love it now

2) Optiforce 441 I almost pulled the trigger several times but decided to wait for Bertha. I loved hitting Freddies in Fla and had great numbers for me.

3) XHot Great looking driver that preformed very well for me. Was my driver before my R1

4) Amp Cell What a forgiving club face this one was also hard to not put in the bag.

5) RFE I was able to hit this club a few times. Just was to advanced for me at that point. But when I caught the ball. It launched.

Based on my one demo day experience:
1. Nike Covert with Tour shaft
2. TaylorMade R1 TP
3. Stage 2 TP
4. Adams Speedline LS
5. Bridgestone J40

1. Cobra Amp Cell Pro

2. Ping Anser

3. Ping G25

4. Callaway Xhot Pro

5. Titleist 913 D2

My personal experience...
1. 913 d3 with red tie
2. Covert performance with diamana ilima
3. Optiforce 440 with diamana kaili
4. Covert tour with 7m3 black tie
5. Optiforce 460 diamana s+

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

1) TM SLDR, 2)TM R1. 3)Titliest 913. 4) Cleveland custom. 5) Cobra amp cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I only tried two drivers this year, we don't get many testing opportunities down this way.
They were the SLDR and Amp Cell and I would put them in that order, but I would have liked to try the optiforce.

1) Cobra Amp Cell - this was a true game changer for me. I'm now very comfortable swinging for the fences, as I'm not worried that a miss will get me in trouble. The stock Fujikua Fuel is a fantastic shaft IMO. I'm currently working on finding the shaft that will make this the most perfect driver possible for me. Having a lot of fun in the process :)
2) TM R1 - great driver. I still love this club, even if the Amp Cell has replaced it in my bag. The R1 just loves to be hit purely. It's not as forgiving as the Amp Cell (few clubs are), but still moreso than many of the other options I swung in 2013. It also has a D4 swing weight which I really like. Not personally thrilled with the stock shaft options, but with an upgrade it sure is a nice club.

I hit a ton of other drivers while trying to find one I liked, but didn't spend enough time with any of them to put them in my top 5. The Covert Tour deserves a mention, I think. I came very close to buying that one more than a handful of times. I'm very excited about the 2014 lines, but it will be hard to unseat my #1... good luck, OEMs. You're going to need it ;)

I think I hit just about every driver released in 2013, most with extensive on course and range tests over the course of a couple of weeks, utilizing one preferred shaft cut to the same overall length in each driver.

1. Callaway Optiforce 460/440 - I loved the forgiveness and spring of the 460 better, but wish I could buy it in the lower 440 loft. Dual cog Optifit hosel is a dream. Sneaky long and surprisingly workable. Tried them late in the year with no high hopes, but they battered all comers.

2. Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour - Not as adjustable as other TMag products, I know. Just longer and more forgiving. When dialed in it gave me a reliable fade that was only bested by the Opti's.

3. Titleist 913d2 - Straight and reliable, but short. When gamed head to head with other clubs, it was never longer than any of them, but always in the fairway. Good, but obtuse, adjustment system.

4. Callaway RFE - Very long, but hard to control. I started the year with this as my honey, but I quickly dumped it in favor of other momentary favorites.

5. TMag SLDR - Didn't really like the club and my results were not really acceptable with it, but I've got to name five so it's here because I liked it better than many other rejects like the Amp cell and the Covert.

If I'm being honest, I have to say that I would rate many older drivers HIGHER than everything but my top 2 on this list (G25, RBZ 1 for example). Without question, the Nike Covert Tour 1.0 was the worst driver I tested this year. Great adjustable hosel, lousy feel, lousy launch numbers, unforgiving, and cheap build quality. Barely able to resell it for $75 less than six months after release. No reason for me to go near a Covert 2.0. The only way they could change it enough for me would be to paint a swoosh on someone else's head.

I have a Jetspeed in hand awaiting testing, looking forward to trying the Xhot2, both Berthas and the new Wilson. Might have to try the new Cleveland 588 Custom too.

Last edited:
During the year I tried a few drivers but purchased the X Hot Driver 10.5* driver and for the first time got fitted for the shaft, a Prolaunch Speedcoat Red 60 Regular shaft. It just unlocked the drivers potential. Long, Straight and forgiving....prefect. Just loving it.

1. Cobra Amp Cell - If there was a number higher than 1 I would give it to this driver, it just flat out performs head and tails above any other driver.
2. Callaway Optiforce - Such a great combination of performance, forgiveness and classic styling.
3. Taylormade SLDR - This driver really taught me that loft is your friend and can really help get you not only extra distance but more control.
4. Callaway X Hot Pro - The first thing that drew me in was the matte grey crown, but then you put a swing on it and it sinks your teeth into you.
5. Nike Covert - Seemed like such a change in head shape/design, was quite skeptical at first, but the color obviously grew on me and the performance speaks for itself.

1. Bridgestone J40 445 - It was new (to me) in 2013 and, IMO, it still is one of the best drivers on the market. Low spin and just has a wicked hot sweet spot. Nothing else has been able to push it out of my bag.

2. Callaway FT Optiforce 460 - Was just a bomber of a driver. I felt the shaft at 46" was a bit long, but it was one of the best drivers Callaway had put out in a long time. The addition of the new optifit adapter really allowed this driver to shine as well.

3. Cobra Amp Cell - Just an all around good driver. Between it and the Pro, you could really appeal to any type of golfer.

4. Callaway RFE - One of the best sounding drivers out there and really gave you great feedback on off center hits. Underrated for all the hype that the X-Hot line got.

5. Cleveland Classic Custom - Deep face, awesome forgiveness high and low off the face and the added ability of adjustability really made this driver versatile. Again, another driver that could fit a variety of golfers.

1. Cobra AMP Cell - the sound was good, the forgiveness was excellent, and the distance was good. Add a splash of color and the MyFly adapter and you have one hell of a driver.

2. Callaway RFE - Really liked this one. Liked the shape, the way it set up, and really liked the performance I saw from it.

3. Ping G25 - Really liked the finish on the club looks wise. For me it was kind of a point and shoot club. Definitely provided confidence off the tee.

4. Nike Covert - For me it was a fit, while I know not a lot of people loved it when I threw it in my bag it was a game changer.

5. I don't know, nothing else is standing out to me at the moment.

Back