How do you hold the club in lead hand?

C-Mac13

Addicted
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been taking a closer look at my grip with my left hand(right handed) as it relates to holding the club. I have a been holding the club in more of a 90 degree angle like the image below. Lately I have had a terrible time with hooks and snap hooks.
golf-grip-diagram.png

Yesterday while at the range I tried to hold the club more like the picture below and my shots where a little straighter with a couple going to the right.

Hogan-LeftHandGrip.jpg

My questions are how do you hold the club with your lead hand?
Have you experimented holding it differently and what were the results?

Thanks

I have always believed that the grip is the start if the swing.

I've developed a strong left hand. After years of slicing it was the first thing I changed. Just have to make sure it doesn't get too strong.

The V made between my pointer and thumb points to my right shoulder

Well, I guess I had a minor skim. With what is said above, I have more of a fingers grip than a palm grip
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've played around with that a little bit this year. I've moved from more in the fingers to more in the palm for experimenting's sake. Haney says a fingers grip can generate more club head speed, but can lead to a looser/hookier swing. I don't know if I can say I've noticed all that much difference.

I've always held the club in the fingers of my hand.

I've been working lately to weaken my grip on my right hand so I can stay aggressive through the hitting zone. I have seen a lot less hooks and pulls.

I've always held the club in the fingers of my hand.

I've been working lately to weaken my grip on my right hand so I can stay aggressive through the hitting zone. I have seen a lot less hooks and pulls.
So you hold it more like the first picture?

I've played around with that a little bit this year. I've moved from more in the fingers to more in the palm for experimenting's sake. Haney says a fingers grip can generate more club head speed, but can lead to a looser/hookier swing. I don't know if I can say I've noticed all that much difference.
Hank's video was the one that got me to try it differently.

I usually go with the second picture.

So you hold it more like the first picture?

I am right handed. But yes, similar to that. My left hand is more of the second picture.

I'm usually like the bottom picture out of Hogans book but I'm changing it just a little toward the palm more. I think it gives just a touch more club control at the top of the swing and allows for a better load with more power.

The way I hold the club in my left hand is a cross between the two pictures the OP posted.

You can see that the lower part of the grip (towards club head) is resting on big part of my index finger (like the bottom OP picture) but the butt of the club is right at the connecting joint of my small finger and rolling into my palm at that point.

I use the Hogan grip (bottom pic)

I use something more like the Hogan grip, except stronger. It's the only way I've felt like I can bow my wrist slightly at the top. As I see it, the left hand is what's guiding the club into a position where the right hand can more as forcefully as possible through the hitting zone, and I feel like that's the grip that lets me do it.

Let me try this. Do you hold it differently than the two pictures in the first thread?

No, except where Hogan mentions shorting his thumb because his tendency is to hook, I leave mine extended because I tend to fade the ball.

Over the years, especially when not playing much, I let my grip really get down into my palm. Along with a swing change, my coach had me really work on this last year when I was taking lessons. Keeping the club gripped with my fingers is something I still have to consciously make sure I'm doing.

My grip is more like the bottom picture. When I started to see a difference in my game in regards to my grip was when I changed my grips to oversized grips. That helped me more than my previous grip changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grip with the club going across these dots more or less. This is a photo of the glove I use at the range where I marked on it. It helps me because being left handed but playing righty my left hand gets too strong if I don't watch it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
I do a bit of a mix of both. a little in-between.

No, except where Hogan mentions shorting his thumb because his tendency is to hook, I leave mine extended because I tend to fade the ball.
Interesting about the thumb. I think I need to get that book. Thanks

My grip is more like the bottom picture. When I started to see a difference in my game in regards to my grip was when I changed my grips to oversized grips. That helped me more than my previous grip changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That made a big differnce for me as well. I use over sized grips.

I grip with the club going across these dots more or less. This is a photo of the glove I use at the range where I marked on it. It helps me because being left handed but playing righty my left hand gets too strong if I don't watch it.
That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

Interesting about the thumb. I think I need to get that book. Thanks

I think it is the best book out there IMO. If ya listen to Breeze & othe PGA instructors, they teach along those lines/ philosophies. Even my Golftec coach does pretty much

Good artical about when Haney had Tiger change his grip to holding it more in his palm.

"Grip changes are huge decisions for pros, because in the short term they're uncomfortable and greatly affect feel. So I told Tiger, "Look, I just want to show you something. Just keep an open mind and try it for me, OK?" He looked at me skeptically. I demonstrated the grip I wanted him to try, then put his left hand on his 5-iron and showed him how I wanted him to hold the club more in his palm. He immediately said, "I can't do this." I quickly said, "Yeah, I know it feels weird, but just try it." He took the new grip, placing his right hand also with more of his palm, and waggled the club. "There is no way," he said. I repeated my urging, putting a ball in front of him to hit. He got over the ball and complained, "I can't even cock my wrists." I said, "Just hit one." He stood over the ball for a longer time than usual, then swung. The sound of the impact was distinctive. Tiger's shots always made a great sound, but this was even more "flush." The ball flight was ideal as well. Tiger was visibly astounded that he'd hit such a perfect shot with such an uncomfortable feeling. He looked at me and said, "Show me that grip again." I put his hands on the club, and he once again said, "I can't hit the ball with this grip." I answered, "You just did." He hit two more shots solidly and went, "Wow." After about a dozen more balls, he looked at me and said, "I'm going with it."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2012-04/haney-woods-book-excerpt?currentPage=2#ixzz2puzC2Lks"

I think it is the best book out there IMO. If ya listen to Breeze & othe PGA instructors, they teach along those lines/ philosophies. Even my Golftec coach does pretty much
I'm going to give it a read. Thanks

Back